Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

NFL versus Rugby

I've played both, and agree it's apples and oranges. But I will say this....football is the tougher game physically, based on punishment. NOTHING feels like being hit or delivering a hit on special teams. Not even a sick open-ice hit in hockey...NOTHING.

canadianhitman said:
I've played both, and agree it's apples and oranges. But I will say this....football is the tougher game physically, based on punishment. NOTHING feels like being hit or delivering a hit on special teams. Not even a sick open-ice hit in hockey...NOTHING.

Try being in the front row at a decent level of rugby, you have 8 huge people delivering a hit at once.:)

What about having your face stomped on repeatedly? Lifting in the lineouts? pushing in the scrums? sprinting across the field? keeping up with play and making tackles?

Rugby crosses more fitness boundaries than football, thats why it's a tougher game.

RugbyNut

Rugby is more high paced ,its better because the lack of stop and go makes for more entertainment, from a player standpoint(I flank) and all I do is hit hit hit ,I have also played football and its nothing compaired to rugby. I had a mole almost removed off my back from being racked by metal cleats not those damned rubber ones football players use.

I challange anyone who thinks football is better to flank in a rugby game even for a half, its brutal the running never stops

rugby players play for 45, have a ten minute break then another 45 min. then you forgot that that lifting 18 stone locks in line outs and then battling out in a scrum. no american football player could take a hit from a rugby player without pads on. the reason why nfl hits are harder is cause they got nothing to worry bout, covered in padding sorted.
in rugby when you get tackled the game doesnt stop, you have to get up off your feet, ruck for the ball in a massive pile up, just to run again. did i mention mauls, about 8 vs 8 mauls pushing and when it collapses, its chaos.
the problem with you yanks is that you have this idea your amazing at everything,
cause ur fucking amazing at everything, you fucking made up some sports that no one else plays just so you can be amazing.
give us a ring when you grow some balls

I have not played either of the two but, It's very hard to compare it. I just see that football has a more physical game than rugby. :)

Apples and oranges.

NFL allows stronger / powerful, heavier players in certain positions because those guys don't have to develop a high level of aerobic fitness as a front 5 rugby player does as well. Plenty of guys in both sports running <11 second 100m sprints.

US rugby team is mediocre because - understandably - all the best collegiate players who like contact sports go NFL where they can make millions a season & earn fame across North America. No contest really, whereas our soccer players most of them don't have a physique that allows them to choose between either sport to a high level.

As it was said, apples to oranges... There are some great athletes in Rugby (Sonny Bill Williams, Matt Giteau, Dan Carter). As there is in Football. Football is an explosive sport, where as Rugby players need no pads and have to run a 12
+ on the dreaded beep test.

I played MLB in Highschool and transitioned to flanker in college. The demands of rugby overall when you consider both conditioning and strength are far greater than in football. At the professional level, NFL players typically need to be active for about 12 minutes per game. With Rugby, that number is closer to 60 minutes.

Additionally, both of the positions i played for football and the one I currently play for rugby typically rack up the most tackles per game. I was a very good MLB and averaged about 8 tackles per game. In rugby I was averaging 15 or so tackles per game. The top recruited highschool linebackers may have around 15 tackles per game... if they're lucky.

In hs football i suffered no major injuries and only the occasional sprain, strain, or pulled muscle.

In Rugby I come home and sit in an ice bath every day. I have broken my nose several times, been in 10+ fights/brawls on the field, broken arm, ribs, had 15 stitches down my arm, been cleated in the face, and kneed in rucks more times than I can count.

The best way to describe rugby to a non-player would be to imagine placing 30 men on a field and telling them to beat the shit out of eachother.

Top Bottom