Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

NFL Forecast

Thick dog

after much thought, here is what I think will happen this year...

In the NFC title game I like the Eagles over the Rams. I think the Rams are the most talented team in the league, but tend to struggle with good defenses. The Eagles have perhaps the best and most physical defense in the NFL, and they match up well with all the other NFC powerhouses (remeber what they did to the Bucs and Bears in the Playoffs) and I don't think they are afraid of the Rams anymore, which a lotof the NFC teams are. If only the Eagles could have picked up a good runningback to help out McNabb. They're offense is basically McNabb, the best all around QB in the league and probably MVP candidate, surrounded by a bunch of role players. And, while the Rams have a very good defense, they tend to be a little "soft" at times.

In the AFC title game I like the Steelers over the Colts. I like the Steelers because they have one the top 2-3 defenses in the league, a great pass rush, are extremely physical, and have a bruising offensive line and good running game. While I'm not 100% sold on Kordell stewart, if he can limit his turnovers, they're recievers are good enough to make plays on they're own. The Colts may be a stretch, but if Edgerrin James comes back the same as before his injury, they have a balanced offensive attack capable of scoring 30 points a game. Edgerrin is also the total package who can run on anyone, he has speed to outrun physical defenses and power to run through finesse defenses. While the don't have a lot of talent on defense, Dungy has always gotten the most out of his defenses, with awesome scheming.

I like the Eagles to beat the Steelers for no particular reason other than I think they are better.

Other notable teams that should be interesting...

The 49ers should be awesome, but they have serious matchup problems with the Rams and I think they defense isn't quite the rock-em-sock unit that tehy will need to reach the Superbowl. And Garrison Hearst has made incredible strides since his nearcareer ending injury, but I don't know if he can hold up another full season.

The Bears have an awesome defense, somwehat similar to the Ravens of a couple years ago...dominant middle linebacker making plays behind two mammoth tackles. But the Bears don't have the pass rushing ends and the shutdown cornerbacks that the Ravens had. I also think they're offense overachieved last year, especially Jim Miller. I don't like him going against an awesome defense in the playoffs.

The Bucs should be an interesting team in the NFC. With the arrival of Gruden and departure of Dungy, I think they're offense gains a lot and they're defense loses a little, which may be what they need. In the end though, they're defense is getting older each year with a lot of guys nearing the end of they're primes and they have no deep threat on offense. Not that any of they're QB's would be able to get them the ball if they did anyway. The offense will be better, but they're limited talent on will keep them from beating a good defense in the playoffs.

i don't expect as much from the Packers as last year. They're defense is suspect and not strong anywhere. It's hard to bet agianst Brett Favre, especially with Ahman Green behind him, but it may take him a few games to find a go-to reciever.

The Redskins I think will make the playoffs, however, mainly because they're defense is one the best in the league. Spurrier's offense will thrive against weaker defenses and they will be some blowouts. But I think good defense will manhandle his recievers and hold them in check. They will be inconsistant. they may win one playoff game by 40 points, then get shutdown in the next. Consistancy is what gets you to the superbowl

Although I don't think he is anything spectacular, Ricky Williams should be a good fit with the Dolphins. A brusing runner who can move the chains and a decent reciever. The problem with the Dolphins is I'm scared if the game falls in the hands of Feidler in the playoffs when they paly a good defense that takes Williams away. And as good as they're defense is, they are a finesse defense who has a habit of becoming "soft" in the playoffs. Put Dan Marino on this team and I pick them to go to the Super bowl.

The Patriots will be lucky to make the playoffs this year. Great chemsitry last year, mediocre talent. Chemistry is usually short lived in the NFL.

It's hard not to pick the Raiders, but how much longer can they're offense do it. Rice, brown, and Gannon are all on borrowed time. they say Charlie Garner is going to be the featured back, but it will turn in to a runningback-b -committe by midseason. I'm not a big fan of runningback-by-committees. I thin you can run the ball on their defensive front, but I think they have the best secondary in the league. Can they stop the Steelers, Colts or Dolphins from running in the playoffs?

The AFC is so weak that I really don't think any other teams are really worth mentioning, however, they all will have a chance.

The Titans and Vikings are 2 teams that were injury-riddled last year that are worth watching this year, as they have a lot of talent.

The Saints and Falcons both have exciting young offenses with horrendous defense, but could be interesting in a couple of years.

The Chargers need a couple of year for they're young offense to gel.

The Ravens could be good if Jamal Lewis returns healthy and they're QB Redmon learns the NFL in a hurry.

I like the 49ers and Eagles with the 49ers taking the NFC and the Superbowl.

Other than that I think your are pretty much dead on.

The Redskins I think will make the playoffs, however, mainly because they're defense is one the best in the league. Spurrier's offense will thrive against weaker defenses and they will be some blowouts. But I think good defense will manhandle his recievers and hold them in check. They will be inconsistant. they may win one playoff game by 40 points, then get shutdown in the next. Consistancy is what gets you to the superbowl

I think what will be the 'Skins undoing is if they can blitz the QB for all they're worth. Of course defenses that can do this effectively also have to have CBs that they can leave on an island.

I think once teams start game planning for the Skins their offense is really going to struggle to get going.

If preseason is any indication of reg. season then they should make the playoffs. But it isn't and they won't.

JC

PS The cowboys will finish last in the league. 1-15.

Thick dog said:
If only the Eagles could have picked up a good runningback to help out McNabb.

Between Levens and Staley the Eagles should have an above average running game. However, the addition of Freeman to a below average group of receivers is what will take the Eagles to the pinnacle of the NFL.

WODIN said:
I like the 49ers and Eagles with the 49ers taking the NFC and the Superbowl.

Other than that I think your are pretty much dead on.

That is absolutely..... the BEST reply I've ever read of yours ;)

Let's see, I think Duce Staley is more valuable as a reciever out of the backfield now than a runner, and who knows if Levens will hold up. I'd be very suprised if either of them even sniffs 1000 yards. I like the Raiders pick up of Sam Adams, who is a really good run plugger. The other guys up front seem to be one-dimensional passrushers(Armstrong, Tony Bryant). They're linebackers are gonna have to step it up this year and start making more plays. ..

Rookie Phil Buchanon @ CB Special Teams from Miami
All-American Special Teams Player of the Year.

Yes, Adams is a key pickup...

Top Bottom