Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Baseball Player Haters....Have you seen this?

rudedawg

http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/20239.htm

"BASEBALL cooks its books to hide profits and exaggerate losses. The charge is nothing new. Baseball players, agents, and union officials have maintained as much for years. And with each such charge, Commissioner Bud Selig squints, cocks his head to the side, cups his ear, asks for the question to be repeated, and launches into his pat answer, one completely backed by the Old Boy Network of owners.

Doubleday maintains the commissioner was "in cahoots" with Wilpon and Arthur Andersen accountant Robert Starkey to "manufacture phantom operating losses" in baseball's books.

Doubleday's lawyers charged: "In short, MLB - in a desperate attempt to reverse decades of losses to MLB's Players' Association - determined to manufacture phantom operating losses and depress franchise values."

Starkey valued the Mets at $391 million, far less than the Red Sox sold for in a smaller market.

Why would Selig want the Mets undervalued, besides wanting to cozy up to Wilpon and assuring his support on all labor matters? The lower the value of franchises, the more merit there is to his argument that salaries must be suppressed.

And so it seems that baseball's labor strife is headed down a familiar path: The players get blasted from nearly every bar stool in America, stand their ground, and eventually the owners make a gross legal misstep and the players win.

I swear.. They are the biggest bunch of Little League boys I have ever seen...

It's like they never grew up. Having fits and tantrums.
Throwing their hats and bats and arguing every call more than any other sport IMO..

Did this suprise you? I hope not.

Look, these teams are simply business for the owners (fun business, but still business). They are in it to make money. If the team is privately owned, then the profits are no one's business execpt for maybe the IRS.

Now, do you think it's right that just because an owner makes a little money for his Mulit-Hundred Milion dollar investment,.... that he should give up that profit so that a player can make 150-Milion instead of just the measely 100-milion he made last contract?

If it's me running the business..... then I'm for sure going to want VERY good returns on my investments and if the EMPLOYEES start demanding too much of my profits (to make it less attractive of an investment), then I'm for sure going to fight it.

I read that too.

The thing is, the owners are generally billionaires who are wealthy with, or without, the team.

Owners can live with a strike. If baseball went away, the owners would still be rich. Not so, the players. And so owners have more leverage.

Matt,

Do you realize how EXPENSIVE it is to be a billionaire? Probably not, because so few do.

First it takes outstanding investing to get to that level...... but then they need to maintain. Do you really think that it makes sense to keep $1 billion dollars in the bank?.... I bet you are going to say "yeah, just live off the interest"...... you have no clue.

They must make very good investments or they will soon be without their money, via taxes, kids, expenses.... whatever..... that's why so many LOTTO winners... lose all their money, because they don't know how to invest wisely enough to keep it.

Your comment seems like the typical liberal brainwashing..... The rich don't need money.... give it to the poor and everyone will be happy. :rolleyes:

GinNJuice said:
Matt,

Do you realize how EXPENSIVE it is to be a billionaire? Probably not, because so few do.

First it takes outstanding investing to get to that level...... but then they need to maintain. Do you really think that it makes sense to keep $1 billion dollars in the bank?.... I bet you are going to say "yeah, just live off the interest"...... you have no clue.

They must make very good investments or they will soon be without their money, via taxes, kids, expenses.... whatever..... that's why so many LOTTO winners... lose all their money, because they don't know how to invest wisely enough to keep it.

Your comment seems like the typical liberal brainwashing..... The rich don't need money.... give it to the poor and everyone will be happy. :rolleyes:

Most people of any economic status *never* deal directly with their money and thus have no idea what (if any) effrot is involved.

casavant said:

LOL. I've never interested myself. If I had only two choices- watch baseball, golf, or paint dry, it would be a hard decision.

I loathe baseball. I'm even into stats and math, but baseball is so drawn out and so little action ever takes place over the 3 hours of play.

Top Bottom