Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Should sports be compulsory

Should sports be compulsory in public schools?

• YES -- 1+ hours per day.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • YES -- 1 hour per day.

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Sports should be optional.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There should be no physical activity during school hours.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

KIAN

Just wondering what your thoughts were on making physical activity, compulsory in public schools from K1 to graduation.

The reason I ask is because alot of schools have cut athletic programs to the point now were only a handful of the truly dedicated students actually perform any type of physical activity per day. I work at a gym and I am seeing young guys and girls coming in who are severly out of shape and they are only in their mid-teens. I respect them for taking that big step in joining a gym but it is sad to see the shape they are in at such a young age.

I will be looking for a school in a couple of years for my son/daughter and having sports as part of the curriculum will be high on the list. I don't expect them to be the next Mr. Universe or an Olympic athelete as I know that there are individuals who are hopeless (although skilled in other areas) when it comes to sports but it does offer so much to young kids. For one it keeps them fit & active. It also helps them interact with others and have fun.

The school I attended had compulsory sports each day for all students with additional, optional, activities after school.

Compulsory sport every day sounds a bit excessive. Those who are good at/ enjoy sport will do it anyway - you risk alienating the rest, maybe permanently, by forcing them into it. Much better to have the opportunity available with plenty of encouragement and a small amount of compulsion (once or twice a week as an introduction to different activities).

Not necessarily sports, per se, but physical activity. For those who are clumsy, unco-ordinated & just plain shy, there should be sympathetic guidance from teachers, not the abuse that is normally spewed by phys ed "teachers". Our children & their future is worth the effort.

HiDnGoD said:
Not necessarily sports, per se, but physical activity. For those who are clumsy, unco-ordinated & just plain shy, there should be sympathetic guidance from teachers, not the abuse that is normally spewed by phys ed "teachers". Our children & their future is worth the effort.

I definitely agree. Not every kid is going to be an all-state line backer or blocker in volleyball. It's important to help kids find physical activities that they can enjoy and use the rest of their lives. Perhaps the cutting of PE programs is due to people remembering how much their own experiene in PE absolutely sucked? Just something to think about. The old days of just teaching the basic sports in their respective season is over-things such as cardio, yoga, fishing, and other activities are important to introduce kids to. :coffee:

There is not the time or financing available in the American public school system for mandatory "sports" ... an exercise class. Kids hate these classes anyway because it is just chaos and an excuse for bullies to beat on the smaller kid.

A shower afterwards? LOL ... No way and still make it to the next class.

Organized athletics are available for those who want to pay. Exercise after normal school hours is available for any kid so motivated.

Is there a need? Of course. Our kids are the most obese in the world. Can't afford it though.

In my state, the emphasis is on math, science and now foreign language.

HiDnGoD said:

I dont know how it works in the States. Here in the UK almost all the guy's played basketball or football during breaks and lunch hour (I even used the school gym after school as well). I think physical education was mandatory twice a week when I was there, and one was a double sesh.

Assertive Guy said:
I dont know how it works in the States. Here in the UK almost all the guy's played basketball or football during breaks and lunch hour (I even used the school gym after school as well). I think physical education was mandatory twice a week when I was there, and one was a double sesh.
Weeeeeeell, let's put it this way. When I was a child, I wasn't fat. But I wasn't skinny either. I was shy, unco-ordinated & we moved a lot, so I had very few friends. We had Phys Ed, every other day, & I played with my brother a lot, but as far as sports went, there was nothing 'til grade 6, for me.
In High School, if you didn't play one of the big sports, then the Phys Ed teachers just gave you drills to do. No advice, motivation, or guidance.
I didn't get physique aware until I was in the army, at 18.

canadianhitman said:
An hour of physical activity each day should be mandatory from Kindergarten through Grade 8.

As it should be ... activity has been shown to increase mental alertness and concentration .

Top Bottom