Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is Faith Good For Us?

hanselthecaretaker said:
Pretty much every bottled water brand tastes like plastic to me. Is this in my mind or does plastic-bottled water really suck cock?

*searches google*

*finds wiki links*

*goes to make post on EF to gather people to listen to me*

*tries hard to teach people not to drink bottled water*

*people don't listen*

*2days later repeat same exact thread reworded differently*

*still nobody listens*

*repeats process over and over*

Featured in: Nutrition & LifeChoose your water bottles very carefully in order to prevent chemicals in the plastic from leaching into your water.
Plastic water bottles are very convenient for carting water around when we are on the go, as they don't break if we drop them. However, it is worth paying attention to the type of plastic your water bottle is made of, to ensure that the chemicals in the plastic do not leach into the water. If you taste plastic, you are drinking it, so get yourself another bottle.

To be certain that you are choosing a bottle that does not leach, check the recycling symbol on your bottle. If it is a #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene), or a #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene), or a #5 PP (polypropylene), your bottle is fine. The type of plastic bottle in which water is usually sold is usually a #1, and is only recommended for one time use. Do not refill it. Better to use a reusable water bottle, and fill it with your own filtered water from home and keep these single-use bottles out of the landfill.

Unfortunately, those fabulous colourful hard plastic lexan bottles made with polycarbonate plastics and identified by the #7 recycling symbol, may leach BPA. Bisphenol A is a xenoestrogen, a known endocrine disruptor, meaning it disturbs the hormonal messaging in our bodies. Synthetic xenoestrogens are linked to breast cancer and uterine cancer in women, decreased testosterone levels in men, and are particularly devastating to babies and young children. BPA has even been linked to insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes. For more of the science on the effects of BPA on our endocrine system etc. see these studies: Environmental Health Perspectives Journal. Nalgene, the company that manufactures the lexan water bottles also makes #2 HDPE bottles in the same sizes and shapes, so we have a viable alternative. Order one at Nalgene.

Unfortunately, most plastic baby bottles and drinking cups are made with plastics containing Bisphenol A. In 2006 Europe banned all products made for children under age 3 containing BPA, and as of Dec. 2006 the city of San Franscisco followed suit. In March 2007 a billion-dollar class action suit was commenced against Gerber, Playtex, Evenflo, Avent, and Dr. Brown's in Los Angeles superior court for harm done to babies caused by drinking out of baby bottles and sippy cups containing BPA. So, to be certain that your baby is not exposed, use glass bottles.

Check the recycling numbers on all your plastic food containers as well, and gradually move to storing all food in glass or ceramic.

Store water in glass or brass if possible, and out of direct sunlight.

Chek, Paul; How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy! Chek Institute, San Diego, CA, 2004.

Alonso-Magdelena, Paloma; "The estrogenic effect of Bisphenol A disrupts pancreatic β-cell function in vivo and induces insulin resistance" Environmental Health Perspectives Vol. 114, No. 1, Jan. 2006.

borris said:
*searches google*

*finds wiki links*

*people don't listen*

*still nobody listens*

Featured in: Nutrition & LifeChoose your water bottles very carefully in order to prevent chemicals in the plastic from leaching into your water.
Plastic water bottles are very convenient for carting water around when we are on the go, as they don't break if we drop them. However, it is worth paying attention to the type of plastic your water bottle is made of, to ensure that the chemicals in the plastic do not leach into the water. If you taste plastic, you are drinking it, so get yourself another bottle.

To be certain that you are choosing a bottle that does not leach, check the recycling symbol on your bottle. If it is a #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene), or a #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene), or a #5 PP (polypropylene), your bottle is fine. The type of plastic bottle in which water is usually sold is usually a #1, and is only recommended for one time use. Do not refill it. Better to use a reusable water bottle, and fill it with your own filtered water from home and keep these single-use bottles out of the landfill.

Unfortunately, those fabulous colourful hard plastic lexan bottles made with polycarbonate plastics and identified by the #7 recycling symbol, may leach BPA. Bisphenol A is a xenoestrogen, a known endocrine disruptor, meaning it disturbs the hormonal messaging in our bodies. Synthetic xenoestrogens are linked to breast cancer and uterine cancer in women, decreased testosterone levels in men, and are particularly devastating to babies and young children. BPA has even been linked to insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes. For more of the science on the effects of BPA on our endocrine system etc. see these studies: Environmental Health Perspectives Journal. Nalgene, the company that manufactures the lexan water bottles also makes #2 HDPE bottles in the same sizes and shapes, so we have a viable alternative. Order one at Nalgene.

Unfortunately, most plastic baby bottles and drinking cups are made with plastics containing Bisphenol A. In 2006 Europe banned all products made for children under age 3 containing BPA, and as of Dec. 2006 the city of San Franscisco followed suit. In March 2007 a billion-dollar class action suit was commenced against Gerber, Playtex, Evenflo, Avent, and Dr. Brown's in Los Angeles superior court for harm done to babies caused by drinking out of baby bottles and sippy cups containing BPA. So, to be certain that your baby is not exposed, use glass bottles.

Check the recycling numbers on all your plastic food containers as well, and gradually move to storing all food in glass or ceramic.

Chek, Paul; How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy! Chek Institute, San Diego, CA, 2004.

Alonso-Magdelena, Paloma; "The estrogenic effect of Bisphenol A disrupts pancreatic β-cell function in vivo and induces insulin resistance" Environmental Health Perspectives Vol. 114, No. 1, Jan. 2006.

*It seems I might've actually learned something here*

borris said:
*searches google*

*finds wiki links*

*people don't listen*

*still nobody listens*

dude! I'm sold. Those plastic fuckers!!!

hanselthecaretaker said:
Shows you how pointless and hypocritical organized religion can be.
Good people will do good things regardless of religion and often in spite of it.

As Richard Feynman said, "When you look at the universe and understand its laws, the theory that it is all arranged as a stage for God to watch man's struggle for good and evil seems inadequate."

nefertiti said:
Not at all. I like java. I dislike pointless repetition.
I don't agree that his threads on the same subject are pointless.

Advocating a certain point of view consistently is not pointless, it can over time sway people's opinions.

b0und (just saying)

b0und said:

Advocating a certain point of view consistently is not pointless, it can over time sway people's opinions.

b0und (just saying)

We'll have to agree to disagree.

This topic, this medium, the repetition acheives nothing. Also, big difference between being repetitive and being...hmm...consistent about a belief. When you push something too hard, too frequently, it's human nature to want to push yourself away from those ideas. The more I read his threads, the more I want to speak up for religion - which is ridiculous considering I'm sort of agnostic and haven't been to church in two years.

nefertiti said:
I figured it was the time of year, but seriously...it's not like you're having to compete with religion and faith based threads here. Your anti-faith/religion threads are bumping threads about pot, sex in cars, randy moss, a bisexual chick, fighting, and illegal downloading - plus your own other threads.

link to the bi-sexual chick thread please.

javaguru said:
Where does the United States fit in all this? Americans are very religious.

Actually, Americans are only nominally religious.

Belief in God may provide comfort to the individual believer, but, at the societal level, its results do not compare at all favorably with that of the more secular societies. When seeking a more civil, just, safe, humane, and healthy society, one is more likely to find it among those nations ranking low in religious faith-contrary to the preaching of religious folks.

One cannot base the health of the macro based on the micro. The two are only semi related. It has been shown that people who have faith in a higher power are more healthy and live longer than those who don't. This is a general truth, not a specific one. In other words, an individual atheist could live to be 100 years old and be in perfect health up until his dying day. But the aggregation of atheists vs. the aggregation of the faithful shows that the aggregate numbers are higher for the faithful.

That said, however, it would be an error to subsume that because X number of people within a society have faith and Y do not then there is a causal relationship to the aggregate health of society such that when X or Y move along an axis then the aggregate societal health, denoted by Z, moves to a degree in the direction of the sum between them.

I don't know if that's what you were asking, but there certainly is no mathematical formula that can tell us the aggregate health of a society based on how many members believe in God and how many do not.

b0und said:

b0und (just saying)
If someone truly believes their holy book is the word of God and the universe is less than 10k years old then I doubt there is anything that anyone can say or do that would convince them otherwise. At best you can put information out there and people will pay attention or they won't. I've gotten numerous positive PM's and karma messages in regard to these threads.

The religious right are always going on about how this would be a better country if everyone worshiped Jesus and the reason things are "falling apart" is the godlessness of the US.

Top Bottom