Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Example of how Bibllical History is contrived (made up)

krishna said:
A true logician CAN and WILL present a logical argument in favor of their beliefs, no matter how illogical they may seem. I'm asking them to step outside of faith and at least apply some logic to thier beliefs. It can and has been done, even with christianity. There have been many great catholic theologians who have contributed a great deal to logic and philosophy throughout history.

So, in other words, your not asking whether or not there are logical arguments. But rather, if someone from EF can contribute further on the already existing logical arguments that theologians have contributed throughout history already.
Let's see here. If someone experienced some type of apparition at some point in their lives (or witnessed a UFO, or had a premonition that came true, or any "supernatural" experience that defies common beliefs), that person would likely go throughout their lives believing that apparitions exist. Someone would be hard-pressed to convince that person that what he experienced was impossible or simply not true.
For someone who questions the validity of that person's experience, he may ask that person to establish validity of that experience by applying logic to it. But is the believer necessarily in a position to do that? Not everyone who experiences something supernatural is a natural-born philosopher or a true theologian. The same is true for those who have been touched in some way by a spiritual awakening. Their beliefs don't stem from our formal principles of reasoning, but despite it.
So the question isn't whether or not someone can successfully apply logic to their personal faith and/or beliefs, the question is whether or not logic is relevent for those who truly believe. We already know that being able to apply logic is essential for non-believers.

megamania500 said:
So, in other words, your not asking whether or not there are logical arguments. But rather, if someone from EF can contribute further on the already existing logical arguments that theologians have contributed throughout history already.
Let's see here. If someone experienced some type of apparition at some point in their lives (or witnessed a UFO, or had a premonition that came true, or any "supernatural" experience that defies common beliefs), that person would likely go throughout their lives believing that apparitions exist. Someone would be hard-pressed to convince that person that what he experienced was impossible or simply not true.
For someone who questions the validity of that person's experience, he may ask that person to establish validity of that experience by applying logic to it. But is the believer necessarily in a position to do that? Not everyone who experiences something supernatural is a natural-born philosopher or a true theologian. The same is true for those who have been touched in some way by a spiritual awakening. Their beliefs don't stem from our formal principles of reasoning, but despite it.
So the question isn't whether or not someone can successfully apply logic to their personal faith and/or beliefs, the question is whether or not logic is relevent for those who truly believe. We already know that being able to apply logic is essential for non-believers.

I was thinking arguments aside from personal experience. Say for instance, the problem of evil, the problem of omnipotence, the divine foreknowledge and free will dilemma. I know philosophy professors who are devout christians and have good logical arguments in favor of their beliefs. I'm just trying to get these guys thinking logically so that they won't get slaughtered in debates like these. There are even ways to base valid logical arguments on experience. And yes, my question was whether or not someone could apply logic to their beliefs.

God told me that you are all full of crap.

krishna said:
I was thinking arguments aside from personal experience. Say for instance, the problem of evil, the problem of omnipotence, the divine foreknowledge and free will dilemma. I know philosophy professors who are devout christians and have good logical arguments in favor of their beliefs. I'm just trying to get these guys thinking logically so that they won't get slaughtered in debates like these. There are even ways to base valid logical arguments on experience. And yes, my question was whether or not someone could apply logic to their beliefs.
im interested to hear what you think a logical argument is for Christianity... any examples?...

God still hasn't showed up to settle this argument??? Hmmmmmmm. I wonder what the truth is. Noone may ever know, even after you die.

theprofessor said:
im interested to hear what you think a logical argument is for Christianity... any examples?...
^^^no reply? no logical argument? im trying to learn here... and if you know of some logical arguments for Christianity i would appreciate if you shared them...

theprofessor said:
^^^no reply? no logical argument? im trying to learn here... and if you know of some logical arguments for Christianity i would appreciate if you shared them...

I'll see if I can round up some of my old notes from philosophy of religion in college. I mainly focus on the arguments opposed to christianity so the ones for it aren't fresh in my mind right now. Don't let me forget bro, I'll round some stuff up for you.

krishna said:
I'll see if I can round up some of my old notes from philosophy of religion in college. I mainly focus on the arguments opposed to christianity so the ones for it aren't fresh in my mind right now. Don't let me forget bro, I'll round some stuff up for you.

This thread is about to take a really twisted turn. Hang on.

Top Bottom