Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I know it's tennis and all, but do you guys actually understand we may be watching on

Re: I know it's tennis and all, but do you guys actually understand we may be watching one of the greatest athletes ever?

Tennis was better before the oversized raquets skewed the game too heavily in favor of the big servers.

Serving was already important enough.

Re: I know it's tennis and all, but do you guys actually understand we may be watchin

test boy ii said:
Tennis was better before the oversized raquets skewed the game too heavily in favor of the big servers.

+1

Re: I know it's tennis and all, but do you guys actually understand we may be watchin

KillahBee said:
It will hurt his legacy that there has been NO competition for him. It's almost too easy. Roddick is a joke and always will be. Blake can only run on "comeback kid" fuel for so long. American tennis has been dead for a while now. Not that women really count, but Davenport is done (I think she's having a kid, which is fucking gross).

Who impregnanted Lindsay Davenport? She's one of the fugliest women I have ever seen. I guess being a millionaire makes a difference but yuck.

And yes, I love watching Federer. He makes it look totally easy, never loses his temper in a serious way and just gets the job done.

Re: I know it's tennis and all, but do you guys actually understand we may be watching one of the greatest athletes ever?

test boy ii said:

Yep. I am one of the few people who still use a "normal" size head. I can't play with the oversized, it feels like cheating.

KillahBee said:
Friggin Federer. Dude is OUT OF CONTROL. He is so fucking good people can't actually comprehend what he has been doing to the sport the last couple years. Jesus

*pre-emptive "tennis is not gay" argument: tennis is by far one of the toughest sports in the world. unlike your football, basketball, hockey, baseball, there are no TEAMMATES, NO ROOM FOR ERROR. If you have a bad day, YOU LOSE. Plain and simple. You win and lose ON YOUR OWN. Any REAL athlete here will tell you that the mental part of ANY sport is always the toughest, and a sport like tennis where you are the sole responsible party is always mentally difficult. Hot chicks too.
hot chicks is the only thing that saved your arguement

KillahBee said:
Yep. I am one of the few people who still use a "normal" size head. I can't play with the oversized, it feels like cheating.

??? you guys are confused here. Oversized racquets do not help the speed of serve, in fact, too large slows your serve. The composition of frames ( graphite, kevlar, CF) is what has increased the speed of the game, not the size of the frames. Racquet head speed will increase speed of serve & any pro will tell you that once you get over 100 - 105 sq. in, your speed of serve will decrease. Larger racquets offer a larger sweet spot which favors baseliners more than big servers. Also, look at the game now... where are the serve and volleyers ? IF anything, the serve is less of a weapon in the game now, and the return is more of a weapon than ever. Yes, the game is faster, not because of larger frames, but because of lighter, stronger frame composition.

split endz said:
??? you guys are confused here. Oversized racquets do not help the speed of serve, in fact, too large slows your serve. The composition of frames ( graphite, kevlar, CF) is what has increased the speed of the game, not the size of the frames. Racquet head speed will increase speed of serve & any pro will tell you that once you get over 100 - 105 sq. in, your speed of serve will decrease. Larger racquets offer a larger sweet spot which favors baseliners more than big servers. Also, look at the game now... where are the serve and volleyers ? IF anything, the serve is less of a weapon in the game now, and the return is more of a weapon than ever. Yes, the game is faster, not because of larger frames, but because of lighter, stronger frame composition.

Far from confused, homey. I didn't say anything about the oversized head relating to serves (although it does provide more relative power - fact).

I meant to quote this post, " Tennis was better before the oversized raquets skewed the game too heavily in favor of the big servers.

Serving was already important enough." by testboi

However, you quoted that statement by testboi when you made your statement about oversize feeling like cheating, therefore, it appeared you were concurring with his statement.

btw, larger head same composition = more power... not true. Larger head diameter will only give you a larger sweet spot. It is actually harder to generate racquet head speed with the larger head.

ps. Large head racquets have been around for awhile. Prince was making 110 sq. in racquets in the 70's, also a company called Weed made an even larger (can't remember specs) racquet from the 70's up to today. You will see very few pro's using oversized heads because of the head speed theory. Some women pros use them & some men, but very few. Most use a mid (95-105 sq.in.)

Its all good, glad to see a thread about Federer & tennis in general. I have been playing competitive USTA tennis for over 25 yrs. Love it.

Top Bottom