Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Case Against The Ten Commandments!

2Thick

Elite Mentor
Platinum
The First Commandment - Thou shalt have no other gods before me!

See? Right away, we got a big, big problem. America is chock full of people with other religions - Muslim, Hindu, Bhuddist, Taoist, Wiccan - some of them worship different Gods, some of them worship NO God. Does this Commandment belong in a court-house? Of course it doesn't.

The Second Commandment - Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth!

Now there's a reasonable, level-headed, common-sense rule for living! No statues, because they might lead to dancing, which leads to... you know...

The Third Commandment - Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

Goddammit, this one just pisses me off! This Commandment stands in direct violation of the First Amendment, which guarantees Americans' freedom of speech. And do you know what the Bible (in its infinite wisdom) says should happen to people who break this Commandment? "And he that blasphemeth the name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death." (Leviticus 24:16). How un-American!

The Fourth Commandment - Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates.

Yer old pal Jerky wants to know why religious conservatives consider such an arbitrary, obviously religion-specific regulation as being fit to be put on display in government offices and law enforcement facilities, many of which (hospitals, cop shops) are open all week long, 24/7...

The Fifth Commandment - Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

So if my daddy were Arial Sharon, and I slapped him down when I found out about that whole Arab Massacre thing, then I should be put to death? In what way is this common sense? In what way is a person's relationship with their parents the government's business?

The Sixth Commandment - Thou shalt not kill.

Finally we get to a safe one, right? Wrong. For instance, most people are all for allowing cops to carry guns, and allowing them to use deadly force to apprehend dangerous, violent offenders. Most Americans are also pro-death penalty in cases where the crime is especially horrendous and where guilt is established with absolute certainty. Most people advocate the maintenence of our armed forces, who should be allowed to kill invading soldiers, if need be. Most people believe in an individual's right to defend oneself against aggression up to and including the use of deadly force against one's attacker. A great many people aslo believe that, should we ever face a painful, crippling illness, we should be allowed to choose our time of dying, and, if we are unable to do it ourselves, that we should be able to enlist the aide of another in 'killing' ourselves. And, finally, the majority of Americans advocate the availability of abortions, so that dangerous or unwanted pregnancies need not be carried to term against the will of the mother.

The Seventh Commandment - Thou shalt not commit adultery.

I ain't even gonna dignify this one with a response...

The Eight Commandment - Thou shall not steal.

The first reasonable Commandment... and it's number eight! We're almost done, here!

The Ninth Commandment - Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

This one is commonly misinterpreted as "Thou Shalt Not Lie," which wouldn't be reasonable (It would make police under-cover work impossible, for one thing!). Taken literally, however, this Commandment simply sez you shouldn't tell lies about other people. Don't say you saw this dude stabbing that dude if you didn't see this dude stabbing that dude... pretty simple, and the only judicially relevant Commandment.

The Tenth Commandment - Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

What? But coveting is the basis of CAPITALISM, baby! And capitalism is the engine that keeps America humming along. Therefore, this Commandment is the ultimate un-American statement!

THE END!

From dailydirt.com

goodpost 2skinny. I especially like what you did with 7th commandment. But aren't these laws based on traditional conservative views which would conflict the current American values lol

Within 5 or so years religion (Christianity mostly) will be outlawed from America (probably everywhere). So don't worry big back guy, you wont have to put up with too much longer

The Ten commandments are a simply a guide to keep the mind clear. If taken in context of the individual, the self, they relate very well to the the bhudist terms of Keeping a Right mind through right action.

Which is in essence saying nothing more than don't be a dickhead and you wont be swimming in judgemental thoughts about being a dickhead.

AUmmmmmmm.... :)

2Thick said:
The First Commandment - Thou shalt have no other gods before me!

See? Right away, we got a big, big problem. America is chock full of people with other religions - Muslim, Hindu, Bhuddist, Taoist, Wiccan - some of them worship different Gods, some of them worship NO God. Does this Commandment belong in a court-house? Of course it doesn't.

The Second Commandment - Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth!

Now there's a reasonable, level-headed, common-sense rule for living! No statues, because they might lead to dancing, which leads to... you know...

The Third Commandment - Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

Goddammit, this one just pisses me off! This Commandment stands in direct violation of the First Amendment, which guarantees Americans' freedom of speech. And do you know what the Bible (in its infinite wisdom) says should happen to people who break this Commandment? "And he that blasphemeth the name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death." (Leviticus 24:16). How un-American!

The Fourth Commandment - Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates.

Yer old pal Jerky wants to know why religious conservatives consider such an arbitrary, obviously religion-specific regulation as being fit to be put on display in government offices and law enforcement facilities, many of which (hospitals, cop shops) are open all week long, 24/7...

The Fifth Commandment - Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

So if my daddy were Arial Sharon, and I slapped him down when I found out about that whole Arab Massacre thing, then I should be put to death? In what way is this common sense? In what way is a person's relationship with their parents the government's business?

The Sixth Commandment - Thou shalt not kill.

Finally we get to a safe one, right? Wrong. For instance, most people are all for allowing cops to carry guns, and allowing them to use deadly force to apprehend dangerous, violent offenders. Most Americans are also pro-death penalty in cases where the crime is especially horrendous and where guilt is established with absolute certainty. Most people advocate the maintenence of our armed forces, who should be allowed to kill invading soldiers, if need be. Most people believe in an individual's right to defend oneself against aggression up to and including the use of deadly force against one's attacker. A great many people aslo believe that, should we ever face a painful, crippling illness, we should be allowed to choose our time of dying, and, if we are unable to do it ourselves, that we should be able to enlist the aide of another in 'killing' ourselves. And, finally, the majority of Americans advocate the availability of abortions, so that dangerous or unwanted pregnancies need not be carried to term against the will of the mother.

The Seventh Commandment - Thou shalt not commit adultery.

I ain't even gonna dignify this one with a response...

The Eight Commandment - Thou shall not steal.

The first reasonable Commandment... and it's number eight! We're almost done, here!

The Ninth Commandment - Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

This one is commonly misinterpreted as "Thou Shalt Not Lie," which wouldn't be reasonable (It would make police under-cover work impossible, for one thing!). Taken literally, however, this Commandment simply sez you shouldn't tell lies about other people. Don't say you saw this dude stabbing that dude if you didn't see this dude stabbing that dude... pretty simple, and the only judicially relevant Commandment.

The Tenth Commandment - Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

What? But coveting is the basis of CAPITALISM, baby! And capitalism is the engine that keeps America humming along. Therefore, this Commandment is the ultimate un-American statement!

THE END!

From dailydirt.com

Wow! What a thoughtful and logically argued article. I was wondering what Bill Clinton was doing these days.

"Thou shall have no other gods before me" shows early Christianity was polytheistic in terms of the root religion that Christianity was, it recognized other gods back in the day. Other than that, this list of the ten from the daily dirt is not funny and a waste of space.

Like Wodin said, the 10 are a solid guide to proper action.

Chester_Copperpot said:
Other than that, this list of the ten from the daily dirt is not funny and a waste of space.

Actually it is a great education piece, for it shows the hatred of morality, in whatever form, by the left. The irrational arguments that it proposes against "murder" (which it erroneously stated "thou shall not kill", but was originally "without just cause" or simply "murder"), adultery, coveting others goods, etc. are evidence of the mindlessness of the left.

But for other leftists, this was to them, a brilliant piece.

atlantabiolab said:

Actually it is a great education piece, for it shows the hatred of morality, in whatever form, by the left. The irrational arguments that it proposes against "murder" (which it erroneously stated "thou shall not kill", but was originally "without just cause" or simply "murder"), adultery, coveting others goods, etc. are evidence of the mindlessness of the left.

But for other leftists, this was to them, a brilliant piece.
I think the main point of the article was that, while our western morals and even some of our laws somewhat reflect the ten commandments, the ten commandments have no direct relevance to lawmaking.

WODIN said:
The Ten commandments are a simply a guide to keep the mind clear. If taken in context of the individual, the self, they relate very well to the the bhudist terms of Keeping a Right mind through right action.

Which is in essence saying nothing more than don't be a dickhead and you wont be swimming in judgemental thoughts about being a dickhead.

AUmmmmmmm.... :)

That was surprisingly lucid........I concur.

Chester_Copperpot said:
"Thou shall have no other gods before me" shows early Christianity was polytheistic in terms of the root religion that Christianity was, it recognized other gods back in the day.

Good grief. Christianity was never polytheistic!
The Ten Commandments are Old Testament, which means they form the basis of monotheistic Judaism...which came BEFORE Christianity.
The reason for this commandment is: when the Jews entered the "promised land" they were surrounded by other peoples who worshiped idols, sprits, ancestors...every village had their own God.
The commandment says: don't worship like the idiots around you are worshiping!

Top Bottom