Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The 80's lakers or celtics would destroy any nba team today.

biteme

MVP
EF VIP
I've been researching. They shot at a much higher percentage as a team than any team today. Either of these teams could easily sweep the Lakers of today. Today's NBA players suck compared to the 80's players. They are largely a bunch of showboaters who don't play fundamentally sound basketball and can't shoot worth a shit.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...not a chance. Who would cover shaq? And once you get him covered, who would cover malone? And then what about Kobe? Wait, there's still gary payton.

Those were great teams...but the sport changes...no old time teams could beat any of todays teams in most sports.

Bulldog_10 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...not a chance. Who would cover shaq? And once you get him covered, who would cover malone? And then what about Kobe? Wait, there's still gary payton.

Those were great teams...but the sport changes...no old time teams could beat any of todays teams in most sports.

Forget the Lakers, they can't even beat the Spurs so how could they beat a team with Kareem, Magic, Worthy et al? I agree with the premise that athletes in general are better today but the Lakers of the 80's along with the Jordan Bulls were the 2 greatest basketball teams in the last 30 years.

bluepeter said:
Forget the Lakers, they can't even beat the Spurs so how could they beat a team with Kareem, Magic, Worthy et al? I agree with the premise that athletes in general are better today but the Lakers of the 80's along with the Jordan Bulls were the 2 greatest basketball teams in the last 30 years.

They'll beat the spurs. No one on that team could stop shaq...it's just not possible. Same with the bulls...who would cover him? Horace Grant?

I don't even like the lakers...but they're just too good. If they played together as long as those guys did, they would be the best team ever...too bad they're gonna break up after this year.

Bulldog_10 said:
They'll beat the spurs. No one on that team could stop shaq...it's just not possible. Same with the bulls...who would cover him? Horace Grant?

I don't even like the lakers...but they're just too good. If they played together as long as those guys did, they would be the best team ever...too bad they're gonna break up after this year.

I agree on the who would cover Shaq premise but if he's so unguardable, how come his teams haven't won the championship every year since he came in the league? Malone and Payton are ready for social security other than the occasional flashback. Kobe is an excellent player but is also one of the most overrated in the league. How many other upper echelon stars get as many open looks as he does? None. They have to double team Shaq. and he still doesn't shoot a good percentage!

To use the Bulls as an example, Wennington and Longley would play Hack a Shack while Pippen smothered Kobe, Rodman played Malone to a draw (he did that even when Malone was in his prime) and Jordan would destroy the rest. The Lakers would be lucky to win a game.

bluepeter said:
I agree on the who would cover Shaq premise but if he's so unguardable, how come his teams haven't won the championship every year since he came in the league? Malone and Payton are ready for social security other than the occasional flashback. Kobe is an excellent player but is also one of the most overrated in the league. How many other upper echelon stars get as many open looks as he does? None. They have to double team Shaq. and he still doesn't shoot a good percentage!

To use the Bulls as an example, Wennington and Longley would play Hack a Shack while Pippen smothered Kobe, Rodman played Malone to a draw (he did that even when Malone was in his prime) and Jordan would destroy the rest. The Lakers would be lucky to win a game.

It would be a good matchup...but it wouldn't work. Pippen, as good a defender as he was...wouldn't be able to contain kobe by himself. They'd have to bring help from the backside every so often, and wennington and longley would have to either waste fouls on him, or he'd dish to shaq and he would throw it down every time.

Hack a shaq only works for 10 fouls, aside from that he would dominate. The bulls had good defense, and they might be able to contain the Lakers...but who the hell is gonna score aside from Jordan? Pippen is good for a couple 3's and some nice moves to the bucket...but rodman? Wennington? Longley? That's 3 players that wouldn't score a point during the whole game...aside from maybe a few foul shots. You can't have people like that on the floor. Everyone on the lakers would contribute on offense, whereas the bulls would be playing 2 on five on the offensive end.

Bulldog_10 said:
It would be a good matchup...but it wouldn't work. Pippen, as good a defender as he was...wouldn't be able to contain kobe by himself. They'd have to bring help from the backside every so often, and wennington and longley would have to either waste fouls on him, or he'd dish to shaq and he would throw it down every time.

Hack a shaq only works for 10 fouls, aside from that he would dominate. The bulls had good defense, and they might be able to contain the Lakers...but who the hell is gonna score aside from Jordan? Pippen is good for a couple 3's and some nice moves to the bucket...but rodman? Wennington? Longley? That's 3 players that wouldn't score a point during the whole game...aside from maybe a few foul shots. You can't have people like that on the floor. Everyone on the lakers would contribute on offense, whereas the bulls would be playing 2 on five on the offensive end.

No way dude but we'll never know :)

bluepeter said:
No way dude but we'll never know :)

They should simulate it. You ever watch those games on ESPN where they match up two teams from different eras? I think they only did it with football though.

I know one of the 80's Celtics players...I'm gonna ask his opinion when I see him...probably not until July.

Bulldog_10 said:
They should simulate it. You ever watch those games on ESPN where they match up two teams from different eras? I think they only did it with football though.

I know one of the 80's Celtics players...I'm gonna ask his opinion when I see him...probably not until July.

I heard about that but never watched one....

The Detroit Pistons of the 'Bad Boys' championship years were my favorite team to watch. They were basketball players with hockey players' hearts. They didn't just beat you...they beat you up in the process.

Top Bottom