Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

improving horse stance...

reddy

other than the obvious whats good exercises to improve horse stance endurance? (the obvious being horse stance itself and then the basic squats, leg press etc.)

Back when stances and forms actually mattered to me, we used to do a drill.

Take a horse stance. Then front snap kick alternating legs. Kick, horse stance, other leg kick horse stance.

When I would teach, I used to do them for warmups. I wasn't always the most popular.

Why on earth would you need horse stance endurance?

B True

I think the last time I did one, I was 9.

I understand that some profs will make you endure this stupid thing when you are just beginning your training.

If this is the case you have two options

1. Position yourself in a horse stance wherever you go. In line at the grocery store, when taking a sobriety test, when picking up a girl at a bar, in the shower, at dinner, over the toilet to take a crap, at the movies, at work, on the bus, and so on. This ability to remain in the horse stance and endure any future tests of boredom will surely impress your instructor.

2. Find a new dojo

I honestly don't mean to make this sound like a flame my friend. My first Kenpo instructor made us stand in that stupid thing for hours. He'd stand on our knees and whack us a little, old school style. This was merely a test to see who would stick with it. After that, we began to learn things that had actual value.

my school is very very old school. 30 min horse stances with cinder blocks in hand. Yep the stand on our legs and wack us with taped up phone books too.

reddy said:
my school is very very old school. 30 min horse stances with cinder blocks in hand. Yep the stand on our legs and wack us with taped up phone books too.
Hehe, ahhhh the good ol' days.

my old sensei and father (JKA instructor) would makes us do thsoe horrible things for hours:mad: Best wat I ever found it was to just practice it day in and day out, once in the morning and once before bed, To this day I will almost bever do a horse stance because I have so many horrible memories of it

How on earth will any of that ever make you a better fighter or Martial Artist?

B True

we are made to hold lower horse stances.....ive alwqays wondered does it actually increase strength / endurance

ive always found it not very useful for kicking power, especially when comparing to squats and deads and stuff :)

Top Bottom