Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

boxing and lifting

Synpax

I spec'd out a boxing gym and I'm probably going to sign up. I never did this stuff before. My routine right now is running in mornings, lift in afternoons - and 3-4 times a week I would go boxing after work.

I told the coach this and he said I could do whatever I wanted but you can't lift and box at the same time.

If I were already built, I would be cool with one or the other - but I really need further development of muscle and, honestly, love lifting and could never give it up.

Thoughts on this?

i have a sifu who tells me the same

the fact still remains i can hit harder than anyone else in the class pound 4 pound whilst being smaller in stature than most of them (in fact there is only 1 guy i think who has more power and he's 7ft and built like a viking). i couldnt achieve this without weights

he's obviously labouring under the myth (IMHO) that muscle slows you down, but provided you do it right (heavy compound reps, plylometric exercises, olympic lifts) you should be able to keep your muscle fast twitch IMHO...

i'll never totally give up weights, purely for the reason that i think power is a HELL of a lot in a fight, and i personally could never develop that kind of power thru push ups alone

I think that Danielson is right. There are a lot old ideas and myths out there in regards to lifting and sport. I do think that it is possible to get too bulky for a sport such as boxing, but I also believe that strength training is a very important element.

Synpax said:
... you can't lift and box at the same time.
That's crap. Danielson is correct(imagine that:) ) One of the main mistakes boxers make is not developing adequate power to exceed a certain level of performance in the ring. This is not going to happen ringside with a medicine ball...its going to happen in a cage with a bunch of iron and a cloud of chalk.

Yeah, I figured that. My running coaches tell me the same thing, but I can't divorce my beloved wife - iron.

Thanks, K all around.

If youre training boxing (hard, that is) just try to lift 2x a week. Any boxing trainer that says "lifting is bad", etc, is in the dark ages.

You most certainly can and should lift weights and box at the same time. You should train a little differently in the weight room. You don't want to bulk up. Rather, try to be explosive when doing a movement. This will help your "explosiveness" when your whipping out your punches.

Top Bottom