Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Boxing/Bag + Weights?

xonic2xonic

I would like to start putting in some bag training 2 - 3 times a week.

I currently do chest/tris/ant+lat delts on one day and back/bi's/post+delts on another.

I'm not looking for anymore mass.

My question is, how will this training mess with my muscle recovery. Like if I do some boxing a day before chest then I am going to be weaker right? Also day after I'm going to be clobbering my chest 2 days in a row.

Thanks for any advice!

Punching uses very little pectoral if done right and the effort of throwing a punch is minimal. Its effects are largely cardiovascular which bag work is great for. Just take care not to hurt your wrists. I have seen many new to the heavy bag hurt themselves by punching improperly or harder than their wrists could handle.

Thanks guys!

I figured pecs, especially Serratus (aka boxer's muscle) would be especially hit.

When you say minimal pec.... how do explain that? Is it more like throwing your whole body into the motion? Do you have any technique tips or links to share?

Thanks again!

I have a bag and also one at my gym. I hit it occasionally to keep my punching skills and speed sharp just in case. You have to be careful. You can hurt your hands or wrists if you're a hard mother fucking puncher like me. Just stick to jabs and straight punches, the hooks are really dangerous. Hitting the bag will wear your ass out quick.

The key to throwing a fast and powerfull punch is using your body properly and relaxation. I would say the tricep and front delt do the majority of propelling the arm and how you add your body to the mix will determine just how much you get behind it on impact. Simply put you cant punch fast if your all tensed up. As for technique it depends on the punch, my experience comes from many years of martial art training. The most important aspect in not injuring your wrist or hand is to make sure your hit with your two biggest knucles and not your smallest knuckles. That will make sure the larger bones are aligned and are capable of taking more impact. At first stick with jabs and straight punches to build some skill and strength and as you improve and get more used to hit the bag properly you can start punching from various angles etc. Its somewhat dificult to explaine in type, sorry.

I slam the heavy bag 2-4 days a week. It doesn't interfer with weightlifting recovery at all. I can go hit chest... then the next day pound the heavy bag... or I can pound the heavy bag in the morning and go work chest that afternoon.

Come by the training board. A lot of this is discussed there.

It makes for a hell of a warmup too. I had to cut back on that, because as I got bttter, I was hitting so hard and fast I was draining some of my energy and agression that was better saved for the weights.

If I'm going to box the same day- I hit the weights first- with some off time in between- tomo

Top Bottom