Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

NFL versus Rugby

bits

Which of these 2 sports have the superior atheletes.
Overall, I think American football players are way superior.
They tend to be bigger, faster, STRONGER than the average rugby player.

Why is it like this though?
Why cant rugby players get bigger?
I dont think they're pushed hard enough.

I'm a rugby player and am about 6'3 and 320, so some of us are big. For rugby you need to be very fit. Go to a decent rugby club and ask to join one of their fitness sessions and see if they are pushed hard or not.

Its a completely different game and consequently the athletes are very different too. Comparisons aren't fair in that regard. If they all played the same sport you'd find that they were similar in the attributes you mentioned.

I play rugby aswell buddy. We had this NFL vs Rugby discussion on another board.

After you're done putting forward your subjective views, you'll find it's just a case of apples vs oranges.

Fucking ridiculous comparison bits.

Rugby you are being pounded for 80 mins. No pads, no time outs (except half time). You take a hit, get up, run, take another hit etc. The pro's are big, but functionally bit, with endurance to boot.

NFL is effectively (according to my limited knowledge) up to 5 short sprints, then you are off the field while your buddies take over. This means they can be bigger and potentially stronger, but believe me, not many NFL pro's would last a whole Rugby game.

They are two totally different games, I have never played American Football but I watch it all the time.

As soon as I start getting into a game, they cut away for a commercial break or back to the studio for so more analysis.

American Football players can be heavy 300lbs+ because they don't have to worry about carrying it for a long period of time, sure the tight-ends/wide recievers etc are leaner and faster but they still only have to concentrate on a play that will last a maximum of 30 seconds.

Rugby players have to be aerobically fit, to last 80 minutes, the anaerobic capacity to sprint fast for varying distances while having the functional strength and power to take big hits.

I believe rugby is a harder game to play because players do not get the rests/breaks/stoppages that Football players enjoy.

RugbyNut.

Football players have more than short bursts of power, they have to go all out on every play, running, swim moves, spins, scratching, fighting, punching, diving, running some more, then huddle for a few seconds and do it again 50+ times a game...they do have remarkable endurance as well as power and agility.

To say football players only have short bursts of power is not accurate; and would only be stated by someone who never played football.

Now, the question is which sport has the "Superior Athletes", Football or Rugby?

If you play Rugby you think you are superior because you run the whole time with no break.

If you play ball then you think you are stronger and more athletic, just because rugby players do not dish and receive BIG TIME HITS as in football.

I know they hit, but not like a line backer blind-side a QB with a 15 yard sprint, (lawerence Taylor vs Joe Theisman) or a punt returner who catches the ball and gets his ass knocked out by a Special Teams Missle.

Obviously, I am partial to football players, but both Rugby and Football have Superb Athletes. The games are different and the games are similar, but neither can say they are superior... IF I HAVE to pick ONE...
I go FOOTBALL!

my2cc

Man, I have to give props to rugby players. I have a great deal of respect for NFL players too. I'd rather watch NFL than any other sport there is (except amateur wrestling). But I think it takes nuts to play rugby, knowing that you are gonna get pounded given the lack of pads and all.

Football is a much better sport than rugby. There is no comparison. Rugby players are very fast but football players are much stronger. Also football players get hit so much harder than rugby players. I seriously think if football players didn't wear helmets and stuff there would be deaths every year. They go helmet to helmet so hard.

Top Bottom