Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Joe Calzaghe v Bernard Hopkins

What we have in this bout is two very different fighters. Joe is a lighting fast workhorse who throws a lot of wild slapping punches. Joe can fire off 9 punch combos and averages almost 100 punches a round and he doesn't slow down for 12 rounds.

Hopkins throws very few punches, but makes them count. Hopkins is a defensive wizard and among the cagiest of tacticians in and out of the ring. Hopkins knows how to position himself to the point where he can often blind the ref to questionable and downright dirty tactics like elbows and headbutts. Hopkins has only been on his ass in one fight early in his career. I'm not sure if Joe's hit the deck before.

I wouldn't worry about Joe getting the shaft if it goes to a decision. Hopkins is not a popular fighter. I just watched the weigh in. Joe received a loud ovation. Hopkins received a loud rumble of "booos" interspersed with a few vociferous crowd members chanting, "B'Hop! B'Hop".

Great win from Calzaghe, although a fight nearly spoiled by Hopkins and a very biased referee.

Why is it that Joe Cortez wouldn't let Ricky Hatton hold AT ALL yet he let Hopkins do it all fight and even explicitly stated that he wasn't going to take any points off? The guy should not be allowed to referee again.

Calzaghe was shocked in the first round with that knockdown but after the third round he came back strong and had it not been for all the holding he would have probably put Hopkins on the floor. Hopkins was too tired and had to pretend he'd been hit by low blows to stand a chance. He was outboxed and showed his true colours when he gave no respect to Calzaghe at the end of the fight. White boy beat him.

jd_uk said:
Great win from Calzaghe, although a fight nearly spoiled by Hopkins and a very biased referee.

Why is it that Joe Cortez wouldn't let Ricky Hatton hold AT ALL yet he let Hopkins do it all fight and even explicitly stated that he wasn't going to take any points off? The guy should not be allowed to referee again.

Calzaghe was shocked in the first round with that knockdown but after the third round he came back strong and had it not been for all the holding he would have probably put Hopkins on the floor. Hopkins was too tired and had to pretend he'd been hit by low blows to stand a chance. He was outboxed and showed his true colours when he gave no respect to Calzaghe at the end of the fight. White boy beat him.

I've lost respect for Cortez.

I've lost respect for Hopkins too. I can see how he is bitter though. He has been getting screwed on the cards. I thought the fight was close. Calzaghe landed more but Hopkins was more accurate and hit harder.

I missed the bookie even too. I'd be up quite a bit now.

I drove 25 miles to Buffalo Wild Wings to see it, but the girl who said the fight was on was talking about the UFC fight... What a bummer. I did get my balls fondled on the way home which kind of made of for the disappointment.

RearNaked said:
I'll be busy watching St.Pierre destroy Serra.

hell yes!

lol Hopkins is such an idiot:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7357119.stm

If it werent for a protective referee he would have been floored. Any time Joe caught him with punches he tied up Calzaghe's arms and tried to put the head in and the biased referee allowed it all.

Anyway looks like Calzaghe is looking for one more fight against Roy Jones Junior to finish his career.

Thanks for the interview.

I do agree Hopkins got robbed on the 116-111 scorecard. The other two were accurate.

He is whining a bit too much in that interview.

Last edited:
Top Bottom