Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

2Thick: In reference to your "In defence of Jesus Christ the man" post

"of course there's evidence, but it's all provided by Christians, therefore it's biased."

Exactly. This is why it's pointless to argue about this anymore. I believe Jesus is the Son of God. But anything we say just looks like "foolishness" to other people.

I also am not the type of person to ram my beliefs into someone else's mind. Ultimately it's everyone's own decision what to believe.

F117A Active Stealth said:

Exactly. This is why it's pointless to argue about this anymore. I believe Jesus is the Son of God. But anything we say just looks like "foolishness" to other people.

I also am not the type of person to ram my beliefs into someone else's mind. Ultimately it's everyone's own decision what to believe.

I agree 100%...on all accounts.

I'm not trying to "ram my beliefs into someone else's mind"; I simply can't remain silent when there is so much misinformation being purported.

People can't make informed decisions on a subject they know little/nothing about.

Re: Re: Re: 2Thick: In reference to your "In defence of Jesus Christ the man" post

IvanOffelitch said:

Jesus didn't pander to Jewish traditions. He made both His identity and purpose quite clear (when the time was appropriate); however, the Jews rejected Him as Messiah for several reasons, namely they couldn't accept the idea of a "suffering Messiah" nor the concept of God Himself on earth.

Are you now going to say that Jesus did not act as a Jew? Your statement wouldn't reconcile with the frequent references to him as "rabbi" in the bible.

In fact, Jesus was not a "trained" rabbi. He was a "lay rabbi", common among the Jews at the time of teh roamn occupation. Jews had become factionalized - a series fo sects.

Jesus's main message was "jew first, roman vassal second". That is the point behind "render unto caesar....render unto god"

As far as Jews rejecting him - that's a lie . The early followers were Jews. The Apostles were jews. Paul was a Jew. All of the original followers were Jews. And no Jew would believe that a man is holy - they just don't have that belief. The Jewish concept of God is like the Muslim Allah - indivisible. No Jew would have even considered the "man god" idea, yet Jews followed Jesus. Explain.

So if all the followers were Jews, what was Jesus preaching? The reljection of Christianty by Judaism came when Christinatry became so bastardized as to become a different religion entirely, rather than a strain of Judaism. For example:

Christmas replaced the Roman "Saturnalia", a pagan festival.

Virgin birth was added to Christianity out of Mithraism, a pagan relgion popular in the Roman Army. Again, no Jew would have ever believed in that, and Jesus's first followers were Jews.

Also, Mithra had 12 disciples. The idea that exactly 12 people were "special disciples" of Jesus is misleading.

Once these pagan components were added, Jews balked. this has become "rejection".

These modifications were made by Constantine and others, formalized at Nicaea in 325. Christinaitry was Constantine's political weapon to reunify the empire. SOhe had to makeit appeal to lots of people.

The irony of the matter is, God made these facts quite clear throughout the O.T. Just look at Zechariah 12:10 where GOD says: "And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and suppliation. They will look on me (God), the one they have piered (Jesus), and will mourn for him as mourns for an only child..."

Well, you are using Scripture to defend Scripture. Whether or not "God" made facts clear is a matter of faith. The conditions of the Jews at the time of jesus aer well - documented.

This is only one example; as I stated earlier, I could sit here for hours on end typing out other references, but there's no point in that. I feel I probably wasted my time typing up the initial post, as most people don't want to know the truth.

I thank you for your efforts. It is good to give some intelligent though to this topic. Thank you for that.

When I began my quest for the truth, I too had preconceived notions...my mind was made up before I ever cracked open the first book that Christianity was a farce, and the Bible was nothing more than a collection of fairy tales. It didn't take long before I started to realize I (too) was wrong. When faced with the undeniable evidences, I had no other choice than to accept the claims of Scripture and of Jesus Christ.

It should be aparent to you that my beliefs are not stock and trade "preconceived" but are the results of extensive study.

I've spent nearly 1/3 of my life researching the matter, and to this day, the more I dig, the more the evidence becomes undeniable...the Bible is legitimate, and Jesus Christ was (and is) God incarnate.

I envy your spiritual peace. :)

As far as the historical accuracy and reliability of the Scriptures, all I can say is "do the research yourself." Don't blindly believe what you may have been taught, read in magazines, etc. The amount of reliable evidence to support the claims of Scripture is absolutely staggering. Much of it is secular based, negating the obvious knee-jerk reaction: "of course there's evidence, but it's all provided by Christians, therefore it's biased."

I'll issue you (and anyone else who sincerely wants to know the truth) the same challenge my friend issued me: "If you don't believe it, prove it wrong." Do the research yourself. I provided three excellent resources in the first post...it's up to you to read them.

The logical fallacies of using Scripture to debate Scripture are self evident. My research has told me that Scripture, while 1900 years old, has remained largely unchanged for the last 1500 years, through massive translation. That doesn't speak to its truth, however, just consistency.

Have you extended your research to Mithraism? its roots are persian if you are interested.

Do you know a lot about Jewish history? Or about the Jewish religion?

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2Thick: In reference to your "In defence of Jesus Christ the man" post

Are you now going to say that Jesus did not act as a Jew? Your statement wouldn't reconcile with the frequent references to him as "rabbi" in the bible.

Yes, Jesus "acted" as a Jew in some respects, and the term "Rabbi" refers to him as "teacher"; the religious leaders certainly didn't refer to Him as "Rabbi" in the traditional sense, since they (Jesus and the teachers of the law and the pharisees) certainly did not see eye-to-eye. His followers did refer to Him as Rabbi (as a teacher).

In fact, Jesus was not a "trained" rabbi. He was a "lay rabbi", common among the Jews at the time of teh roamn occupation. Jews had become factionalized - a series fo sects.

Jesus's main message was "jew first, roman vassal second". That is the point behind "render unto caesar....render unto god"

Jesus' "main message" was to proclaim the Kingdom of God, and to fulfill His call as Messiah. Yes, during the early part of His ministry, He did reach out to the Jews, but in light of their rejection, He told His followers to "go and make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 28:16-20, known as "The Great Commision") This is clearly prophesied in the OT and documented in the NT.

As far as Jews rejecting him - that's a lie . The early followers were Jews. The Apostles were jews. Paul was a Jew. All of the original followers were Jews. And no Jew would believe that a man is holy - they just don't have that belief. The Jewish concept of God is like the Muslim Allah - indivisible. No Jew would have even considered the "man god" idea, yet Jews followed Jesus. Explain.

I should have been more clear when I said that, I apologize for any confusion; when I referred to the Jews rejecting Him, I was referring to the religious leaders...the scribes, pharisees, etc., not so much the general population. I find it interesting that the general population was so much more willing to accept Him (figuratively speaking) in comparison to the religious community of the time...but the religious leaders were the ones with everything at stake; Jesus exposed them for the hypocrites they were (see all of Matthew ch. 23). It was this tension (and His claim to be God incarnate, something else the Jews failed to see in OT prophesy) that inevitably led to His crucifixion.

So if all the followers were Jews, what was Jesus preaching? The reljection of Christianty by Judaism came when Christinatry became so bastardized as to become a different religion entirely, rather than a strain of Judaism. For example:

Christmas replaced the Roman "Saturnalia", a pagan festival.

Virgin birth was added to Christianity out of Mithraism, a pagan relgion popular in the Roman Army. Again, no Jew would have ever believed in that, and Jesus's first followers were Jews.

Also, Mithra had 12 disciples. The idea that exactly 12 people were "special disciples" of Jesus is misleading.

Once these pagan components were added, Jews balked. this has become "rejection".

These modifications were made by Constantine and others, formalized at Nicaea in 325. Christinaitry was Constantine's political weapon to reunify the empire. SOhe had to makeit appeal to lots of people.

I'm well aware of Emporer Constantine's antics regarding Christians. Fact of the matter is, he (Constantine) was putting countless Christians to death, yet he soon realized it wasn't stopping the Christian church from progressing, albeit predominantly underground. His is a classic case of "Well, if we can't beat `em, might as well join `em." Of course, given the vast Roman population, he couldn't just throw out Roman religions & traditions overnight; he had to "accomidate" them, lest they revolt against him. Hence, the "Christian" church that emerged under his reign was little more than a thinly-veiled, watered-down version mix of of Christianity and Roman paganism. The "true" Christian church refused to accept these compromises and (for the most part) remained underground.

Well, you are using Scripture to defend Scripture. Whether or not "God" made facts clear is a matter of faith. The conditions of the Jews at the time of jesus aer well - documented.

I thank you for your efforts. It is good to give some intelligent though to this topic. Thank you for that.

Thank you for acknowledging my efforts, it is truly appreciated.

It should be aparent to you that my beliefs are not stock and trade "preconceived" but are the results of extensive study.

No arguements there. If I may ask, in your studies, what references have you relied on regarding the early Christian church?

I envy your spiritual peace. :)

The logical fallacies of using Scripture to debate Scripture are self evident. My research has told me that Scripture, while 1900 years old, has remained largely unchanged for the last 1500 years, through massive translation. That doesn't speak to its truth, however, just consistency.

Agreed, that's why I mentioned that there is a staggering abundance of extra-Biblical evidence available. The resources I mentioned in the 1st post are loaded with them; although the author is a Christian, he uses many non-Biblical sources for information, including (but not limited to) secular historians, secular archaeologists, philosophers, etc. As a side-note, the Dead Sea Scrolls contain various passages of Scripture, and they are 1 of the oldest Biblically related documents known. Here's the interesting part; their translations are essentially word-for-word to later translations, lending great credibility to the claims that Scripture has been accurately handed down over the years.

Have you extended your research to Mithraism? its roots are persian if you are interested.

No, I'm not familiar with it, but I will look into it. Can you recommend any good (read: "un-biased") literature on them?

Do you know a lot about Jewish history? Or about the Jewish religion?

Most of my studies of Judiasm and Jewish history were in college while I studied for the ministry. I have done some research on Judiasm and various sects (Cabala, etc), but I'm not exactly an "expert" on the subject.

Yes, Jesus "acted" as a Jew in some respects, and the term "Rabbi" refers to him as "teacher"; the religious leaders certainly didn't refer to Him as "Rabbi" in the traditional sense, since they (Jesus and the teachers of the law and the Pharisees) certainly did not see eye-to-eye. His followers did refer to Him as Rabbi (as a teacher).

This is a great post. It should be used as the definitive post for religious debates.

I am only going to focus on historical truths. I am not trying to disprove anything, merely to provide a historical backdrop.

We can all agree that Jesus was definitely a Jew. At the time of Jesus’s life, Jews were factionalized into different sects: Pharisees, Sadducees, Essenes, etc. Rome allowed the Jews some measure of limited self-rule for a few reasons:

Jews were very difficult to conquer.
Jews had been in the area for a long time, and were familiar with trade routes and regional populations.

This factionalizing of Jews was beneficial to Rome as well. By dividing the Jews, it was easier for Rome to keep them conquered. This same principle is how a few thousand British were able to subjugate tens of millions of people in conquered India. Some would say that the two party system is how American leaders pacify a population of almost 300million.

Nevertheless, Rome understood "divide and conquer" and used it on the Jews.

Jesus' "main message" was to proclaim the Kingdom of God, and to fulfill His call as Messiah. Yes, during the early part of His ministry, He did reach out to the Jews, but in light of their rejection, He told His followers to "go and make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 28:16-20, known as "The Great Commision") This is clearly prophesied in the OT and documented in the NT.

In order to add more perspective I will talk about the Jewish perception of the Messiah. This is a little bit rough but captures the main points. Jews do not believe in life after death as Christians or Muslims do. Jews believe that the Messiah will come at the end of the world, and all the righteous will be resurrected and live in the kingdom of God. Jews – uniquely among monotheistic religions – do not believe that only their kind can be saved. Christians do not allow for non-Christian salvation. (You have to accept Jesus). Likewise, Muslims do not allow for non-Muslim salvation.

Jews believe that God created Light, then earth. When imperfect man appeared, the light was shattered, and that by following God’s laws, the light will slowly be put back together. Jews believe that man is created in God’s image, and that man has to choice to glorify or profane that image. When man adheres to God’s laws, the light is slowly put back together. The Jews believe that following God’s laws makes the world better, and that slowly but surely, the world can get better and better to the point of perfection. This “perfection” means that the Light has been put back together, and God can come to a perfect Earth, the only kind he would countenance. But it is up to man to make the world this way – God will not do it for us. The Christian belief is that Jesus opened the gates of Paradise to us. Jews believe that we have to make the world perfect before God will be with us.

Jews also so not seek converts. Whether Jesus said “go and make disciples of all nations” or not is a matter of belief. But we do know the following:

Jesus was a Jew.
The apostles and disciples were Jews.

A practicing Jew would never have said such a thing. Even if a Jew did, it would never have been listened to by other Jews in any significant number. It doesn’t jive with what is known of Judaism, or of he amount of Jewish followersd Jesus had.

It is, however, easy to see how such a statement would have considerable political influence when coupled with Roman state sponsorship, (you have to join, Jesus himself told you to) or perhaps, in the hands of a power-hungry Paul, seeking converts among Greeks.

I don't want to digress too much, but an anthropological study could point to the emergence of monotheism with a human component (Chrsitianty, Islam) as the underpinnings of empires.

I should have been more clear when I said that, I apologize for any confusion; when I referred to the Jews rejecting Him, I was referring to the religious leaders...the scribes, pharisees, etc., not so much the general population. I find it interesting that the general population was so much more willing to accept Him (figuratively speaking) in comparison to the religious community of the time...but the religious leaders were the ones with everything at stake; Jesus exposed them for the hypocrites they were (see all of Matthew ch. 23). It was this tension (and His claim to be God incarnate, something else the Jews failed to see in OT prophesy) that inevitably led to His crucifixion.

We agree that the Jewish power structure (such as it was) was resistant to Jesus, yet the people were receptive. Jesus was unquestionably a charismatic leader of the people. He certainly had followers. This is exactly the kind of person that is despised by powerful figures. There is a lot of speculation as to who really killed MLK Jr. Was it CIA...because he was a leader who was upsetting influential people as well. The idea of a charismatic leader as a threat to power is not new.

Certainly, the Pharisees’ and others in power rejecting Jesus is easily explained. He was a threat to them.

You are right that Jesus exposed them for the hypocrites that they were. But what made them hypocrites? Perhaps it was that they were paying lip-service to Jewish custom, while being “Rome’s bitches”. Today the same could be said of most Congressmen; pandering to any interest they can while serving the interests of their big donors. It is the nature of power and was the same 2000 years ago. Rome was the sponsor of limited Jewish authority over their own people. The message that would have most upset them was that they needed to be faithful to Jewish laws, not Roman ones. This is outright public derision of them.

I also have to take issue with Jesus’ claims to be God incarnate. Let’s consider this outside of Scripture for a minute. No Jew would have attracted even a single Jewish follower with this claim. Jews simply do not believe that a man can be holy, or that God can have a human component. Since we agree that Jesus had numerous Jewish followers, it is questionable that Jesus would have ever claimed it.

The Bible has many passages that bolster Jesus’ claims of divinity. However, some of those are simply statements taken out of context. Every Jew refers to themselves as son of man, and son of God. This is to remind Jews that they are of human origin but created in God’s image. Jesus using those words about himself is not a claim of divinity, despite a change in interpretation over time.

Other Scripture passages about Jesus’ claim to divine origins are matters of faith. But it is crucial to remember that none of the Gospels were written until 60 years after Jesus. Consider also that Paul was seeking converts among the Greeks prior to this, and his version of what the teachings of Jesus really were would be subject to his audience. Also, as there was no means to electronically capture words, the likelihood of teachings changing through oral discussion pre-Gospel is tremendous.

As Jews have a litany of commentaries on religious thought (the Talmud etc.) the idea of discussion and commentary on Jesus' teaching after his death is perfectly natural. In fact, such a thing existed; scholaras call it the "kerygma". These commentaries likely formed the basis for the Gospels, rather than the actual words of Jesus.

The Dead Sea Scrolls testify to the fact that Scripture has been largely unchanged over almost two millennia. They do not weigh in on what happened from Jesus’ death to the writing of the Gospels.

I'm well aware of Emporer Constantine's antics regarding Christians. Fact of the matter is, he (Constantine) was putting countless Christians to death, yet he soon realized it wasn't stopping the Christian church from progressing, albeit predominantly underground. His is a classic case of "Well, if we can't beat `em, might as well join `em." Of course, given the vast Roman population, he couldn't just throw out Roman religions & traditions overnight; he had to "accomidate" them, lest they revolt against him. Hence, the "Christian" church that emerged under his reign was little more than a thinly-veiled, watered-down version mix of of Christianity and Roman paganism. The "true" Christian church refused to accept these compromises and (for the most part) remained underground.

I agree with the “can’t beat them, join them” categorization. However, it is also widely known that Constantine made up whole parts of the religion wholesale.

“Christmas” is a complete lie.

Much of what is considered central to Christianity today is derived from Constantine’s actions. We previously discussed the idea of Virgin Birth – this was taken wholesale from pagan Mithraism. No Jew would have listened to Jesus for even a second if he claimed to be born of a Virgin.

Constantine’s mother walked Jerusalem and literally invented - out of thin air - “holy” sites. “Jesus carried the cross here”…”Jesus fell here” etc. were all simply creations of Constantine.

We agree that Constantine’s bastardization of early Christianity was a strictly political maneuver. This also explains why he would “humanize” the religion. Jews do not have things like “relics” or “saints”. Jews consider Moses the most important figure in their religion, but they don’t pray to him. It is actually forbidden in Judaism to revere a man that way. Jewish history conveys Moses’ humanity clearly; he led the Jews to the Promised Land, he gave them their laws, but he did not get to partake in the Promised Land.

However, relics and holy sites would be useful in enlisting pagan coverts.

Once these changes started to take place, the Jews became a liability. Jews wanted to nothing to do with Constantine’s version of Christianity. It’s paganism: statues and icons and such. This is the origin of the “rejection” of Jesus by Jews. This time in Roman history is actually called the time of the “Jewish problem”: what to do with a population (Jews) that knows about the real origins of Christianity but does not believe the new version? This is a real issue for rulers.

The Council of Nicaea was in 325. This was the codification of Christianity at the behest of Constantine. Soon after that was the era of the Jewish problem.... Rome started killing Jews at a furious rate of speed: kill them all and no one will remember them. Rome was so zealous in killing Jews that historians often say “if Rome had tanks and machine guns, they’d have gotten them all.”

The Jewish problem raged on through the mid to late 300s, but eventually, the killing of Jews stopped. It stopped not out of mercy, but because of a new philosophical approach: Jews must be allowed to survive, but never thrive; a permanent reminder of what happens to those who reject Rome.. (Reject Rome, not Jesus- Jesus became the human face of a political movement.)

In fact, it was Augustin of Hippo (St Augustin, son of St Monica) who uttered the exact phrase “Jews must be allowed to survive but never thrive.”

Historians believe (and your faith tells you otherwise, which is for you to decide) that the idea of Jesus as God did not arise until approximately 400 AD as part of a long term solution to the “Jewish problem”. Jesus is God, and the jews rejected him!

Note that the Jewish problem plagued Christianity for 1500 more years under the guise of rejecting God. This gave Christians "moral authority" to denigrate and mistreat, even kill off, the Jews. Jesus tried to save them,but they wouldn't listen. If they rejected Jesus, kill them! Remember, infidel is a Christian word. Yet the heart of the "Jewish problem" was the politics of Constantine! What a legacy: 1600 years.

Popes put the Jews in ghettos, forced conversion, etc., all the way up until the late 1800s. Martin Luther had some interesting comments on how to handle Jews as well. In fact, these practices only stopped in the late 1800’s when the Italians took all of the Pope’s land away for good, relegating him to 90 acres on Vatican Hill.

The last attempt at solving the “Jewish problem” was of course the rise of the Nazis. Hitler was a devout Catholic who used the historical messages of Catholicism along with Martin Luther’s vitriolic Jew-hatred to galvanize a population to kill Jews. When the Nazis spoke of a “Final Solution”, it was a “solution” to the Jewish problem. If this sounds far fetched, consider that the German city of Trier was a Roman outpost all the way back to the time of Constantine. He had a palace there. It was called Augustus Treverorum, but it was Trier. The roots of the “Jewish problem” in Germany were 1600 years old when Hitler came to power.

I am making all these points to show the extremely political nature of Christianity.

No arguements there. If I may ask, in your studies, what references have you relied on regarding the early Christian church?

I highly recommend

Constantine’s Sword, by James Carroll

Revelation in Judea by…I don’t remember.

Agreed, that's why I mentioned that there is a staggering abundance of extra-Biblical evidence available. The resources I mentioned in the 1st post are loaded with them; although the author is a Christian, he uses many non-Biblical sources for information, including (but not limited to) secular historians, secular archaeologists, philosophers, etc. As a side-note, the Dead Sea Scrolls contain various passages of Scripture, and they are 1 of the oldest Biblically related documents known. Here's the interesting part; their translations are essentially word-for-word to later translations, lending great credibility to the claims that Scripture has been accurately handed down over the years.

The Dead Sea Scrolls do speak to an amazing consistency of Scripture despite translation. The truth of them, though, remains a matter of faith.

I don’t have any great sources on Mithraism, but if you poke around the web you will find lots of info.

Good posts

...IvanOffElitch

LOL its always so entertaining to watch people create dogma to back up their arguements.

BTW Matt great post... your knowledge never ceases to amaze me. I cant even imagine how you find enugh time to read as much as you do.

IvanOffelitch said:

Was He a liar?

If, when Jesus made his claims, he knew that He was not God, then He was lying and deliberately deceiving His followers. But if He was a liar, then He was also a hypocrite because He told others to be honest, whatever the cost, while He Himself taught and lived a colossal lie. More than that, He was a demon, because He told others to trust Him for their eternal destiny. If He couldn't back up His claims and knew it, then He was unspeakably evil. Last, He would also be a fool because it was His claims to being God that led to His crucifixion.

Many will say that Jesus was a good moral teacher. Let's be realistic. How could He be a great moral teacher and knowingly mislead people at the most important point of His teaching--His own identity?

You would have to conclude logically that He was a deliberate liar. This view of Jesus, however doesn't coincide with what we know either of Him or the results of His life and teachings. Wherever Jesus had been proclaimed, lives have been changed for the good, nations have changed for the better, thieves have been made honest, alcoholics are cured, hateful individuals become channels of love, unjust persons become just.

If Jesus wanted to get people to follow Him and believe in Him as God, why did He go to the Jewish nation? Why go as a Nazarene carpenter to a country so small in size and population and so thoroughly adhering the undivided unity of God? Why didn't He go to Egypt, or, even more, to Greece, where they believed in various gods and various manifestations of them?

Someone who lived as Jesus lived, taught as Jesus taught, and died as Jesus died could not have been a lair. What other alternatives are there?

I think you leave out 1 very important possibility. Jesus believed what he was saying would help the world, it was not a message from god, but he needed people to think it was in order to spread that message to the masses.

I think it is more likely that jesus wanted to change the world for the better, even if it meant misleading (intentionally or unintentionally) people into thinking he was the messiah. Think of it this way, if you thought you could save millions of lives by misleading them into believing something that wasn't true, would you? I think most of us would say yes.

Again, all these concepts originated from jewish law. Yet what followed from the existence of the "messiah" did not comply with the defition of the messiah as defined by jews prior to the existence of jesus. If christianity did not originate from judaism i would have an easier time grasping the concept of jesus as a messiah.

Re: ...IvanOffElitch

Milo Hobgoblin said:
LOL its always so entertaining to watch people create dogma to back up their arguements.

BTW Matt great post... your knowledge never ceases to amaze me. I cant even imagine how you find enugh time to read as much as you do.

Create dogma??:confused: :rolleyes:

Milo;

I'll say this again (and for the last time)...everything I've posted is easily verified if one chooses to do the research themselves. If you want to know the truth, research it yourself, I'm not going to sit here and spoon-feed you.

Matt;

I'm grateful to have this exchange with you, and even moreso, that we've managed to keep it civilized. :) I don't have time right now to respond in full to your post, but I will later.

I will say this; remember that the "Christian" church that emerged under Constantine was the predecessor to the catholic church, and there are vast differences in theology between catholic and protestant churches. The historical tensions between this early catholic church and the Jews is undeniable and well-documented...there's no arguement there. The protestant church (for the most part, save for some mis-guided individuals) does not take part in this squabble. Anyone who calls themselves a "Christian" out of 1 side of their mouth and says they hate Jews out the other side of their mouth is a fool, if I may be so blunt.

Gotta run, more later.

MattTheSkywalker said:
This is a great post. It should be used as the definitive post for religious debates.

I am only going to focus on historical truths. I am not trying to disprove anything, merely to provide a historical backdrop.

We can all agree that Jesus was definitely a Jew. At the time of Jesus’s life, Jews were factionalized into different sects: Pharisees, Sadducees, Essenes, etc. Rome allowed the Jews some measure of limited self-rule for a few reasons:

Jews were very difficult to conquer.
Jews had been in the area for a long time, and were familiar with trade routes and regional populations.

This factionalizing of Jews was beneficial to Rome as well. By dividing the Jews, it was easier for Rome to keep them conquered. This same principle is how a few thousand British were able to subjugate tens of millions of people in conquered India. Some would say that the two party system is how American leaders pacify a population of almost 300million.

Nevertheless, Rome understood "divide and conquer" and used it on the Jews.

To help shed a little light on the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Essenes;

(ref: NIV)

The Sadducees: In Palestine, the Greek world made its greatest impact through the party of the Sadducees. Made up of aristocrats, it became the temple party. Because of their position, the Sadducees had a vested interest in the status quo. Relatively few in number, they wielded disproportionate political power and controlled the high priesthood. They rejected all religious writings except the Torah, as well as any doctrine (such as the resurrection) not found in those five books.

The Pharisees: As the party of the synagogue, the Pharisees strove to reinterpret the law. They built a "hedge" around it to enable Jews to live righteously before God in a world that had changed drastically since the days of Moses. Although they were comparitively few in number, the Pharisees enjoyed the support of the people and influenced popular opinion, if not national policy. They were the only party to survive the destruction of the temple in A.D. 70 and were the spiritual progenitors of modern Judiasm.

The Essenes: An almost forgotten Jewish sect until the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Essenes were a small, seperatist group that grew out of the conflicts of the Maccabean age. Like the Pharisees, they stressed strict legal observance, but they considered the temple priesthood corruptand rejected much of the temple ritual and sacrificial system. Mentioned by several aincent writers, the precise nature of the Essenes is still not certain, though it is generally agreed that the Qumran community that produced the Dead Sea Scrolls was an Essene group. Because they were convinced that they were the true remnant, these Qumran Essenes had seperated themselves from Judism at large and devoted themselves to personal purity and preperation for the final war between the "Sons of Light and the Sons of Darkness." They practiced an apocalyptic faith, looking back to the contributions of their "Teacher of Righteousness" and forward to the coming of two, and possibly three, Messiahs. The destruction of the temple in A.D. 70, however, seems to have delivered a death blow to their apocalyptic expectations.

Attempts have been made to equate aspects of the beliefs of the Qumran community with the origins of Christianity. Some have seen a prototype of Jesus in their "Teacher of Righteousness," and both John the Baptist and Jesus have been assigned membership in the sect. There is, however, only a superficial, speculative base for these conjectures.

In order to add more perspective I will talk about the Jewish perception of the Messiah. This is a little bit rough but captures the main points. Jews do not believe in life after death as Christians or Muslims do. Jews believe that the Messiah will come at the end of the world, and all the righteous will be resurrected and live in the kingdom of God. Jews - uniquely among monotheistic religions - do not believe that only their kind can be saved. Christians do not allow for non-Christian salvation. (You have to accept Jesus). Likewise, Muslims do not allow for non-Muslim salvation.

Jews believe that God created Light, then earth. When imperfect man appeared, the light was shattered, and that by following God’s laws, the light will slowly be put back together. Jews believe that man is created in God’s image, and that man has to choice to glorify or profane that image. When man adheres to God’s laws, the light is slowly put back together. The Jews believe that following God’s laws makes the world better, and that slowly but surely, the world can get better and better to the point of perfection. This “perfection” means that the Light has been put back together, and God can come to a perfect Earth, the only kind he would countenance. But it is up to man to make the world this way - God will not do it for us. The Christian belief is that Jesus opened the gates of Paradise to us. Jews believe that we have to make the world perfect before God will be with us.

Jews also so not seek converts. Whether Jesus said “go and make disciples of all nations” or not is a matter of belief. But we do know the following:

Jesus was a Jew.
The apostles and disciples were Jews.

A practicing Jew would never have said such a thing. Even if a Jew did, it would never have been listened to by other Jews in any significant number. It doesn’t jive with what is known of Judaism, or of he amount of Jewish followersd Jesus had.

It is, however, easy to see how such a statement would have considerable political influence when coupled with Roman state sponsorship, (you have to join, Jesus himself told you to) or perhaps, in the hands of a power-hungry Paul, seeking converts among Greeks.

I understand where you're coming from, but political power was not part of Jesus' (nor His disciples) agenda. Paul (Saul) was obviously of a different mindset before his experience on the road to Damascus (see: Acts ch.9), but whatever vested "political" (read: standing among the Saducees, Pharisees, etc) motives he may have had were left behind after his encounter. Do you know of any references citing either Jesus or any of His followers ever trying to appease or gain favor with the priests, or any other religious leaders? Neither Jesus nor His followers ever tried to gain favor with them. Jesus' entire ministry flew in the face of their teaching, and their conflicts are well known. Some of Jesus' followers met their demise at the hands of the religious leaders (see: Acts 4, Peter and John before the Sanhedrin, and Acts 7, Stephen addressing the Sanhedrin, and his subsequent stoning) for their antagonism. Hardly what I'd call "trying to gain favor."

You are right that Jesus exposed them for the hypocrites that they were. But what made them hypocrites? Perhaps it was that they were paying lip-service to Jewish custom, while being “Rome’s bitches”. Today the same could be said of most Congressmen; pandering to any interest they can while serving the interests of their big donors. It is the nature of power and was the same 2000 years ago. Rome was the sponsor of limited Jewish authority over their own people. The message that would have most upset them was that they needed to be faithful to Jewish laws, not Roman ones. This is outright public derision of them.

Read the Gospels; they clearly bring to light the hypocracy of the religious leaders.

I also have to take issue with Jesus’ claims to be God incarnate. Let’s consider this outside of Scripture for a minute. No Jew would have attracted even a single Jewish follower with this claim. Jews simply do not believe that a man can be holy, or that God can have a human component. Since we agree that Jesus had numerous Jewish followers, it is questionable that Jesus would have ever claimed it.

The Bible has many passages that bolster Jesus’ claims of divinity. However, some of those are simply statements taken out of context. Every Jew refers to themselves as son of man, and son of God. This is to remind Jews that they are of human origin but created in God’s image. Jesus using those words about himself is not a claim of divinity, despite a change in interpretation over time.

Other Scripture passages about Jesus’ claim to divine origins are matters of faith. But it is crucial to remember that none of the Gospels were written until 60 years after Jesus. Consider also that Paul was seeking converts among the Greeks prior to this, and his version of what the teachings of Jesus really were would be subject to his audience. Also, as there was no means to electronically capture words, the likelihood of teachings changing through oral discussion pre-Gospel is tremendous.

Jesus' claims to be God incarnate were what led to His crucifixion (along with His agitation of the religious leaders as previously mentioned).

One example: See matthew 14:53-65 where Jesus is before the Sanhedrin. The high priest asked Jesus "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?" Jesus responded by saying "I AM." The next words out of the priests mouth were "Why do we need anymore witness...You have heard the blasphemy" and tore his clothes (I'm sure you're aware of the significance of this).

OK...WHY did the priest get SO upset with Jesus' answer?...why did he refer to it as blasphemy?...seems like a simple answer.

Refer to my first post where Moses asked God whom shall I say sent me? God answered with "I AM." When Jesus used this same response to the high priests question as to who He was, the high priest immediately reacted because Jesus' answer equated Himself with God. There are many other instances where Jesus made His divinity known (see my 1st post), but in the interest of brevity...

Regarding the teachings of Jesus being subject to interpretation, oral inconsistencies, or being modified to suit the audience at hand...

If this logic is to be used, then the same logic would have to apply to ALL of scripture...the Torah, the entire O.T., etc., as there were no electronic means of capturing their words either. If trust is to be granted to the reliability of O.T. writings, then it must also be extended to N.T. writings as well.

The Gospel of Matthew was written in the early 50's A.D., Mark inbetween 65-70 A.D., Luke between 59-63 A.D., and John between 50-85 A.D., depending on whom you ask. Some believe the book of Joshua was written as late as 800 years after the events of the book, yet few question its authenticity. Many other O.T. writings follow suit, but again, I'm not aware of anyone questioning their authenticity either.

As Jews have a litany of commentaries on religious thought (the Talmud etc.) the idea of discussion and commentary on Jesus' teaching after his death is perfectly natural. In fact, such a thing existed; scholaras call it the "kerygma". These commentaries likely formed the basis for the Gospels, rather than the actual words of Jesus.

The Dead Sea Scrolls testify to the fact that Scripture has been largely unchanged over almost two millennia. They do not weigh in on what happened from Jesus’ death to the writing of the Gospels.

See above

I agree with the “can’t beat them, join them” categorization. However, it is also widely known that Constantine made up whole parts of the religion wholesale.

“Christmas” is a complete lie.

Agreed, and I do not celebrate it.

Much of what is considered central to Christianity today is derived from Constantine’s actions. We previously discussed the idea of Virgin Birth - this was taken wholesale from pagan Mithraism. No Jew would have listened to Jesus for even a second if he claimed to be born of a Virgin.

See: Micah 5:2 and Isaiah 7:14 for O.T. prophesies regarding Jesus' virgin birth. Also note that if Jesus had been sired by Joseph, He would not have been able to claim the legal rights to the throne of David. According to Jeremiah 22:28-30, there could be no king in Israel who was a descendant of king Jeconiah, and Matthew 1:12 relates that Joseph was of the lineage of Jeconiah. Had Joseph sired Jesus, Jesus would have been of a cursed bloodline. Mary, however, was of Davids bloodline; Matthew 1:2-17 gives Jesus' geneaology. This further attests to Jesus' virgin birth. Again, there are many more examples I can cite, but as I said before, in the interest of brevity...

Regarding Mithriasm: I did a search and found some interesting information on this web page:

http://www.tektonics.org/tekton_04_02_04_MMM.html

If Mithriasm had any influence on the "Christian" church, I would think it to have influenced Constantine's bastardized version of Christianity. Reference my earlier comment about the true Christian church of the time refusing to accept the obvious Roman and pagan influences. It is widely known that Jesus was not born on December 25th, as you referenced. This is one of many "left-overs" that have been handed down through the ages, attributed to tradition rather than fact.

Constantine’s mother walked Jerusalem and literally invented - out of thin air - “holy” sites. “Jesus carried the cross here”…”Jesus fell here” etc. were all simply creations of Constantine.

We agree that Constantine’s bastardization of early Christianity was a strictly political maneuver. This also explains why he would “humanize” the religion. Jews do not have things like “relics” or “saints”. Jews consider Moses the most important figure in their religion, but they don’t pray to him. It is actually forbidden in Judaism to revere a man that way. Jewish history conveys Moses’ humanity clearly; he led the Jews to the Promised Land, he gave them their laws, but he did not get to partake in the Promised Land.

However, relics and holy sites would be useful in enlisting pagan coverts.

Once these changes started to take place, the Jews became a liability. Jews wanted to nothing to do with Constantine’s version of Christianity. It’s paganism: statues and icons and such. This is the origin of the “rejection” of Jesus by Jews. This time in Roman history is actually called the time of the “Jewish problem”: what to do with a population (Jews) that knows about the real origins of Christianity but does not believe the new version? This is a real issue for rulers.

The Council of Nicaea was in 325. This was the codification of Christianity at the behest of Constantine. Soon after that was the era of the Jewish problem.... Rome started killing Jews at a furious rate of speed: kill them all and no one will remember them. Rome was so zealous in killing Jews that historians often say “if Rome had tanks and machine guns, they’d have gotten them all.”

The Jewish problem raged on through the mid to late 300s, but eventually, the killing of Jews stopped. It stopped not out of mercy, but because of a new philosophical approach: Jews must be allowed to survive, but never thrive; a permanent reminder of what happens to those who reject Rome.. (Reject Rome, not Jesus- Jesus became the human face of a political movement.)

In fact, it was Augustin of Hippo (St Augustin, son of St Monica) who uttered the exact phrase “Jews must be allowed to survive but never thrive.”

Historians believe (and your faith tells you otherwise, which is for you to decide) that the idea of Jesus as God did not arise until approximately 400 AD as part of a long term solution to the “Jewish problem”. Jesus is God, and the jews rejected him!

Note that the Jewish problem plagued Christianity for 1500 more years under the guise of rejecting God. This gave Christians "moral authority" to denigrate and mistreat, even kill off, the Jews. Jesus tried to save them,but they wouldn't listen. If they rejected Jesus, kill them! Remember, infidel is a Christian word. Yet the heart of the "Jewish problem" was the politics of Constantine! What a legacy: 1600 years.

Popes put the Jews in ghettos, forced conversion, etc., all the way up until the late 1800s. Martin Luther had some interesting comments on how to handle Jews as well. In fact, these practices only stopped in the late 1800’s when the Italians took all of the Pope’s land away for good, relegating him to 90 acres on Vatican Hill.

The last attempt at solving the “Jewish problem” was of course the rise of the Nazis. Hitler was a devout Catholic who used the historical messages of Catholicism along with Martin Luther’s vitriolic Jew-hatred to galvanize a population to kill Jews. When the Nazis spoke of a “Final Solution”, it was a “solution” to the Jewish problem. If this sounds far fetched, consider that the German city of Trier was a Roman outpost all the way back to the time of Constantine. He had a palace there. It was called Augustus Treverorum, but it was Trier. The roots of the “Jewish problem” in Germany were 1600 years old when Hitler came to power.

I am making all these points to show the extremely political nature of Christianity.

I understand completely where you're coming from, but again I ask that you not confuse protestant Christianity with Catholocism. While the two may seem similar on initial inspection, as I stated before there are vast differences in theologies. Martin Luthers 95 thesis bears this out well, but is not a complete list of discrepancies between the two faiths.

The Dead Sea Scrolls do speak to an amazing consistency of Scripture despite translation. The truth of them, though, remains a matter of faith.

Good posts

Likewise.

Top Bottom