Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

NFL ... sport of thugs

I think if you feel the need to physically discipline your child, there's no reason it should ever be hard enough to leave a mark past a couple minutes.

Blood and bruises isn't going to teach that kid a lesson he couldn't have learned without them. And at 4 years old, because a child that young doesn't/can't always correctly connect the dots, you may be mistakenly teaching them to take their anger out by hurting others. A 4 year old might not always get "I did x, so they did y", they might get "dad is mad, when dad is mad he does y, so when I get mad, I do y".

dabuffguy, you might change your mind when you have kids.

my oldest boy is 18 months and he gets his ass tore up for a certain things that won't be tolerated at any age

I think if you feel the need to physically discipline your child, there's no reason it should ever be hard enough to leave a mark past a couple minutes.

Blood and bruises isn't going to teach that kid a lesson he couldn't have learned without them. And at 4 years old, because a child that young doesn't/can't always correctly connect the dots, you may be mistakenly teaching them to take their anger out by hurting others. A 4 year old might not always get "I did x, so they did y", they might get "dad is mad, when dad is mad he does y, so when I get mad, I do y".

No offense but this is exactly boys need a father figure. When the "timeout"and "sit down and talk about it" didn't work, my dad beat my ass

No offense but this is exactly boys need a father figure. When the "timeout"and "sit down and talk about it" didn't work, my dad beat my ass

my pops was the same way.. if my mom couldn't get thru to me.. she would just wait for him to get home.. then that was the end of what ever I was doing.

I'm confused by this whole situation. Since when did minorities begin beating their children instead of abandoning them?

When I was a boy I came home out of breath. My pop asked, "why are you breathing so hard?"

I replied, "I ran all the way home behind the city bus and saved 25 cents"

He started beating the crap out of me. I said dad, "why are you hitting me".

He answered, "You should have ran home behind a taxi and saved 5 dollars"

I'll agree with that.

However, just changing the tone of my voice is enough to get the kids to listen.

Sit down and talk about it never works. Kids don't learn behavior from their parents' words. I'd say talking about it is more so meant to foster respect and deepen understanding - a verbal check that your kid drew the correct conclusion. It won't work alone, ever.

I also don't think time out is a valid punishment for any behavior other than the child throwing a tantrum who needs to calm down, because it's directly related to the cause, which a punishment, in my opinion, always should be.

There should be no such thing as an umbrella punishment, a go-to punishment.

Beating a kid's ass will get them to stop, but not necessarily because they now understand the real consequence for their actions or why shouldn't do whatever they did.

...but I won't disagree that boys need a father figure. :)

I'll agree with that.

However, just changing the tone of my voice is enough to get the kids to listen.

Yeah, that's always my first choice. I hate spanking my boy but it's gotta happen, especially for stuff like throwing toys at the baby or swinging at his mom.

Sit down and talk about it never works. Kids don't learn behavior from their parents' words. I'd say talking about it is more so meant to foster respect and deepen understanding - a verbal check that your kid drew the correct conclusion. It won't work alone, ever.

I also don't think time out is a valid punishment for any behavior other than the child throwing a tantrum who needs to calm down, because it's directly related to the cause, which a punishment, in my opinion, always should be.

There should be no such thing as an umbrella punishment, a go-to punishment.

Beating a kid's ass will get them to stop, but not necessarily because they now understand the real consequence for their actions or why shouldn't do whatever they did.

...but I won't disagree that boys need a father figure. :)

The earlier you draw the dots, the quicker they'll learn to connect those MFers.

Top Bottom