Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Barry Bonds Exposed!!!

Dial_tone said:
Baseball testing:
A first positive test for steroid use would result in treatment, a second in a 15-day suspension or a fine of up to $10,000.
The punishment would increase to a 25-day suspension or fine of up to $25,000 for a third positive test, a 50-day suspension or fine of up to $50,000 for a fourth, and a one-year suspension or fine of up to $100,000 for a fifth.

Olympic sport testing:
an athlete faces a minimum two-year ban for a first steroid positive and a lifetime ban for a second.

Ok, so how would you address this? From what I read in Collins book, over 90% of the guys getting busted for steroids are not athletes or competitive body builders. They were guys in their mid 30s to late 40s just trying to look better etc. As men hit their 30s, the testosterone in their system is decreasing, whereas the young guys have an abundace. Where is the levelness in that?

These kinds of fines and such are just arbitrary fodder. What is it actually accomplishing?

So what if he used steroids. Let's just turn back the clock and make all MLB players compete without weight training, supplements, physical therapy, batting gloves, pine tar, and wrist wraps. Barry Bonds was/is one of the greastest hitters in the history of the game BEFORE steroids. So now he hits more HR's, well that's why I stop whatever I am doing when he's up and watch him. Like all it takes to be Barry Bonds is steriods. I want to see just one of these media jerks dig in on a full count against Randy Johnson, Josh Beckett or Kerry Wood.

strongsmartsexy said:
Ok, so how would you address this? From what I read in Collins book, over 90% of the guys getting busted for steroids are not athletes or competitive body builders. They were guys in their mid 30s to late 40s just trying to look better etc.

Well, of all the people taking steroids what % are pro athletes or competitive body builders? Probably few...look at EF.

As men hit their 30s, the testosterone in their system is decreasing, whereas the young guys have an abundace. Where is the levelness in that?

Unless you're suggesting we have an NFL for players over 35 I'm not sure where you're going with this one?

These kinds of fines and such are just arbitrary fodder. What is it actually accomplishing?

Not a damn thing. They amount to a day's pay at most for some of these guys.

Dial_tone said:
Well, of all the people taking steroids what % are pro athletes or competitive body builders? Probably few...look at EF.

:) Yet the steroid control act was directed at athletes if I am remembering correctly.

Dial_tone said:
Unless you're suggesting we have an NFL for players over 35 I'm not sure where you're going with this one?

That the drop in testosterone isn't a level playing field. Whether they're in baseball, football,socker, hockey...

Sports is not about being fair...never has been and never will be. Every weekend those who can't pay big bucks to sit in stadiums watching those who can. Why is it fair that Bo Jackson was born with his size & speed but I wasn't? How come Michael Jordan gets to be 6'9" with his vertical? That's not fair. I was Barry Sanders' size in college. Why didn't I get his quickness? Sure, all those guys worked hard for many years to wind up where they did. However I could have grown up right next door to any of them, done the exact same things those guys did every single day and still not have achieved a fraction of what they did. Maybe I'm justified in thinking that my taking steroids is really just my way of leveling the playing field?

For me it's more about health than fairness. I stopped competing not because I thought steroids were bad, but because I didn't want to kill myself for a hunk of tin and bragging rights.

I absolutely agree with you. Which is why I call bullshit on the level playing field argument. But it is an interesting perspective in any case.

strongsmartsexy said:
Ok, so exactly WHY is it bad for athletes to use performance enhancing substances?

i think it has to be along the lines of:

kids look up to these sports stars... if all of them are juicing or doing other unscrupulous activities, it makes breaking laws and doing these things look ok when in reality it is not... i know i dont want my kids growing up thinking they MUST shoot-up in order to have a chance at being a star someday... isnt hard work and dedication a more respectable thing to do while striving for success?

ProtienFiend said:
i think it has to be along the lines of:

kids look up to these sports stars... if all of them are juicing or doing other unscrupulous activities, it makes breaking laws and doing these things look ok when in reality it is not... i know i dont want my kids growing up thinking they MUST shoot-up in order to have a chance at being a star someday... isnt hard work and dedication a more respectable thing to do while striving for success?

I had 5 teenaged boys in the house at one time. Most of my concern came from the (c)Rap videos and music. Nasty lyrics those are. The three that were in sports never even thought of doing steroids.

I think that argument for a potential causal link is highly contrived.

I laugh when I hear people use the argument that performance enhancing drug use isn't safe. When an athlete decides to get into competitive sports(college and above) they are choosing to place their health second to performance. For example, Just the other day Jason Kidd injured his knee, had an MRI done that didn't reveal any structural damage, so he played the next night; or Saturday Antonio Burkes(University of Memphis) pulled an abdominal in the first half , and got it shot up during half-time. Sports in general are healthy activities , but competitive sports are not. This HAS to be taught to kids so they can draw a distinction between what they do and what Michael Jordan, or Barry Bonds does. This is where the government(if Bush wants to run all sports from the White House), the media, and parents have failed.

Top Bottom