Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how pathetic is this.. a professional basketball player tips my girl 0 dollars on an 83 dollar check..

• Thread starter Thread starter Phaded
  • Start date Start date
if you made less then 4 dollars an hour in tips you did the right thing by quitting... MOST halfway decent servers at a typical applebees type restaurant make 12-14 an hour in tips alone.

Re: how pathetic is this.. a professional basketball player tips my girl 0 dollars on

madbomber31 said:
if you made less then 4 dollars an hour in tips you did the right thing by quitting... MOST halfway decent servers at a typical applebees type restaurant make 12-14 an hour in tips alone.

If you're referring to my post.......I'm talking about pay before tips....

I have worked all my life in the service industry and I ALWAYS leave 20% if the service was adequate. If it was exceptional then I give more. If the service is any less than adequate I leave no monetary tip - but I DO leave them "a tip in writing".

I have only had to do this once and let me tell ya, it was swwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeet!

As for who I date. NEVER would any man I dated leave less than 20% - otherwise there is no second date. That server is there to take care of your every need while you are out. If you are too cheap I dont want to be embarrassed by being in your company. If you are too poor then dont go out.

JayC9 said:
The proprietors made the choice of pricing their menu, the waiters and staff made the choice to work knowing the rate of pay, the customer pays the bill total and tips as they see fit. Nowhere is there pressure on anyone to do something that they don't have to so don't give me horseshit about food cost and operating expenses.

You're saying that a tip is expected if the patron would like good service? That defeats the whole purpose of a tip.

Do you have any concept of what a social norm is? If you have read any of this discussion the servers have specifically stated if you don't give a tip you will not get good service. Yes that is the social norm... and it is enforced through individuals actions of the staff, and even the people who are eating with you. The restaraunt owner will even back their employees decision to give you poor service as well as the other patrons! Servers DO add their expected tip income to their wage because often the tip income is about the same as their wage at LEAST. You want to believe a tip is something other then what the majority of society believes go ahead but don't think you'll make any friends that way. The pressure comes from people and how they treat you... unless all your friends and family don't believe in tipping as well and you never step out of your tight circle to walk amongst the rest of the world. It's called respect for other people... expect to pay a 15-20% tip unless you receive poor service because that is the the social norm.

Even if you think it would be better just to adjust the menu prices to compinsate for paying waiters higher wages, why would we change just to convienience you? You would lose a simple choice. I like the incentive it gives a server to do a good job... why do you even need justification for the way things are when this social norm has hardly any destructive potential and simply adds to your experience and in fact has a mostly beneficial impact. Do you live your life by only doing the things you have to do? You are why restaurants add the tip automatically, why we have laws, and why there are consequences for destructive behavior resulting from the lack of care and respect you show for other people... sorry man life isn't autonomous for everyone and human beings especially will shoot you down for your lack of care and respect, but if you want to live autonomously by yourself be my guest but that simply is not how the world works for most people.

dullboy said:
dullboy says bullshit.

tipping for U.S. waitstaff is customary.

you're just cheap.
There is no law that states one must tip therefore it is a personal choice, simple as that...now go fold napkins.

jews and super rich people don't usually tip. i've been at many bat mizvahs or bar mitzvahs. those mother fuckers would rather lose a pint of blood than tip a dollar.

duke of angels said:
Do you have any concept of what a social norm is? If you have read any of this discussion the servers have specifically stated if you don't give a tip you will not get good service. Yes that is the social norm... and it is enforced through individuals actions of the staff, and even the people who are eating with you. The restaraunt owner will even back their employees decision to give you poor service as well as the other patrons! Servers DO add their expected tip income to their wage because often the tip income is about the same as their wage at LEAST. You want to believe a tip is something other then what the majority of society believes go ahead but don't think you'll make any friends that way. The pressure comes from people and how they treat you... unless all your friends and family don't believe in tipping as well and you never step out of your tight circle to walk amongst the rest of the world. It's called respect for other people... expect to pay a 15-20% tip unless you receive poor service because that is the the social norm.

Even if you think it would be better just to adjust the menu prices to compinsate for paying waiters higher wages, why would we change just to convienience you? You would lose a simple choice. I like the incentive it gives a server to do a good job... why do you even need justification for the way things are when this social norm has hardly any destructive potential and simply adds to your experience and in fact has a mostly beneficial impact. Do you live your life by only doing the things you have to do? You are why restaurants add the tip automatically, why we have laws, and why there are consequences for destructive behavior resulting from the lack of care and respect you show for other people... sorry man life isn't autonomous for everyone and human beings especially will shoot you down for your lack of care and respect, but if you want to live autonomously by yourself be my guest but that simply is not how the world works for most people.
Lack of care and respect, autonomous life? What the fuck are you talking about? Where exactly did I say that I never tip? I'm simply stating that it is my choice.

Here's my tip for you, read and understand before making assumptions.

Re: how pathetic is this.. a professional basketball player tips my girl 0 dollars on

jenscats5 said:
Not to discredit your little story there, but I've worked as a waitress & for McDonalds & the difference between the pay is:

Waitress: $2.10 per hour
McDonaldss: $6.00+ per hour (at the time, above minimum wage)

So even claiming 1/2 the tips as a waitress, you are still claiming a lower hourly wage than working at McD's..........

duulboy says hi jenscat5...

he was quoting a scene from a quentin tarrantino film.

JayC9 said:
There is no law that states one must tip therefore it is a personal choice, simple as that...now go fold napkins.

dullboy says that there's plenty of dignity in folding napkins.

do you think that's an insult? maybe you lack character.

everyone is aware that there are no laws mandating tipping, other than pre-arranged gratuities in a service contract at say a catering hall or large parties at a restaurant.

cheap people like yourself fascinate dullboy. dullboy could get into all the psy stuff detailing the causes for your anti-social, abnormal behavior, but he thinks it's more fun just to call you a cheapskate.

Top Bottom