Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Do carbs after lifting and after cardio? On CKD

reddick

New member
I lift then I've been drinking 30g Protein whey and 30 carbs, and I don't count these. So do I need to do the same after cardio? I do cardio about 5 minutes after I finish lifting.
 
Carbs are most important after a workout, so yes, but a moderate amount.
But 30g carbs? Do you stay in ketosis with that much?
 
Do I count them or not?

No I have 4 grams in my whey after workout so if i had 8 ounces of gatorade after cardio which is 14 grams of carbs is that ok and do I count that?
 
with that many carbs, it may kick you out of ketosis. remember that you want your body to be running on its stored fat and not on glycogen (well, as little as possible anyhow). also remember that on a ckd, your main goal is to lose fat and retain as much muscle as possible so taking in carbs would just be counterproductive. a better idea would be some MCTs and some whey isolate postworkout.

yes, count ALL carbs (except fibre). it's imperative that you stay in ketosis during a ckd ~70% of the time.
 
I'd take 'em for sure post workout....just make sure you count the cals in your daily total. Keeping muscle is alot more important than the negligible amount of fat you won't burn.
 
I just came off of an 11wk ckd.
I didnt take any carbs post workout or pre. Just had some chicken afterwards.

You shouldn't be lifting heavy for more than about 2 or 3 days after your carb-up anyway (If using Mr.X's plan).
This worked well for me. I had no LBM loss during this.
(Ketones are muscle sparing)

That's how it went for me anyway.
 
I have been doing some research on this, and spending alot of time @ www.c-k-d.com, and they believe that 30grams of dextrose is paramount on a CKD diet if you are lifting weights, and as long as it replenishes the glycogen in the muscle that you are working out for that day, that it will not affect ketosis all that much, and allow you to get out of a catabolic state much quicker.

Tryin it next week.....Postworkout shake:

40grams of Whey isolate protein
30grams of Dextrose
10grams of creatine

M56M
 
M56M said:
I have been doing some research on this, and spending alot of time @ www.c-k-d.com, and they believe that 30grams of dextrose is paramount on a CKD diet if you are lifting weights, and as long as it replenishes the glycogen in the muscle that you are working out for that day, that it will not affect ketosis all that much, and allow you to get out of a catabolic state much quicker.

Tryin it next week.....Postworkout shake:

40grams of Whey isolate protein
30grams of Dextrose
10grams of creatine

M56M

what about after cardio?
 
Do this and keep testing for ketones, I suspect you will never be in Ketosis eating 30gr dex plus additional carbs/trace carbs from diet each day.
 
If you feel you need carbs PW or PC, then have them, and you can still run a fairly high fat diet, but it wouldn't be a CKD. It'd be more of a macro-timing diet, which I find is better for training, and depending on how good you are, can be about as good for fat-loss.
 
HANSEL said:
Do this and keep testing for ketones, I suspect you will never be in Ketosis eating 30gr dex plus additional carbs/trace carbs from diet each day.

my guess too. My biggest gripe with post-workout carbs is how are you going to get yourself back in ketosis? The TKD plan atleast allows u to eat carbs prior to the workout so once your done they're burned up from the workout.

Keep in mind also that some guys have alot of weight to loose so a CKD with a carb shake after will still result in weight loss, just like when u cut a fat kid's soda supply off, he'll eventually loose weight from just doing that.

i dunno,,keep testing your strips at different times of the day and if your showing trace, more power to you
 
Kid Dynamite said:
If you feel you need carbs PW or PC, then have them, and you can still run a fairly high fat diet, but it wouldn't be a CKD. It'd be more of a macro-timing diet, which I find is better for training, and depending on how good you are, can be about as good for fat-loss.

exactly. Lyle mcdonald himself said "ketosis doesn't guarentee anything except your pee will smell funny"...don't live and die by the sticks...go by what results in fat loss w/ least amount of muscle loss...if this means post workout/cardio carbs (for me it does) then go for it.
 
macDbol said:


Keep in mind also that some guys have alot of weight to loose so a CKD with a carb shake after will still result in weight loss, just like when u cut a fat kid's soda supply off, he'll eventually loose weight from just doing that.

Exactley, it will be effective to a point but you never actually are in Ketosis by my estimation so your not really doing a cyclical ketogenic diet.
 
Well i think i might hold off, becuase i was feeling very flat, and weak, but after my carb up i felt like million bucks, and my muscles blew up like f*cking balloons. I am going to wait for anther 2 weeks or so, then bring carbs in post workout as i get leaner, but i have to say i went for 2 weeks straight Keto and the results are pretty amazing...my abs are shining through very strong. i am impressed...

M56M
 
a thought...

what about drinking a smaller carb/protein shake while training? that would probably lessen the insulin spike, and you'd be burning the carbs as you take them in...possibly a good choice.
 
Judah Bauer said:
a thought...

what about drinking a smaller carb/protein shake while training? that would probably lessen the insulin spike, and you'd be burning the carbs as you take them in...possibly a good choice.

yeah but i would think that the fat burning that shoud take place during the workout would be effected.

any body have any opinions on this?

M56M
 
M56M said:


yeah but i would think that the fat burning that shoud take place during the workout would be effected.

any body have any opinions on this?

M56M

virutally no fat burning takes place during training...you'd be correct for cardio, though.
 
Judah Bauer said:


virutally no fat burning takes place during training...you'd be correct for cardio, though.

What leads you to believe that there is no fat burning in weigh training??? I thought you burn more calories during weight training that you could ever doing cardio.

M56M
 
M56M said:


What leads you to believe that there is no fat burning in weigh training??? I thought you burn more calories during weight training that you could ever doing cardio.

M56M

Probably referring to energy source in the body. Say you burn off 400kcals in a session, and 350 woth of those are from glucose. You burned off 400kcals, and only 50 were from fat. After the workout you keep burning at an elevated rate. Don't worry about what energy source supplies, just burn the cals (and if you're keto, you burn off glycogen during the 2 days of weights after the carb up, so you're burnin' chub during the next 4 days)
 
M56M said:


What leads you to believe that there is no fat burning in weigh training??? I thought you burn more calories during weight training that you could ever doing cardio.

M56M

during high intensity anaerobic stuff like training you burn primarily glucose....and in the hours recovering you tend to burn more fat.
 
I AM ON CKD!!!! am i hurting myself more than helping????

So if i didn't do a 3 day split after my carb up and i did more of a 5 day split in my training routine i would end up losing more muscle and probably even hindering my fat loss??

I usually do:

Chest - Cardio - Abs
Legs
Back/Biceps - Cardio - Abs
Shoulders/Triceps - Cardio - Abs
DEPLETION workout - Cardio - Abs

**Cardio is sometimes done in the AM, and then workouts in the PM**

Then i carb up from mid-Day Friday to Sat night.

Then start again on Sunday.

So by my 3rd and 4th day of weight training am i doing more harm than good????

M56M
 
Top Bottom