Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how pathetic is this.. a professional basketball player tips my girl 0 dollars on an 83 dollar check..

• Thread starter Thread starter Phaded
  • Start date Start date
growing up in the middle class suburbs, having my parents pay for everything, i didn't give much thought to tipping.

after graduating from college, getting a "real" job and getting out in the real world, i became friends with peeps who worked in the HRT (hotel, restaurant and tourism) business. i heard their stories of working for minimum wage (or less) and what they went thru dealing with the public and depending on tips for a major part of their income. i came to appreciate the art of tipping adequately for services provided.

20% is my MINIMUM tip in restaurants. exceptional service/requests deserve a higher tip. i never tip less than 10% for poor/shoddy service...and if i do i leave a WRITTEN note explaining why.

JayC9 said:
It's a point of view, it's called playing the devils advocate for the sake of discussion, it is no reflection on what I do in my personal life so stop assuming.

So you admit your presented comments and way of thinking are wrong and were merely presented for argument?

So why take it personally if playing devil's advocate?

Sorry I thought that your opinions represented the true way you think...I should have assumed with your argument from outer space you were playing devil's advocate!

I'm not really sorry. I'm joking.

JayC9 said:
It's a point of view, it's called playing the devils advocate for the sake of discussion, it is no reflection on what I do in my personal life so stop assuming.

dullboy says the strawman commeth

rnch said:
growing up in the middle class suburbs, having my parents pay for everything, i didn't give much thought to tipping.

after graduating from college, getting a "real" job and getting out in the real world, i became friends with peeps who worked in the HRT (hotel, restaurant and tourism) business. i heard their stories of working for minimum wage (or less) and what they went thru dealing with the public and depending on tips for a major part of their income. i came to appreciate the art of tipping adequately for services provided.

20% is my MINIMUM tip in restaurants. exceptional service/requests deserve a higher tip. i never tip less than 10% for poor/shoddy service...and if i do i leave a WRITTEN note explaining why.

dullboy says good on you.

dullboy clearly likes to get tips.

yet I was always under the assumption that if you get ok service, you tip, great service you tip appropriately. terrible service, then you or your waiters will get nothing but the lint in my pocket.

i tip the exact same way rnch works.. but my girl has worked in the restaurant industry since for 5 years.. i think people who've dabbled or have knowledge in the industry will tip more than others that dont..

Any person who can say that tipping a server in a restaurant is a personal choice, not required, and that the servers are very well aware of what they are getting into, having to accept the fact that people just don't have to tip them so suck it up, is not only cheap, but pathetic in trying to revamp their cheapskatedness into an acceptable practice.

Wake up, for it's basically cheating someone out of their livelihood. Servers rely on tips, not their paycheques, and if they couldn't depend on tips, then they wouldn't in their right minds do that job, which is bone tiring and deserving of a generous tip.

While waiting to be licenced in my profession, I took a job as a server and gained a new respect for anyone in that industry. I worked long hours and didn't get tipped enough probably 80% of the time. In my experience at this particular restaurant, older adults and young people always undertipped. The best tips came from the tourists visiting from the U.S., and the second best came from the suits at the lunch hour. The worst times were when I served parties of 20 or 30 people, and they walked out without leaving a tip, leaving me a huge mess to clean up. After that happened a couple of times, I demanded that the tip be automatically added to the bill, as restaurants here are permitted to do with groups of 8 or larger. When my manager refused after yet another party walked out and left me zero, I told him to have fun cleaning up the mess, and walked out. After only one month of working there, I had the top sales in booze in the dining room.

I tip 25% of my bill before tax. If the bill is low, I'll tip more. If a server is having a rough day and the service isn't the greatest, I still tip. The only servers I feel should not be tipped are the ones with bad attitudes and a rude manner. Patrons are also paying to have a pleasant experience.

People who don't tip at least 20% are coming back in their next life as the corns and calluses on the feet of servers. ;)

Top Bottom