Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

jj or bjj for self defence? please help

tyrant-X

Hey guys, I have decided to take on some form of grappling to add to my kickboxing and I was just wondering which would be more effective in a street situation with possibly more than one opponent, I have always been told that bjj is awsome and way more effective in modern times but i just dont like the idea of rolling around on the pavement, I'd rather just be able to throw the other guy to the ground. My friend recently got in a street fight while i was with him, and although they both agreed it was a one on one fight the other guy had about 5 of his friends with him, If i were to find myself in his situation i would not want to go to the ground knowing that they could all run up and start kicking me. So I am starting to think that maybe traditional JJ would be the way to go, but i wouldnt have a clue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A JJ teacher will make you trash your kickboxing. A BJJ instructor will teach you how to compliment it. I would go with the BJJ if I were you. Kickboxing is a very simple yet effective art and you will want to retain the skills you learned in that discipline. A JJ instructor will want you to strike a completely different way. Also, regardless of how you feel about the BJJ philosophy, you're better off with it just based on the way that they practice. They train like they fight; full speed, full contact, full intensity. You won't find that at most JJ schools.

The best self defense maneuver in the world is a sprint bro. Fighting multiple opponents is stupid regardless of whether you are a grappler or a striker. Judo and JJ throws won't work any better for you than grappling could against more than one guy. You are better off using your kickboxing in case a situation like that ever arises.

Knowing how to fight on the ground will make you better prepared for 1 on 1 confrontations. Running is your best solution against multiple opponents.

i agree, but i go to school with this guy guy and used to be friend with him so he knows where i live, and i'll look like a total pussy. His other friends probably wouldn't get involved but i can't be too sure, if i get into a 1 on 1 fight with him i'd rather be able to control him without fucking him up to much cuz the dude got friends in high places if ya know what i mean

You're in a pretty f'ed up situation bro, but you need to swallow your pride. Looking like a pussy is way better than dying or getting beat down so bad that you have to spend some time in the ER. If you think your fight with this guy is going to be 1 on 1 then BJJ will be a far better weapon than JJ. Regardless of whether you are on your feet or standing if he has his friends get involved you are going to get your ass pounded on. And besides, this guy will be a lot more clueless on the ground than he will be standing.

Kwai-Chang Caine said:
A JJ teacher will make you trash your kickboxing. A BJJ instructor will teach you how to compliment it.

Well put

tyrant, if you don't want to fight on the ground, the best way to deal with that is to learn how to. If you don't know how, and the fight hits the ground, thats when the friends can jump in and pound you. If you're experienced on the ground, you can sprawl, counter and recover right into the faces of his buddies. Find a good MMA dojo if you can.

ok thanks alot guys, i decided to try bjj and like it alot. I have a question though, the school I go to to learn bjj also teaches wrestling and the monthly amount i pay only alows me 2 lessons a week which includes wrestling classes. Is wrestling as effective as bjj? If so do you think i should have just 1 lesson a week on each or should i concentrate just on bjj and use my 2 lessons for that? if i did train in both, is one lesson a week enough to become proficient in the two? And if i only choose to train in one of the two which one is should i pick, wrestling or bjj??
thanks

Pay more and get the full load. 2 sesions per week of either isn't really that much, especially the BJJ. If I were you I would pay more and get unlimited classes a month, but if you can't and you must choose just one, I would choose BJJ.

Top Bottom