Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how much water for protein powder?

eat steak tastes better, real food for real bodies.
As far as your question I dont see any biological sense to the amount of water added to a protein shake making a difference in nutrient absorption. I see where you are going with this and ease of digestion, you dont want to be crapping out undigested protein rocks, but my sense is that wont happen like it does to cheap vitamins where you can xray them still intact in the intestines.
Ive never read or heard of that in regards to protein mixes, any differences would be negligible

WTF? It does matter, it has nothing to do with thickness or personal taste. It has to do with osmolarity of the solution.

here:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/windowofopportunity.htm

and here
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/dextrose.htm

what you need to know, in a nutshell (though I HIGHLY recommend you read those 2 articles):

Gastric emptying is greatly influenced by its volume. Emptying rate decreases exponentially as fluid volume is depleted. Therefore, an effective way to speed gastric emptying is by maintaining high fluid volumes in the stomach. This will also optimize nutrient passage into the intestines. About 500 mL of water immediately before training (spread through a 30 minute time span), and 200 mL every 15-20 minutes (about the rate at which fluids are drained during intense training sessions) of the workout has been recommended to maintain high water levels in your stomach. For optimal hydration, consume a 92% water solution in your post-workout shake. To calculate this, divide the carbohydrate content (in grams) by the fluid volume (in millimeters), and multiply by 100. Thus if you consumed 80 grams of carbohydrates in 1 L of water (1000 mL) you would be having 8% carbohydrates, and 92% H2O (1,3,4,10).

As with most things BodyBuilding:

there are the basic rules and there are the PRO rules, for those who want to leave nothing to chance. How much of an edge you might get by following this? well, there comes the controversy... I do use 1 lt water and drink it 2 portions.

BTW, DON'T use milk or fruit juice. Use water

pintoca said:
WTF? It does matter, it has nothing to do with thickness or personal taste. It has to do with osmolarity of the solution.

here:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/windowofopportunity.htm

and here
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/dextrose.htm

what you need to know, in a nutshell (though I HIGHLY recommend you read those 2 articles):

Gastric emptying is greatly influenced by its volume. Emptying rate decreases exponentially as fluid volume is depleted. Therefore, an effective way to speed gastric emptying is by maintaining high fluid volumes in the stomach. This will also optimize nutrient passage into the intestines. About 500 mL of water immediately before training (spread through a 30 minute time span), and 200 mL every 15-20 minutes (about the rate at which fluids are drained during intense training sessions) of the workout has been recommended to maintain high water levels in your stomach. For optimal hydration, consume a 92% water solution in your post-workout shake. To calculate this, divide the carbohydrate content (in grams) by the fluid volume (in millimeters), and multiply by 100. Thus if you consumed 80 grams of carbohydrates in 1 L of water (1000 mL) you would be having 8% carbohydrates, and 92% H2O (1,3,4,10).

As with most things BodyBuilding:

there are the basic rules and there are the PRO rules, for those who want to leave nothing to chance. How much of an edge you might get by following this? well, there comes the controversy... I do use 1 lt water and drink it 2 portions.

BTW, DON'T use milk or fruit juice. Use water

lol, that logic is flawed, the protein gets absorbed either in the stomach or in the small intestine. That right there is academic masturbation.

If its not absorbed in the stomach right away it passes into the intestine for slower absorption which is a good thing making amino acids available over a longer period.
Sorry to say, but food in gets processed before it gets defecated out, what difference and "EDGE" lol you are trying to get is truly neglible.
Btw, what kind of life is eating shakes? Eat real food, contains more nutrients, shakes are a lazy person's way, there is no edge there

And I should add, that the dextrose article you cutnpasted, you should read the articles Ive written myself about high gi/insulin damaging your cardiac arterial walls. Insulin is more deadly and dangerous than cholesterol levels

BrothaBill said:
lol, that logic is flawed, the protein gets absorbed either in the stomach or in the small intestine. That right there is academic masturbation.

If its not absorbed in the stomach right away it passes into the intestine for slower absorption which is a good thing making amino acids available over a longer period.
Sorry to say, but food in gets processed before it gets defecated out, what difference and "EDGE" lol you are trying to get is truly neglible.
Btw, what kind of life is eating shakes? Eat real food, contains more nutrients, shakes are a lazy person's way, there is no edge there

And I should add, that the dextrose article you cutnpasted, you should read the articles Ive written myself about high gi/insulin damaging your cardiac arterial walls. Insulin is more deadly and dangerous than cholesterol levels

links?

It's normally accepted that cutting is mostly, the art of managing your insulin levels bro. What we do with the type of foods/timing we eat is basically keeping insuline level constant throughout the day.

The exception to the rule, is the PWO shake, where you see people who are basically eating no/very little carbs during the day, downing 50+ grs simple carbs in one sitting. People who take this to beyond inject insuline, even though they have no diabetes.

Agreed on the fact that insulin insulin is a dangerous thing to play with though.

As for the shake, PWO is a very specific meal. I drink only 1 shake/day, PWO. Anything else takes much longer to digest (besides, I like how it tastes, so fuck it)

pintoca said:
links?

It's normally accepted that cutting is mostly, the art of managing your insulin levels bro. What we do with the type of foods/timing we eat is basically keeping insuline level constant throughout the day.

The exception to the rule, is the PWO shake, where you see people who are basically eating no/very little carbs during the day, downing 50+ grs simple carbs in one sitting. People who take this to beyond inject insuline, even though they have no diabetes.

Agreed on the fact that insulin insulin is a dangerous thing to play with though.

As for the shake, PWO is a very specific meal. I drink only 1 shake/day, PWO. Anything else takes much longer to digest (besides, I like how it tastes, so fuck it)

The insulin damage to the endothelium of coronary vessels due to having insulin from processed foods is the reason why there is coronary heart disease.
Search my posts in the diet forum Im too lazy to argue this right now. Insulin forces nutrients into cells, its the storage hormone and when its running in the bloodstream or is kicked in with high GI food stores lipids into the lining of the arteries. This leads to fat streaks and those grow over time.
Purposely taking something to elevate insulin is purposely choosing damage the lining of your arteries, over time that damage can put people at risk of a heart attack.> If its done repeatedly then hyperinsulinemia can occur. Its a disease progression model.
High GI foods are never good for you and I dont care who says they are and for what reason. If adding risk for a heart attack in the pursuit of a pound of extra muscle or even ten for vanity purposes, well that makes no sense to me.
If you are going to eat high GI foods at least enjoy them, have some pasta or bread not a shake.
Otherwise, eat low glycemic foods and limit them as best as possible. There are essential fats, essential proteins but there is no such thing as an essential carb.
Whole unprocessed foods where the cellular walls have been left intact with the great benefit of the flavonoids and other nutrients from real food.
Processed anything is bad for you including shakes as a rule of thumb.
Of course, if it works for you and a busy lifestyle to not take the time to prepare real foods then thats the choice that works, its not optimal however and rarely sustainable

you're supposed to add water or milk?

huh.

Top Bottom