Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can you help me out im a basketball player

Makeveli

Hi guys im pretty new to training but i do know most exercises,

Heres stats on myself
Height:6' 6.5"
Weight:213 lbs
Sport:Basketball 4or5
Max Squat:185 lbs
Max Deadlift:190 lbs
Vert:22-24 inches I can dunk, but not like i should be able too

My skills are being worked on, im sorta new to the sport been playing for 2.5 years, My biggest weaknesses are my overall atheletism sucks, and im not really coordinated. Also my endurance is garbage im usually gone after 2 minutes in the courts, and my girlfriend keeps saying im a minute man :). I want to come next season 6 months away and just take over, i will be a junior in hs next season, i want a change to go d1 and maybe to the Nba.

What do you guys reccomend for me?

Thanks

P.S im from Mass,Us

Run hills to improve your endurance. You can spend 5 minutes a day to improve your vertical. Use a regulation height basketball rim and stand right underneath it. Jump up and touch it with your right hand 10 times in a row. Take a quick breather and repeat with your left hand. Take another quick breather and repeat but touch with both hands.

Do that everyday and your leap will improve......

If you really want to go to the NBA, you'll have to work your ass off. Practice, practice, practice! Try to get involed in a summer league, if there are any in your area.

so you wanna be a baller huh?

drive a bike everywhere you go, it will stregthen your legs which is the most importnat body part for you right now
shot comes from your legs and not your hands, unless you wanna shoot it like a brick everytime.

than comes you're back and abs. Followed by chest and upper body stregth.

do at least 2 hours of training a day, that may include footwork workouts, some work out on the track and the most important part... you need to work on your game, get a shooting drill and do it everyday, dribbling, post moves, hook shots, free throws and everything else. Repetition is vital here, any D1 coach will tell you the same. On top of that find a lifting routine that you can do 3 times a week, I recomend this one here
http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=viewarticle&articleID=24

it trully works, builds your core muscles pretty well and gives you that explosivness too if you do it right. It helped me a lot I can tell you that much.

play as much pick up games as you can, few times against guys you can just dominate and the other times with a tough competition, you should have some open gyms in jr colleges over there and coaches will be most likely glad to check you out and give you advice.

and you might wanna start playing a small forward if you want to make it to D1. Trust me on this one, you will get all the attention you need. at least have the skills to play the small forward if the coach will only let yyou play the center

Your squat numbers are very weak, that's the first thing I noticed. I'm a little taller and have a skinny build, so I understand it's hard for guys like us to put up decent numbers on squats, but still you have to get those numbers up. I added 6-8 inches to my vert. just from weightlifting alone, no plyometrics or anything. That's despite being 30 lbs heavier and having a bit of a gut now (I'm bulking) compared to being very lean before. Excersizes like squats will also greatly improve things like balance and stabalizer muscles which will help your game out tremendously. Get a good foundation with leg strength, and then work on plyometrics and agility drills.

For building leg strength I recommend:

squats (full ass to the grass squats, squats to parallel, front squats, overhead squats)
one legged squats (these are GREAT for balance, you can put your other leg on a bench and hold DBs in your hands).
stiff legged deadlifts (for the hams)
standing calf raises
seated calf raises

Reps 6-8 range.

Watch every NBA game you can, study the players, study everything they do. Watch their defensive footwork (Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen, Doug Christie), watch their shot release, study their decision making, study their timing on shot blocking (Ben Wallace, Theo Ratliff), study rebounding positioning (Ben Wallace) study their movement without the ball (Richard Hamilton), study their post moves (Jermaine O'Neil, Rasheed Wallace, Tim Duncan, Garnett), etc...you get the idea. Don't just watch the games for entertainment value, try to learn as much as you can. These are the best players in the world.

Like someone else said with your size you might be better off as a SF in D1, unless you grow a little and can bulk up significantly and play PF (depends on what school). If you're gonna be a SF you need to work on shooting, increasing your agility, speed, and footwork (to guard quick players and take people off the dribble/penetrate), ballhandling, and decision making. But right now at your age and everything try to learn every possible skill you can. Know the game like the back of your hand, don't train for just one position. Work on everything...even PGs like Gary Payton and Chauncy Billup post people up, and forwards like Garnett act as PG. In pickup games with lesser competition try bringing the ball up the court, playing a little point, learning how to run a team and pass, etc, it will give you a different perspective on the game as opposed to the front court perspective.

And as far as your game goes BE AGGRESSIVE. This is an absolute must in basketball. People who aren't aggressive and don't play with passion and heart will not make it at any kind of high level. Respect your opponent but NEVER get intimidated by him. Basketball is a very mental sport, it's sort of freestyle, less organized, and more chaotic compared to sports like football or baseball. Keep that in mind.

And listen to a lot of 2pac. ;) And take creatine. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom