Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

One of those dumb situational Questions

epimetheus

Ok, you all are going to hate me for this one. It has been haunting my thoughts quite often this last week though and I thought it might be interesting to pose the question.

Take a pro boxer, say Lewis, and pit him against a UFC champ. Like Tank mentioned in the thread in Training discussion. Whom would win in a no-holds barred fight. It might seem like an easy victory for the UFC fighter, but would it really? How good would a UFC champ hold up in a boxing ring? Some do train, or have had some background in boxing right?

Generally I would say there are too many variables to answer definatively but.

Say you have Tito Ortiz against Roy Jones (who with moving up to heavyweight would be comparable in size) fighting UFC rules, I would guess that 90% of the time Tito will close the gap, clinch, and take him down and Ground and Pound until a stoppage or a knockout. But a good boxer aways has a punchers chance. If you take Roy and give him 6 months to work on sprawls and takedown defense. He lasts longer and maybe the percentage comes down to 85%.

Now you take Tito and put him in the ring with Roy in a boxing match. 95% of the time Roy takes him out. Tito has a chance of landing a lucky punch but that is about it.

no way...if youre talking roy jones, then its roy Jones, in any type of fight..if youre talking Lennox Lewis, then of course its Lewis..if you were talking about average to good boxers against these guys then you'd have a case, but not the best boxers in our generation, thats just crazy. And you gotta realize, that most of these guys...Lewis especially grew up fighting in street fights...dont think they dont know how to throw down...

ZGzaZ,

You are truly ignorant to the versatility and skill of the elite MMA practicioner and fighter. Because of this, your opinion is worthless. Boxing is but one of the many skills a truly well versed fighter should be familiar with. Any idiot who relies on it alone in the sport of MMA will have a short and unsuccessful career.

ZGzaZ said:
no way...if youre talking roy jones, then its roy Jones, in any type of fight..if youre talking Lennox Lewis, then of course its Lewis..if you were talking about average to good boxers against these guys then you'd have a case, but not the best boxers in our generation, thats just crazy. And you gotta realize, that most of these guys...Lewis especially grew up fighting in street fights...dont think they dont know how to throw down...

I think you overestimate the ability of a boxer to stop a committed shot. If they can't stop the takedown, they are no longer boxing, they are wrestling and are completely out of their element. I don't doubt they could win sometimes, but the majority of the time they would lose. Boxing isn't Mixed Martial Arts.

Kwai-Chang Caine, nobody said anything about a career...the question was about 1 fight. And I may under-estimate a takedown ability or wrestling ability of these guys, doesnt matter...it seems to me that you underestimate the power of a great boxer....try to takedown a guy who can knock you the fuck out in 1 punch. Like I said before, we're not talking about the average boxer, I'm speaking of a Jones, Lewis or Tyson, these guys knock people out with gloves on that cushion the impact, and dont call me ignorant, because theres never been a situation where this has happened, so your opinion is just as worthless as mine, and even more less valid because of the fact that you call mine ignorant.

Ah Christ.....

ZgzaZ,
The reason I replied as I did is because for a while this question was asked numerous times with many, many very foolish answers. A boxer is capable of living in ONE world. A mixed martial artist is a machine designed to cover ALL worlds. All the MMA fighter must do is to pull the boxer into any world he is not capable of operating in and it is over.

Do you really think pro-boxers are the only people that can knock you out with one hit? Ever been in a bare knuckle fight? It doesn't take very much impact to jar the average person enough to lay them down. Therefore, that threat always exists in a fight, and MMA's train to avoid this and manipulate it.

There's never been a fight between a boxer and a MMA? Uhhhh.......okay. Think about that for just a second. It happens all the time and guess what......

Either...
1. the boxer is overcome by a shoot and goes to the ground where he has not been, and is unable to use his only weapons.

2. He is greeted by feet which has never been a threat in his career, therefore he cannot deal with it. Ever seen a boxer that knows how to protect his legs from round kicks that will devastate him? How about dealing with front or axe kicks. Any of these things will keep the MMA out of the boxer's reach, thereby making anything the boxer has useless.

The best pro boxers are no better athletes than pro MMA's. ITs simply a matter of exposure and money. I personally know so many guys that would make any pro-boxer cry its funny.

Epimetheus,
This topic has been covered a thousand damn times. I was being respectful by not responding.
And your comments are called for how? You got insulted because I made a polite point about arrogance once and you took it personally for some reason? Maybe you noticed I did not respond to your further insulting crap on the other board out of respect for the other board members, and out of maturity. Learn from it. If you don't like it....too bad, drop it.

Check your pm box. If you have a problem with me you will find how to contact me in person, and where you can find me. Keep it off the boards. And fuck you for being disrespectful.

Boxing is a SINGLE and NARROW aspect of fighting that is easily overcome by a MMA who is versed in all aspects of fighting. Yes, of course the boxer must be respected and his upper recognized as a threat, and there's always a chance(as small as it may be). Thats simply the way it is. Its common sense. There is no argument here. Go into any MMA dojo and ask this question and you will be laughed out on your ass.

Good post Thaibox

Problems are most MMa fighter are lacking in punching skills since the focus on grappling and kicking. Now many say the have boxing backgrounds, they do compromise much hand quickness and form when training to grapple and foot positioning when trying to kick.

Boxers punching power is unrivaled by any other form in my opinion. But they lack elbows, kness, and most of all grappling. Many of their stances keep their front leg close to their opponent which leaves them open to most leg takedowns and kicks,

Most MMA guys will beat a boxer of same stature. But this depends on who strikes first with accuraccy. This is because most MMA guys train to fight, not box. If Tito tryed to step in a boxing ring with a decent boxer he would get pummled....

Top Bottom