Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is swimming good for the rotator cuff?

frorider6

I've been having shoulder pain for a while now. I think it's related to the rotator cuff. I'm sure it's related to one of the bursar sacks in the shoulder.

Will swimming strengthen or wear down my shoulder?

(You can move this to the training board in a couple of days if you like)

swimming should be good for it, balances the weight of your body, full range of motion, can be really helpful, they use it in physical therapy for shoulders i know

I can only tell you from experience. Being a competitive swimmer, in the past I got rotator cuff tendonitis from swimming. However, I use my shoulder A LOT for all of the strokes. We practice close to 4 hours everyday, year round, indoors, outdoors. That is a lot of usage and wear on the shoulder.
You, most likely will not be using your shoulders as much as me, so I would say that if you swim slowly and for not that long of a time period, swimming may actually strengthen them.
I am a backstroker, and I know that this particular stroke puts a lot of pressure on the shoulders...freestyle as well.
I would suggest perhaps the butterfly stroke or breaststroke to warm up your shoulder.
You could also use a kickboard to work your legs or perhaps fins to take some of the stress off your shoulders and give your legs a kick ass workout!!

Good luck.

bunny

frorider6 said:
I'll just be in a lap pool. Probably freestyle for 20-30 minutes 1x per week.

You should be perfectly fine. Enjoy the swimming!! The best sport in the world!!

bunny

You need to be using ice, ibuprofen, and doing rotator cuff exercises. If you want...I will personally get a few mpegs together of what I do for rotators and email them to you after I train on Sunday.

B True

bro thats why before each workout you should do 4 exercises with light weight that strengthen the rotator cuff, I do........after I did the same shit, I also say after icing and all that shoot about 1000mg of deca and some sostenon in there, that will help too!

I also was an extremly competative swimmer. Swimming should be good for it, as long as you don't tire it out, or put a lot of pressure on it (sprinting hard, butterfly)

Top Bottom