Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

where do you put your fingers on the bar?

ChinkNasty

New member
I've been experimenting with different grip widths on the bar during bench press (index on ring, middle finger on ring etc) and I've found that I use more chest with a wider grip (naturally) but I get this nagging shoulder pain when I go wide though...just wondering where yall put your hands on the bar during flat bench press...

thanks,
CN
 
i usually put my ring finger on the ring. used to do middle finger, and not that it makes a whole lot of difference, it just feels better. i have shoulder problems too, and cant even do flat bench, so i have to do incline. maybe its the exercise thats causing the pain not the grip.
 
I use index finger on the ring. Try tucking your elbows in more?

I used to get shoulder pain when I unracked the bar but I solved it by scooting further up the bench so I wouldn't have to reach so far back.
 
Pinky on ring...unless I am doing close grip in which case it is index on the smooth\knurling area(if that makes sense)
 
yea, I used to do more of a middle finger on ring finger placement but I've been working with the index on ring for more chest involvment (just personal feel). I've also been able to tuck my elbows more with the index on ring placement but I've been experiencing this shoulder pain too...
 
yea beast, at the palce I work out (which is like stuck in the 80s) there are like 3 different bars with 3 different rings...kind of a huge pain in the ass along with a mindfuck
 
ChinkNasty said:
yea beast, at the palce I work out (which is like stuck in the 80s) there are like 3 different bars with 3 different rings...kind of a huge pain in the ass along with a mindfuck


:FRlol: :FRlol: I know what you mean brother!! The last thing I want to fuckin do in the gym is think!! My adrenaline is going fucking insane and I hate to interrupt that! Aside from that I dont think too clearly in that state. I was having one helluva time trying to calculate 400, and 365lbs on the flat bench when training with my partner. I was doing the 5X5 at the time, with under 315lbs so instead of replacing the plates we added to them. Pain in the ass! When I was doing 300 on the 5X5 , it would be 2 45's and a 35 on each side plus two more 25's and a bunch of tens and 5's and 2.5's. Got confusing! Its nice to finally be working with 315+ on the 5X5 so I dont have to calculate that shit! Made it worth progressing for that reason alone! haha Keep KILLING that shit!!


4906205April2004m_083-med.JPG
 
WalkingBeast said:
:FRlol: :FRlol: I know what you mean brother!! The last thing I want to fuckin do in the gym is think!! My adrenaline is going fucking insane and I hate to interrupt that! Aside from that I dont think too clearly in that state. I was having one helluva time trying to calculate 400, and 365lbs on the flat bench when training with my partner. I was doing the 5X5 at the time, with under 315lbs so instead of replacing the plates we added to them. Pain in the ass! When I was doing 300 on the 5X5 , it would be 2 45's and a 35 on each side plus two more 25's and a bunch of tens and 5's and 2.5's. Got confusing! Its nice to finally be working with 315+ on the 5X5 so I dont have to calculate that shit! Made it worth progressing for that reason alone! haha Keep KILLING that shit!!


4906205April2004m_083-med.JPG

hahah...atta boy beast :)
 
The width of your grip all depends on how wide your torso is and how much you want to work your triceps.
I have a very wide/thick torso, so i go extra wide (middle fingers on the outer rings), however if i go to wide (index finger on outer rings), my shoulders take a beating.
 
Just don't forget that the next time you hear someone say that the bench press hurts their shoulders...that you are using a WIDE grip when doing them...and probably with your elbows out.

I'm a fairly wide shouldered person and my widest grip is pinky on the rings. Most of the time I use grips closer than that.

IMO...the chest contracts more with a closer grip...

B True
 
good shit, I always was told the wider the grip, the better for chest, on the bar I use, I put my whole hand right outside the ring!! might think about moving my grip in now though, thanks again
 
Top Bottom