Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Muscle injury, questions on therapy

DerekPSU

New member
Ok, so here is my dilemma.

About a year and 8 months ago I had a weight lifting accident which injured me. I am still suffering from this injury today.

I was doing shoudler press with two 55lb dumbells. While I had the dumbells held overhead, I lost control of the weight with my right arm. The dumbell and my arm got pulled backwards away from my back and downwards below my shoulder. I did not feel any pain at the time of the injury. I did notice any pain until about a week following the injury. Over the next month I noticed a gradual increase in sharp pain in my right tricep during tricep exercises. I stopped lifting for a week, then I resumed with lighter weight and tried to gradually increase over time. I would eventually experience the same pain in my right tricep/upper arm area. I took several small breaks from lifting, always again resuming gradually. I'm not sure how much time had passed, but I started to get pain in my right upper shoulder and my right shoulder blade/scapula. I would experience a very uncomfortable feeling in my right upper shoulder when doing certain exercises with a certain amount of weight, ex: incline bench. It would feel like some things were grinding, or rubbing, or bumping together in my shoulder. I also developed a loud popping noise in my upper shoulder whenever I perform certain arm movements. I still have this popping noise today, although it doesn't cause pain. After doing certain exercises with a certain amount of weight, (flat bench press, standing bicep curls, back exercises like rowing) I would have pain in my right shoulder blade area. Sometimes the pain would be mild, and be more of like a dull ache. Other times the pain would be more severe and would be caused by standing completely still and merely turning or tilting my head to the right. I still have these symptoms with my right shoudler blade/scapula area today. The pain in my right upper arm/tricep area evolved into more of just a mild ache following exercise, I don't seem to have pain in the arm during lifting anymore.

What I am most concerned with is my present severe symptom: the pain in my shoulder blade/scapula which is caused by exercising. The pain is present almost always, sometimes just a very mild ache. Other times it is more severe such as being caused by turning my head to the right. My present less severe symptoms are the mild aches in the upper right arm/tricep following exercise, the grinding rubbing in the upper shoulder during exercise, and the loud popping noises in the upper shoulder during arm movement.

For my therapy, I tried to take time periods off of exercising completely, to let the muscles heal. The time periods were often no more than a week or two, then I would resume lifting. At one point, I took two months off with no exercise whatsoever. Evidently, it didn't solve the problem. Here is what I have done for my therapy as prescribed by orthopaedic doctors and physical therapists. I have drastically reduced the amount of exercises and weights I use at the gym. I have tried starting off very small and slowly working my way up. But, I end up with the same results. I tried home exercises, specifically designed to strengthen my shoulder/scapula area. The doctors noticed my scapula was out of position and was not being held in place during movement. They said the arm pain was referred pain. They felt my rotator cuff was weak and needed to be strengthened. In general, they did not feel there was a muscle tear, they felt there was a muscle strain which weakened the muscle(s). They also mentioned the idea of possible nerve damage. I did therapy exercises for my shoulder every day multiple times a day for 1-2 months. Then I did some different exercises at home every day. I entered into a 4-week physical therapy program at the hospital, doing shoulder strengthening exercises every day either at the hospital or at home. I cut down to 5 days a week and now every other day, with the theory that the muscles are not getting enough rest. I have kept my time lifting at the gym very minimal, only doing exercises that would not strain my shoulder, and starting off with very light weight gradually increasing.

Xrays and MRI of the shoulder returned normal results. I will have MRI results of the spine on the 22nd.

After all of this, I seem to run into the same problems which keep me from making any progress. I would just like to know if anyone has any ideas as to what exactly may be wrong with me, and what I can do to fix it?
 
First you have to figure out what muscles have been damaged to know where the problem is. Does your arm hurt if someone else moves it with everything relaxed. Which direction does your scapula move because of its unfixed position? What movements hurt your arm? For example, external rotation, internal rotation, abduction, adduction, flexion or extension. It is always good to get a second opinion and that is something to look in to.
 
You need to see a chiropractor...before you say all they do is crack backs listen...call up some local chiropractors and ask them if they are straight or mixed prctitioners. What you need is a mixed chiropractor b/c they deal with all musculo/skeletal problems, not just the spine. Now depending on where you live it might be harder to find a mixed doc (if you live in michigan dont even bother to try). Once you find this chiropractor bring him your xrays and MRI and he should be able to help you out. Your injury is chronic so it might take some time to heal. Sometimes chiropractors can do things PT's can't...but then agiain my opinoin is slightly biased...
 
If I stand relaxed and move my arm around, I do not experience pain in my arm. During certain movements, I will experience a grinding/rubbing/popping in the upper shoulder. What causes the aches in the upper arm (mostly tricep), is performing tricep exercises. If I lift my arms straight overheard, or if I stand facing a wall and push it with my hands straight out, my right scapula looks different than the left because it is tilted. I am not sure in what direction exactly.

I will try to get an opinion from a chiropractor. The orthopaedic doctors said my xrays and MRI were normal. Would that help the chiropractor at all to look at them?
 
I would bring them to the chiropractor, just so he could see what he's dealing with, even if they are normal which I'm sure they are if the MD says so. But this will also save you money and time so the chiropractor won't have to do them again.
 
I agree with bringing your x-rays and MRI's to the chiropractor. This would be a good idea and definitely can't hurt.
 
These guys are right, a chiropractor may surprise you and get you going again.

I`ve had back injuries (still do) for many years but never went to a chiro because "I did`nt want my back cracked" but when the pain was so bad I could`nt even breathe due to the expanding rib cage causing pain. I tried it. and I would recommend them to anyone.
I used to go for weeks just like you with no lifting to "heal" but when I get back it starts all over again. Now when I feel pain I get it fixed right away. No more days in bed immobile. good luck
 
duritz said:


how much can you bench??

Honestly, not a lot. Around 200 at the moment. I have not been able to train heavy since before my injury, due to excessive pain. I really don't see how the amount I can bench matters though, I am just concerned with repairing whatever I damaged.

I did go to a chiropractor. He aligned the vertebrae in my back along with some other things. It seems to have helped. He said my scapula was in alignment on thursday. Although, on Friday I did have some pain in the shoulder blade area after doing some light weight front and rear deltoid exercises.
 
Find a chiro who practices ART (Active Release Technique). Here's a website with more info:

http://www.activereleasetechnique.com/art.html

I was turned on to this type of soft tissue therapy by a world level PLer; he'd been so beat up he almost contemplated quitting the sport. After a few months of ART, he turned around and got a gold in the squat and third overall at the 2002 World Championships - that's how big a difference it can make.

I was overstretching (splits) and really messed up my hip flexors. I started ART therapy 5 weeks out from Nationals, and was feeling awesome by the time I had to go out onstage. Considering I couldn't stretch without tears in my eyes, this was HUGE! I continue to go once a week for maintenance (and it seems like something could stand to be fine tuned every week - the joys of training). I can't say enough about the benefits of ART. If you can, find a level 3 ART practitioner - they're usually the ones who do the most work on athletes; my guy pretty much only deals with athletes, and he understands the "I have a competition so I'm gonna train no matter what" mentality.
 
Top Bottom