Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

for all you martial artists,boxers,nhb'ers,kickboxers etc.

yep, the best way to develop a strong punch is to practice punching.

I've trained with some 'monsters' in my time some with strong punches, others not so strong...I've also trained with very short and slim Karate-ka and they could put a hole in someone.

All in the technique.

As far as all-round weight training goes - just do compound moves...Bench, Rows, Squats, Deadlift, Clean.

this is VERY important ......... weight training gives u STRENGTH ........ not POWER ..... good teq is very important to a powefull hit ........ also isometric training helps alot...... a punch should originate from the foot ....... russian studys show 1/3 is from the legs 1/3 is from the waist & torso . 1/3 is from the amrs and shouldser. so if u only hit with your arms, that 1/6 of your possible power. So in theory a guy who is 6x stronger then u in the gym can hit with the same power is he only uses his arm.... this however is not a reality.

I just started Muay Thai Kickboxing and I soon loved it :p
I've already been a bodybuilder for 2 years, even if I've never aimed at big bulk but at moderate growth/toning keeping low bodyfat levels.

I wanted to ask is that ok to train on the same day you lift?
Also, for the moment I'm having my kickboxing training at the same gym where I lift, but how do I recognise I'm receiveing a proper training? what should I be looking for in a good club?

max, u should check out your local autority for martial arts, also the AMA .... amature martial arts association, see if it is listed, if its not then dont worry ..... do u feel that you are learning from it? Do you enjoy it? .... if yes, then this sounds a good indication that the place is sound....

As for training, I have spent the last 2yrs training and doing Jeet Kune Do, has not hurt me, my instructor has spent 8yrs doing the same, what i would however say is this...... Have a rest after the weights & before the training, as your muscles are tired, u dont have the same degree of control, if u start to train like this, there is the danger your training will become sloppy, thus conditioning you to this way of fighting.
Hope that helped.
Jeet

I'll follow your advice.

What I like of the Kickboxing as compared to weights + cardios is that is a full body workout involving coordination, agility and strength. I do feel much more worn out after 1h of kickboxing than after the same of weights or cardios. Also, it's a completely different kind of feeling worn out. You feel the soreness of the muscle workout + the exaustion of the cardios + the same benefits you get from the stretching.

In my opinion a powerful punch is not really a strength component. An accurate punch, unexpected punch or a combo of punches would have a more powerful impact even if it has less pounds per square inch of force. I'm not a great puncher (I'm better with submissions) but I've been hit by a few as an Amateur and Professional.
Technique hurts more than strength.

To be a better puncher relax and don't try to muscle it. Sink and twist your torso. Especially learning how to hook with your body's torque instead of arm punching. A good partner with focus mitts and you can improve a lot.

OK, Firstly JKD is pretty close to the truth on this one, a punch from a standing position derives its power from a chain like reaction through each joint in the body, each adding a little bit more to the final resultant force. Secondly whilst most weight training does only give you strength there is a little confusion arrising on this issue. Any isolation exercise should be avoided for starters, a punch is not an isolated movement. Secondly, compound explosive exercise such as the clean and jerk are good for teaching the body to explode through a movement, however, plyometric weight training does improve the explosive capacity of the muscle and therefore results in greater POWER and therefore applicable strength to the movement. As well as good mechanics and porper synergistic excersises to complement this, remember that nothing is better for improving a punch than punching and being aware of what it feels like to hit things and also to be hit. I rigged up a pressure monitor in the garage and started wacking the damn thing with different techniques, from different positions, isolating certain bits of me, taking bits out, hitting blind fold, hitting before training and after training and I learned what a punch that takes a head clean off feels like to throw and when I am most capable of applying it.
Finally, remember that any antagonistic tension will act like a break on the agonist, so a big bicep is just a big break with a punch, so learn to relax the bicep when hitting. The mid point between proximal and distal hand positions is the point where the bicep becomes actuated to slow your punch, this happens in many areas throughout your body during the excecution of the punch (although, as anyone here will tell you, different punches will involve diiferent dynamics). So learn to relax the antagonistic muscles and be as aware as you can in practice of what might be negatively affecting your strike....oh, and don't forget torque....big subject...e-mail me if your want a dissertation.

Top Bottom