Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

MICROSOFT Security hole, make sure your computers are patched ASAP

Lumberg said:
My install didn't go through for some reason....

If you have a pirated copy of xp and can't install SP1 then you'll have to change your registration number first. MS is blocking commonly pirated numbers.

When you connect for an update you give them a code that they validate against known hacked codes. If yours is a common hack they don't let you proceed.

If this is the RPC vulnerability, then you will also need a firewall blocking ports 135 and 445.

Otherwise, you can patch and still be open to a denial of service.
Even though you aren't being exploited directly post patch, the incoming data on those ports will still freeze a variety of things on your system.

Other options are using a Mac or a *nix box- which I would assume is more expense and hassle than apply patches and buying a $50 firewall/router/switch all in one deal like a Linksys or Netgear solution for home users.

It infected my computer yesterday. Big hassle, but the patch eliminates it promptly.

I speculated the same regarding firewalls, Martha, and my support droid disagreed.

Unfortunately, alot of applications use RPC port 135, so blocking it outright isn;t exactly the easiest thing to do.

For the general user on here, they aren't using RPC.

If you are in a corporate environment, then it is obviously more feasible that you are going to have machines talking to each other that need it.

Still, that only rules out the software firewall on that machine from blocking ports.

You can still put a firewall on the outside connction to block said ports from coming in.

And again, for those that have to get their word in, of course won't work if you are making remote procedure calls, then fine - you might have issues.

But I stand by my statement that the users on here aren't in need of those ports, and are better served by blocking them.

Top Bottom