Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

improving horse stance...

b fold the truth said:
How on earth will any of that ever make you a better fighter or Martial Artist?

B True

the old school chinese believed it increased concentration, discipline, and strength all at the same time.

reddy said:

the old school chinese believed it increased concentration, discipline, and strength all at the same time.

Many old school Asian Martial Artists NEVER fought either...

B True

The horse stance is very useful for..............
developing the horse stance!
I would love for an opponent to jump in one during a fight then he'd be at my mercy! Seriously go to a class that has evolved away from these practices. The horse stance will never make you a better fighter, unless its your own style tourney where you must fight in it.

b fold the truth said:
How on earth will any of that ever make you a better fighter or Martial Artist?

B True
Same way half of the stuff you learn in a traditional dojo will...it won't

They're one of those things for kids, beginners, etc.

Some styles still utilize these as part of a "hardening"disiplinary stance. Just a way to stand while your prof beats you with sticks and crap. My Kenpo instructor use to do it to us when I was young.

I taught Martial Arts for years...and always took an unconventional approach both to practicing, teaching, and learning. Always look for new methods of ALL three of them.

We always tried to have lots of fun. If we weren't having fun then we didn't push as hard in practice, I didn't teach as efficient, and we didn't learn near as much. There are tons of ways to improve in Martial Arts and still keep it fun...tons.

B True

Discipline.

I have been Thai-boxing and wrestling for nearly 17 years now; started when I was ten.
Before that I was doing KungFu and yes I did not see the point of doing the horse stance at first, but I realised that it is not so much as doing it, it is keeping it going and fighting against my own natural arges to let go and stop.
It help developed discipline which has helped me to this day; lol it helped me stay up when I went to my first Thai-boxing camp in Thailand at age 10 (My father worked in Thailand for a few years and the rest of my family followed him.); I was getting belted up by boys of 11-15 years old who had been Thai-boxing since they were 5 years old (over there Thai-boxing is a way to make a living)
It was also pretty spartan there, there were somethings that seem odd to me at first such as the splashing of water in your eyes as you train; I learned over time that it was getting used to blood and sweat that will flow down your eyes in a fight.

It is the basic core of discipline that is necessary for anything you do in life; for example when training for the SAS you recieve alot of meaningless hard to do tasks but you do them anyway to force your body to act to your will.

Keep up the horse stance; it has no practical use in the physical sense lol if anyone was stupid enough to punch using that stance they deserved to lose, BUT it is of use for mind training as your body can only do what your mind wills it to do; at high levels of ring fighting or street-fighting most opponents are in great shape and have good fighting skills/experience what makes a champ is the one who can will himself to perform BEYOND what the body can normally do; aka when you are bashed beyond believe but still somehow hold your guard up and keep going.

Last edited:
Happyastro, good point with the spec-ops analogy.

Where in Thailand did you train? I've never had the opportunity to go there, but I've been to and helped with several camps in the states. Another good analogy you gave was the Spartan lifestyle over there. By the time those kids are in their 20's, they have more physical problems than most older americans. I met one exceptional young fighter from Nepal who amazed me at 15 years old. I would confidently put him in the ring against many American pros. Man, I couldn't even start training in MT until I was 18:(

b fold the truth said:
I taught Martial Arts for years...and always took an unconventional approach both to practicing, teaching, and learning. Always look for new methods of ALL three of them.

We always tried to have lots of fun. If we weren't having fun then we didn't push as hard in practice, I didn't teach as efficient, and we didn't learn near as much. There are tons of ways to improve in Martial Arts and still keep it fun...tons.

B True
Agreed. When I taught, or when I was helping others teach, I would always try and have a good time. I would always try and make it fun. But, I would also make it very clear that we were there to learn and train hard. So keeping the balance was tough with new people, but it tended to work well. Good students knew when it was time to be funny, and when it was time to be serious. I noticed when I taught(or trained with) experienced fighters that it was easy to have a really good time while we trained. We'd all train our asses off, but be having a crapload of fun. The guys I trained with most of the time were a bunch of clowns. It was like Junior high school with really big kids.

I never had much respect for any profs that couldn't laugh at themselves. The "hard-core, badass, never crack a smile" profs always bothered me.

Thailand

I trained at Monthaburi Bangkok; it was a real culture shock at first as I was the only non Thai there. (Around 1985)
My father paid the owner "pa" (crazy stick as he was called) to look after me when he had to head off near the border for his work.
It was also an elementary school too; you stayed there to study and to train as well.
lol had to sleep on the floor with 20 other kids, a doona, a sheet and a little fan.
Eat our meals in the middle of the room, sharing dishes.
Usual routine was:
Getting up at 4:00am run 10km, do pads three rounds, kick the bag another six rounds, grapple for half hour straight with two other guys, do 250 situps and 50 pushups- probably finished by 8:am than you had schooling (maths etc) and eat breakfast.
3:30pm start running, hit pads for 5-6 rounds, hit pads again for 10-12 rounds, grappling again, knee the bag with 100-200 knees, kick the bag non stop, 30-50 kicks a leg, finish with groundwork at 6:30pm dinner at 8pm, bed by 9:30pm- seven days a week. LOL I think I was in the best shape of my life!!

For the older guys it is a considered a job, a boxer is an employee of a camp. They play techniques for about 15 mins; no wearing pads. The kicks are pulled. There is ALOT of shin to shin so conditioning is no problem, as you are in training they do not knee you with the actual knee but with the inside of the thigh- but they put it in so your conditioning your body. You get your side of your body toughed up, eventually callused.
Situps are done more for conditioning than actual ab training, someone stands on you and push you down with their feet, to strengthen the area so you do not get knocked out by a knee in a fight.
We are not allowed toys or dirty magazines; we did not have showers, it is just wetting yourself on a big basin.
I remembered the older guys only get let out a week after a fight; lol and most of them head straight to Pattaya (which is like a fun park for young men eheheh)

Yes Thai-boxing has spread over most of the world now mainly due to movies and good promotion.
I am not surprised that there are camps in the USA; and the quality will only increase over time as more and more non Thai people pick it up.
In fact the King's birthday fights are hosting alot of non Thai fighters, it is a show down between the best Thai and non Thai talent. I went to one in 1997 and there were 120,000 people in the big park at Wat Phra Kaew (middle of bangkok) it was amazing. That year an Aussie won the title he was the third foreigner to take it. He beat Orono by points; lol Orona was a tough mother, the Aussie (John Parr) changed stance on him, he went southpaw, instead of orthodox; which kept him away from Orona's massive elbows.
Thailand has alot of good camps; you should go there sometime, just stay away from the camps in Pattaya they are for tourist.. head out from Pattaya and you will see the good camps.

As for those guys starting real young....... yeah most of them burn out from competition fighting by their mid 20,s.
It is the damn injuries that become chronic after while.......
Anyway starting at 18 years old is optimum as your body is ripe for the motor skill adaption.
LOL I still have very mild arthiritus on my hands; but I will do it all over again due to all the friends I met and the conditioning it did for my body.

Last edited:
Top Bottom