Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Who else thinks the home run record is cheap now?

• Thread starter Thread starter plifter
  • Start date Start date
I agree next year Mac will be back. He has played maybe half the season and still hit 30. Besides I really don't want to see Bonds hold the record.

Dogballs said:
it is very feasible that before this century is over someone could hit 100 hr's in a season.

its also a lot of bullshit how pitchers a dealing up pitches for bonds to stroke just so they can go down in the record books as being the pither who gave up the homer. Start watching the way pitchers throw to him, youll see what Im talking about. it will probably be worse now than before.
Sorry dude, you are out of your fucking mind if you think that ANYONE would "groove" a pitch to Bonds; they hate him. But he's that good. He's a douchebag but you have to give him his props. I'll agree that Lima grooves pitches to Sammy and I think few will disagree.

Yes, the pitching can be called weak;
Yes, the strike zone is tiny;
Yes, the parks are smaller- But have you seen the average distance of those McGuire and Bonds' shots? We're talking routine 475-foot moonballs. These ain't no check- swing home runs here. And the training and size of these guys is unbelievable. Anyone on this board should appreciate that. Diet, weights, flexibility. These guys earn a little too much, but they work for it. On a similar note, look at Tiger Woods- they say the guy spends more time in the gym than on the course.

Is the record "cheaper"? Not really, Bonds still has 14 (that's 22%) MORE HR's than his next-closest competetor, and those guys see a lot more hittable pitches. And, except for now, when he really wants/needs to hit one more, he NEVER swings at a pitch out of the strike zone. Who in their right mind is gonna throw a 2-0 strike to a guy who will put you 1 or more runs down 30% of the time?

Attitude aside, that's why he's MVP material; he is the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER on his team. More players should learn from him, but he's what, 38? That studied discipline comes only with age. By the way, he's always been that good, it's clearly not a fluke. This guy is first-ballot hall of fame and he deserves the same credit as Ruth, Marris, Mantle and all those before him. He's a super freak in a world of freaks; those others were just freaks in a world of mortals.

Sure, someone might come along and hit 75,80 HR's. Jeez, Bonds could probably have hit 80 this year had he seen some more hittable pitches. And atheletes will get better and stronger. Remember, if the pitching's so weak (Schilling, Johnson come to mind), or the parks are smaller, or the balls (and the players) are juiced (they are not- "bounce" tests have been done at Princeton with new versus old balls), where are all the 50-HR guys?

In the old days, pitchers routinely threw 9 innings, every 3-4 days. There were no 90-MPH middle relievers who could come in for 2 innings or 100-MPH "closers" who threw 6 pitches, got the save and hit the showers. So there are definitely legitimate arguments that it is just as hard to hit those big numbers today as it was then. Marris (61*), Ruth (60), Mantle (57) all hit HR's in an era without weights, creatine, strength and conditioning coaches, or specialty pitchers; who knows how many McGuire or Bonds could have hit back them? I can assure you those guys might be riding the pine today, especially when you consider the Babe and Mantle's off-field habits.

So I wouldn't be selling any of Bonds' accomplishments short. He may be a complete asshole and a shitty human being, but he is also one of baselball's greatest players, (Ty Cobb comes to mind).

Last edited:
So who thinks being a great baseball player is more important than being a complete asshole and shitty human being? I don't like to buy stadiums for asshole players and asshole owners. So I pretty well left the major league sports scene. Womens gymnastics is far better entertainment.

Could anything be done (ie. fining the pitchers) if from now on they just walked Bonds? Just curious, I know it would never happen and would be incredibly stupid.

Test boy said:
So who thinks being a great baseball player is more important than being a complete asshole and shitty human being? I don't like to buy stadiums for asshole players and asshole owners. So I pretty well left the major league sports scene. Womens gymnastics is far better entertainment.
Agree with all but the women's gymnanstics part; that's why I still like hockey. For the most part real stand-up guys and far and away the best overall atheletes.

The Nature Boy said:

While agree with your 2nd paragraph, who remembers who pitched Big Mac his 70th homer? Not too many. It's no big deal.

Chan Ho Park will pitch him a nice fastball right down the middle, because he could care less.

I disagree strongly! Did any of you guys watch sportscenter last night right after the football game? After they acknowledged Bonds for hitting the homerun their words right after where "and the pitcher who gave up this record tieing homerun was...."

Pitchers will give up the gopher ball, you watch!

Dogballs said:

I disagree strongly! Did any of you guys watch sportscenter last night right after the football game? After they acknowledged Bonds for hitting the homerun their words right after where "and the pitcher who gave up this record tieing homerun was...."

Pitchers will give up the gopher ball, you watch!
You must mean south of reality, not South Carolina? Dogballs you are nuts!

Nature Boy's post was intended to mean who remembers him now...
Professional atheletes, unlike Bob Ueker, tend to take pride and do not want to be known for infamous things. No one wants to be known as the guy who gave up #71. Why else does the 27th hitter go up in a perfect game and swing (Mussina, Everett this year?)

Top Bottom