Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pet help - Dog with intense unrelenting itching

the open wound needs to be addressed...and that will likely require a vet trip...but things like betadine are safe for dogs, as is hydrocortisone

I'd put money on the dog has a food allergy though as the underlying problem...and even more money a vet won't diagnose it as such...though theres a common parasite that dogs get that requires an ivermectin shot with follow up with an antifungal shampoo

my exes dog is allergic to like 9 different common pet food ingredients and his initial reaction is always dry itchy skin and a friend of mine has a huge kennel that has a cpl of dogs with food allergies..also resulting in dry itchy skin...corn is a really common culprit
theres about a million different dog foods out there that are good for this...a duck and potato blend is the most common and can be found at places like petco
I'd recommend flint river ranch tho....all of my dogs really did amazing on the stuff, from a pitt with sugar problems(beets added to dog food) to a jack with urinary stones..
you can buy it online and its delivered to your door (only way to get it)..the stuff seems expensive until you realize they eat half as much of the stuff and just get great even energy levels/moods, really incredible coats/eyes etc and amazing lean muscle tone

or you know...ignore me and make a shitty comment (chris/plank)

My only thing telling me its not a food thing is that he has used the same food forever and molly only got itchy in the last 4/5 months with it getting worse as time went on (she is about seven years old I guess). Am I wrong? Can dogs become allergic over time?

Next time I see him I'll try the "open wound - infection possibility" route to get him to take her. Right now it's scabbed over again, but who knows how long it will last or if the stuff I got will provide enough relief for her not to try and rub it off again.

Animals can develop allergies over time. Actually, what usually is happening is they've always had a low grade intolerance to the food/object/product (they can get dermatitis from household cleaners or even seasonally from the environment, like humans get hayfever). When they're younger their immune systems take care of the problem or the intolerance manifests in more subtle ways (like with food, out of the blue the dog gets diarrhea or vomits, or is just gassy all the time). When animals get older, just like us, the little things start taking a harder toll and seven is solidly middle aged for a dog. Unbalanced diets are the most likely culprit because a lot of people generally cheap out on pet food and virtually never read the label. Dietary deficiencies can actually build up over time, and manifest in a lot of weird ways, but the condition of the skin/hair/coat/teeth always show an animal's general health state.

Honestly, if he loves his dog to death you'd think he would care if it's got a hole in it!

Atta girl

the open wound needs to be addressed...and that will likely require a vet trip...but things like betadine are safe for dogs, as is hydrocortisone

I'd put money on the dog has a food allergy though as the underlying problem...and even more money a vet won't diagnose it as such...though theres a common parasite that dogs get that requires an ivermectin shot with follow up with an antifungal shampoo

my exes dog is allergic to like 9 different common pet food ingredients and his initial reaction is always dry itchy skin and a friend of mine has a huge kennel that has a cpl of dogs with food allergies..also resulting in dry itchy skin...corn is a really common culprit
theres about a million different dog foods out there that are good for this...a duck and potato blend is the most common and can be found at places like petco
I'd recommend flint river ranch tho....all of my dogs really did amazing on the stuff, from a pitt with sugar problems(beets added to dog food) to a jack with urinary stones..
you can buy it online and its delivered to your door (only way to get it)..the stuff seems expensive until you realize they eat half as much of the stuff and just get great even energy levels/moods, really incredible coats/eyes etc and amazing lean muscle tone

or you know...ignore me and make a shitty comment (chris/plank)

Honestly, if he loves his dog to death you'd think he would care if it's got a hole in it!

Sigh. I know he loves her, he is just stubborn to a fault. She seems to be resting comfortably by my bed right now, but I'm definitely going to look into hypoalergenic food the next time I'm running errands.

Clearly you and I are roommates and didnt know....

My french bulldog has the EXACT same problem, we took her to the vet and he billed us $250 to test for mange, give her antibiotics and prednisone and she's still itchy (no open wound though) we changed her dog food and same issue happens, he told us he can do a full allergy panel for $300 to see if she is allergic to something particular, that will have to be our next step.

We had tried those anti itch sprays but they did nothing for her..... clothing seems to sooth her and her desire to each,I've heard thunder shirts are good but it's too hot here to try that for her... they are 100% money back guaranteed.

The dog may be anxious, our DR told us our Onix has OCD and gave her anxiety pills.... seems anxiety can cause it so make sure he is relaxed and walked, what breed is he?

My only thing telling me its not a food thing is that he has used the same food forever and molly only got itchy in the last 4/5 months with it getting worse as time went on (she is about seven years old I guess). Am I wrong? Can dogs become allergic over time?

Next time I see him I'll try the "open wound - infection possibility" route to get him to take her. Right now it's scabbed over again, but who knows how long it will last or if the stuff I got will provide enough relief for her not to try and rub it off again.

I had my dog on the same adult food from when she was 1-3. It started getting really bad in her 3rd year, by about 3 and a half I switched the food to a duck/potato hypoallergenic blend and shes now 4 and a half and doing great. It's worth a shot if your room mate won't take her to the vet.

Top Bottom