Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Rest days???

MikeLB333

I have been reading a lot of info on this site for about 3 months now. I really like a lot of the opnions that i see, so i had a question for some of the vets on this site regarding rest days.

I am 17 6" 200 lbs, roughly 15% bodyfat I have been working out 3 years because of playing football, ive been training very seriously for a year and a half. I eat very clean (no fast foods no sodas etc)

My coaches push us to work out in football and then after school at the gym both for atleast an hour and a half. I have seen a lot of people post on here that younger kids should only workout 3 to 4 days a week i have been working out once a day 6x week and 3 out of those 6 days i work out twice.

So my question is am i over training? i usually only take one rest day a week, is this enough?
I feel great everytime i hit the gym and i feel like crap when i dont but i feel i should be getting stronger for how much i workout.

well when i weightlifted in high school on the team our coach made us come in 6X per week. we worked out 45 minutes running (in 90 degree heat in the afternoon btw)/ 45 minutes weights during the day. then we would have to come in on saturdays. I think today it would be hard for me to pull this off. and yes all of us got stronger during the season. then during the summer we had to come in 3X per week.

if you want to excell at weightlifting then join the weightlifting team which will definately boost you for football next year

I have been reading a lot of info on this site for about 3 months now. I really like a lot of the opnions that i see, so i had a question for some of the vets on this site regarding rest days.

I am 17 6" 200 lbs, roughly 15% bodyfat I have been working out 3 years because of playing football, ive been training very seriously for a year and a half. I eat very clean (no fast foods no sodas etc)

My coaches push us to work out in football and then after school at the gym both for atleast an hour and a half. I have seen a lot of people post on here that younger kids should only workout 3 to 4 days a week i have been working out once a day 6x week and 3 out of those 6 days i work out twice.

So my question is am i over training? i usually only take one rest day a week, is this enough?
I feel great everytime i hit the gym and i feel like crap when i dont but i feel i should be getting stronger for how much i workout.

The first sign of overtraining is feeling fatigue all the time and your strength will slow to a halt if not go backwards. Recovery is crucial to success. I am a competative power lifter and I usually train 4 xs a week. Rarely 5 xs and thats usually recovery work if needed. Running hard will limit strength gain but as an athlete its crucial for conditioning. I would suggest 3 days of weight training in addition to running. Just make sure when you are not training you are resting. Build your 3 days around squat, bench, dead lift. Thats mon squat, wed bench, friday deadlift. This is what you base your training around. Focus your training around building strength, power, explosiveness, speed, and conditioning. And dont forget to eat, eat, and eat some more.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

well when i weightlifted in high school on the team our coach made us come in 6X per week. we worked out 45 minutes running (in 90 degree heat in the afternoon btw)/ 45 minutes weights during the day. then we would have to come in on saturdays. I think today it would be hard for me to pull this off. and yes all of us got stronger during the season. then during the summer we had to come in 3X per week.

if you want to excell at weightlifting then join the weightlifting team which will definately boost you for football next year

Well football has a weightlifting class we focus just on weightlifting from jan to about march and then also incorporate practice starting in march. But yea I just think that football players have to work out slightly different than weightlifters.

The first sign of overtraining is feeling fatigue all the time and your strength will slow to a halt if not go backwards. Recovery is crucial to success. I am a competative power lifter and I usually train 4 xs a week. Rarely 5 xs and thats usually recovery work if needed. Running hard will limit strength gain but as an athlete its crucial for conditioning. I would suggest 3 days of weight training in addition to running. Just make sure when you are not training you are resting. Build your 3 days around squat, bench, dead lift. Thats mon squat, wed bench, friday deadlift. This is what you base your training around. Focus your training around building strength, power, explosiveness, speed, and conditioning. And dont forget to eat, eat, and eat some more.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness[/

I have been focusing on compound lifts in football but when you say focus on bench for wednesday what else should I do with that workout normally I would go through bench, incline, decline, DB incline, DB bench, two different chest machines, chest
Flys, then dips, tricep pull downs, skull crushers, and ending with sets of pushups is that too much? Cause I really don't feel fatigued or that it is to much

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness[/

I have been focusing on compound lifts in football but when you say focus on bench for wednesday what else should I do with that workout normally I would go through bench, incline, decline, DB incline, DB bench, two different chest machines, chest
Flys, then dips, tricep pull downs, skull crushers, and ending with sets of pushups is that too much? Cause I really don't feel fatigued or that it is to much

The majority of those exercises you listed are for chest development not for increased.performance. Do heavy bench.press, board presses, floor presses, close grip bench,db bench, push ups, dips, speed bench, benches with chains and bands, over head press, ballistic bench, jm press, and close db bench. These are the exercises for chest day to choose from. Pick 1 heavy bench version, 2 assistance exercises, 1 tricep mass builder.
An example

Bench press 6 sets 3 reps
3 board press with chains 4x6
Db press 3 x12
Skull crushers 3x8
If you want you can do 2 sets push ups to failure to burnout.

You could do this for 3 weeks then mix it up. After 3 weeks your body will begin to adapt and stop growing. 3 weeks is the max then switch either exercises or rep ranges. The goal of each set is to build strength and explosive power. So do the reps with good technique, lower the bar dont drop it, then push it as hard and fast as you can. The chest flys dont have any benefit to a football player so I wouldnt waste my time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

overtraining is dependent on your intensity, rest and eating.. you cant just say you lift 6 days a week but not talk about your workouts and intensity level, what percentage of your max youre working with, how close to failure and how many sets you actually take to failure, if you do drop sets, forced reps, your eating and sleeping, and which days you train which muscle groups.

Top Bottom