Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

***Huge Virus Threat Rocks Microsoft, WARNING***

• Thread starter Thread starter BrothaBill
  • Start date Start date
blut wump said:
That depends on your idea of best. I moved away from Windows two or three years ago.

In that description of the vuln., it mentions how to disable the wmf file-association which, while not fixing the problem, prevents its exploitation.

Unfortunately switching to Linux is not an option for me in the short term....

You can try to "unregister" the bit of Windows that exposes you...

Click "Start"
Click "Run"
type in: cmd (enter)
type in: regsvr32.exe /u shimgvw.dll (enter)

No guarantee this will protect you, or will not hose your system. Some reports say the vulnerability is actually deeper, in a more important file (gdi32.dll), which would be bad news indeed.

SoreArms said:
isn't there a non-microsoft, russian fix that is getting credibility?

There are lots of un-official patches around. Dicey to use in the corporate world...

SoreArms said:
isn't there a non-microsoft, russian fix that is getting credibility?

Not sure if the Russian fix is a joke lol, but for those wondering about how to fix it for now and missed my link on the first post, here's the link to the patch that was rushed out til microsoft releases its official patch in a week.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1010

Lestat said:
has anyone gotten nailed by this virus?

Microsoft it is monitoring and that people are trying to use it, hackers published the code this past weekend so Microsoft says people shouldnt visit unfamiliar sites until the official patch is vetted and released on Jan. 10th.
Its a brand new threat so Im sure reports are going to be slow to come in.

But, simply going to a website with a picture on it can infect your computer, its pretty serious. If people dont patch this one, this code gets used more and more people are going to get hit

Top Bottom