Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Home workout exercise update...

casavant

The home workout thing is going pretty well. I'm doing 100% free weight exercises which is just like I trained back in high school before I had a gym membership. It's kind of funny to be using the exact same barbell that I was when I was sixteen and struggling to bench 185 for one rep.:) I go tan at the pool afterward, lying in the sun and savoring the endorphins. I still need a power rack for squats, but they run about $300. I'm going to start checking the classifieds on the off chance that someone is getting rid of one on the cheap. I also need some adjustable dumbbells and a chin/dip station, but here's what I have so far:

45lbs x 12
35lbs x 2
25lbs x 2
10lbs x 4
5lbs x 10
2.5lbs x 4

*olympic bench w/ incline capability
*olympic barbell w/ clips
*EZ-curl bar w/ collars
*trap bar
*neck harness
*dip belt

We've got a big stereo in the living room, so I can play whatever the hell I want. It's A-OK. I'm just going to have to make sure to ventilate the place and light some candles so it doesn't start to smell like a locker room.:D

All-in-all, I feel pretty good about the switch. I'll miss some of the people at the gym, but I see almost all of them at the bar or on campus anyway.

Sweet setup so far. Why do you need 2.5lb plates? Running low on coasters?

WODIN said:
Sweet setup so far. Why do you need 2.5lb plates? Running low on coasters?

I used them more when I was a lot smaller, but in my experience they can help quite a bit with breaking through plateaus. You forget that they're even there, but before you know it you're up 15 pounds on a lift and it was done in five pound increments. You see a lot of people repping with 315 in the gym, but they don't ever go up much beyond that because they won't increase incrementally. I often try to nudge the weight up as much as I can, instead of just being satisfied with the big plates.

You can get a pair of adjustable saw horses that will do, if you can't find a power rack really cheap, you can find them in Home Depot. Just have to start your squats from the bottom position.

Did you ever see pics of B folds set-up on the training board? He has no rack, uses oil drums instead and does some heavy squats started from the bottom.

Doktor Bollix said:
You can get a pair of adjustable saw horses that will do, if you can't find a power rack really cheap, you can find them in Home Depot. Just have to start your squats from the bottom position.

Did you ever see pics of B folds set-up on the training board? He has no rack, uses oil drums instead and does some heavy squats started from the bottom.

Right on, man. I'll definitely look into that. Spending a lot of money- really, spending any money- is just out of the question right now. I remember seeing b-folds setup a while back. Thanks for the suggestions.

WODIN said:
LOL!!! I was just being sarcastic cas.

Hehe- I know, but maybe some little dude out there will read this post sometime and he will be enlightened.

But I kinda doubt you mess with those little weights anymore with the poundages you push.

I didn't join a gym until 3 years ago.....I still have a set-up at home when time is cramped....

Cornholio said:
I didn't join a gym until 3 years ago.....I still have a set-up at home when time is cramped....

LOL. Thank you for the token answer, compadre. I was too embarrassed to lift anywhere but home when I started- that same embarrassment drove me to lift harder than anyone else in my high school. I transformed my identity in less than two years to "the big guy" (17 1/2" arms when I graduated- not too shabby)

What do you have for legs? Do you ever work them at home or just have the basic bench/barbell setup?

Top Bottom