Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Microsoft still spinning in circles with the Xbox 360

hanselthecaretaker

High End Bro
Platinum
Xbox 360 Update May Cause System Failures
By Gavin Steacy, published on February 10, 2009 at 8:10 AM
Source: Tom's Guide US | Keywords: xbox, update, rrod, e74 |

Microsoft's Xbox 360 has come under criticism once again as reports emerge that say the latest round of updates may have caused far more problems than it fixed.

ZoomA 13-page thread on the official Xbox.com forum is filled with users who updated their consoles with the February 3rd mandatory Dashboard update and experienced a range of problems after shutting down the console and powering on again.

Common problems that users have reported are the system refusing to power on with a "Red Ring of Death," an error code E71 or E74, random freezing in games after varying periods of time and graphical glitches. Microsoft does not give many details about the aforementioned error codes, only that they are caused by "hardware failures." Microsoft states a few basic fixes on this support page such as disconnecting and reconnecting cables and devices such as the hard drive.

Some of those who did not end up with failed consoles reported problems running certain resolutions over HDMI, including one user who couldn't output more than 480p.

The mandatory update was released to address "the issue that a few folks were having with audio and their HDMI connection." It seems that those "few folks" won't be able to tell if the issue was resolved or not.

The Xbox 360 console is infamous for its frequent system failures. Last year, Microsoft was involved in a lawsuit over the so-called "Red Ring of Death," where it was claimed that the software giant had concealed the failure rates of the console to prevent damage to its reputation.

Xbox 360 Update May Cause System Failures - Tom's Guide

I still think Microsoft should stick to PC's and actually do something worthwhile with Windows Live.

SO the lesson here other than stay away from 360, is don't update? I have had mine for 1/12 yrs with no problems, but I don't do xbox live either.

I have had my 360 and it has been fine for me. Occasionally when we put a disc in we get an error stating "please put in a xbox360 disc" or some stupid shit but we turn the xbox off then back on again and it works fine. Never red ring, never any freezing, nothing. Works great and runs constantly between the 3 kids.

We dont use live either, maybe that is the problem?

How can you F' up a purpose built machine that you have all control over??

I'll give MS a break on their OS since they have to take into consideration so many different vendors of hardware and software but a game playing machine?? Come on.

This is what happened when MS decided a game machine should really be a computer. Of course a computer that no one can just swap parts out or can do anything with when problems arise.

In the past, atari, nintendo, sega, etc. make game consoles. They were gaming machines from the get-go and not overly complex to the point of tripping on themselves. MS tried to build the most complex machine for gamers (uh why not just market a pc then?!) and big surprise - nothing but problems and problems from the get-go.

Basically you buy a 360, save the receipt, and expect to send it in every few months.

r

You guys will have to check out the new X-box shell.

The finish on that thing will be awesome. I know the company that injection molds and pretty much assembles the entire thing. Crazy advanced injection molding processes.

Top Bottom