Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Feds to unveil plans to guard against nuclear boat attacks

Arabian

Elite Mentor
Platinum
I would have never imagined that those idiots would fly planes into buildings however this latest threat has made me think of other ways they could devastate the US. Discuss some of the ways you think a biological attack could go down. methods and implementation. I for one think they could contaminate the water supply. DISCUSS

Homeland Security Unveils Plans To Thwart Small Boat Terror Attacks
April 28, 2008

As boating season approaches, the Bush administration wants to enlist the country’s 80 million recreational boaters to help reduce the chances a small boat could deliver a nuclear or radiological bomb along the country’s 95,000 miles of coastline and inland waterways.

According to a Wednesday intelligence assessment obtained by the Associated Press: “The use of a small boat as a weapon is likely to remain al-Qaeda’s weapon of choice in the maritime environment, given its ease in arming and deploying, low cost, and record of success.”

While the United States has so far been spared this type of strike in its own waters, terrorists have used small boats to attack in other countries.

The millions of humble dinghies, fishing boats, and smaller cargo ships that ply America’s waterways are not nationally regulated as they buzz around ports, oil tankers, power plants, and other potential terrorist targets.

This could allow terrorists in small boats to carry out an attack similar to the USS Cole bombing, said Adm. Thad Allen, the Coast Guard commandant. That 2000 attack killed 17 U.S. sailors in Yemen when terrorists rammed a dinghy packed with explosives into the destroyer. “There is no intelligence right now that there’s a credible risk” of this type of attack, Allen said. “But the vulnerability is there.”

To reduce the potential for such an attack in the United States, the Department of Homeland Security has developed a strategy intended to increase security by enhancing safety standards. The Coast Guard is part of the department.

Today, officials are to announce the plan, which asks states to develop and enforce safety standards for recreational boaters and asks them to look for and report suspicious behavior on the water - much like a neighborhood watch program. The government will also look to develop technology to help detect dangerous materials and other potential warning signs.

The United States has spent billions of dollars constructing elaborate defenses against the giant cargo ships that could be used by terrorists, including strict regulations for containers and shipping.

Source

The Heritage Foundation ran an in-depth report on this in June of last year.

Globally, terrorists have shown an increasing interest in using small boats to attack military and commercial shipping and maritime facilities. The tactics and techniques of using commercial or non-commercial vessels (under 500 tons) or swimmers to emplace or deliver improvised explosive devices have proven effective and exportable. Contemporary operational practices by transnational terrorist groups include refining proven attack methods, sharing lessons learned, and encouraging others to adopt effective tactics. Thus, the possibility of such attacks in U.S. waters should not be ignored.

The small-boat threat needs to be addressed, but rather than focusing on this particular terrorist tactic, Congress and the Administration should invest in assets that improve the overall security of the maritime domain. The maritime sector is a large and diverse field with unique and daunting threats. Efforts should be expanded to improve U.S. situational awareness and law enforcement response rather than fixating on specific attack scenarios involving small boats or other terrorist threats.

The Small-Boat Threat

The definition of “small-boat threat” encompasses a variety of possible weapon-delivery vehicles, tactics, and payloads. Vessels include everything from large craft such as small freighters, large privately owned yachts, fishing trawlers, and commercial tugs to dinghies, jet-skies, and submarines, including mini-submarines like those used by the Japanese in the attack on Pearl Harbor.

An attack could involve suicide bombers, as in the case of the attack on the USS Cole, or vessels on autopilot or remotely controlled. Improvised explosive devices could be delivered or emplaced by boats or swimmers (assisted or unassisted by breathing devices). This could involve placing a “parasite” on the hull of a craft or deploying tethered (anchored to the sea bottom) or untethered (floating) mines in a sea lane, waterway, or port traffic area.

Besides conventional explosives, the bombers could detonate nuclear, biological, chemical, or radiological devices. Attacks could occur while the targeted ship is docked at shore, approaching a port, sailing in international waters, or in U.S. or Canadian coastal waterways. In addition to ships, attacks could target port facilities; commercial infrastructure (e.g., an entertainment pier, bridge piling, or pipeline); or public events.

Tom Clancey said that for about a few million bucks, and of course access to the materials, one could easily build a nuke in a very short amount of time.

Considering the most populous religion is Islam, and a majority of them do not support Western Ideology, and factor in that 5% of 2 billion of them are fanatics, it is just a matter of time before something like this happens.

Stay away from big cities near the ocean. My bet is NYC gets hit one day.

Army Vet said:
Tom Clancey said that for about a few million bucks, and of course access to the materials, one could easily build a nuke in a very short amount of time.

Considering the most populous religion is Islam, and a majority of them do not support Western Ideology, and factor in that 5% of 2 billion of them are fanatics, it is just a matter of time before something like this happens.

I agree however I think the most logical target will be Wall Street financial center. If they were to bomb it with chemical or any other devasting device it would throw the US and the world financial markets in a frenzy.

Canada has already reacted to the threat.
Canadiannavy1.jpg

Army Vet said:

That's how I won the 5th grade science fair.

I love these threats. Somewhere, someplace, some defense company is receiving millions to design a protection system, hardware and software.

I made a GOD AWFUL amount of money, from developing stupid useless ineffective software/hardware systems for DHS to monitor nuclear/radioactive payloads on the nation's railroads.

I knew from the get-go it was just a bullshit project to make the parent defense company tens of millions of dollars - and please soccer mom and dads at home. The software did nothing but print reports that no one would read anyways.

r

Razorguns said:
I love these threats. Somewhere, someplace, some defense company is receiving millions to design a protection system, hardware and software.

I made a GOD AWFUL amount of money, from developing stupid useless ineffective software/hardware systems for DHS to monitor nuclear/radioactive payloads on the nation's railroads.

I knew from the get-go it was just a bullshit project to make the parent defense company tens of millions of dollars - and please soccer mom and dads at home. The software did nothing but print reports that no one would read anyways.

r

Let me guess the company Halliburton...

I say we just stop all defense spending. Fuck it, 9/11 didn't really happen it was CGI. The bombings in Beruit Lebanon way back in the 1980's were a set up too. Islamic fundamentalists just need a goddamn hug! We should just invite then to the View so they can rub crotches with Whoopi Goldberg and sing Sesame Street songs. With all the money we save we can spend it on health care for the obese and drug addicts and funnel more money into the inner cities - which has done a lot of good over the past 50 years.

I'm going to go out and just give my next paycheck to the drug dealers down the street. I am sure they need health care too. They only sell drugs because I have been repressing them with my evil American views. Fuck me.

Top Bottom