Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Just a test

blut wump said:
The basic was actually pretty fast for what it was; certainly compared with the Spectrum's basic which gobbled up memory and speed on number storage. For any decent speed, though, assembler was the way to go. Technically, it had a 6510 rather than a 6502 because of the IO ports on locations 0 and 1.

A tedious processor to use, though, having to shuffle everything through the Acc and zero-page.

C is low level enough that I think most people will not need to use assember.
Assembler can be embedded inside C code so If some assembly language is needed then inline assembler can be used.

Device drivers are probably the biggest place assembler is used as the code which talks to hardware should be as fast as possible

In general this is true. Back on the old home micros, though, fitting in a C interpreter was just too expensive an option, with regard to memory, to be viable. Typically one had a total of 64K to play with for code and graphics. The game code typically took around 10K of that and then you start pulling your hair out compressing and optimizing graphics and screen-buffers and tracking stack usage.

I have written games in C/C++ but with the graphics routines written in asm. This has often been a reasonable compromise. Graphics processing is almost always the bugbear in a game. Inline assembler is often an option for small routines but the flexibility of using a dedicated assembler package can offer greater convenience.

As PCs became prevalent and processing power and memory grew, the relevance of the raw speed of asm fell aside to the convenience of a higher-level language for porting purposes and the fact the ever fewer people had any mastery of asm. In the main, too, C/C++ was good enough. Even now, though, on a PS2, for example, much of the raw vertex processing will be written in MIPS assembler while the main game code is in C or C++.

I've also seen games written in Python and Pascal.

I'm doing more Linux stuff now. I've been trying to learn Python but don't have as much free time as I used to.

Top Bottom