Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you compete

Do you compete?

• Total voters
dont get in shape then start training.. just start training.. you will get in shape much faster and you will be way ahead of the game in the long run .. at the beginning your going to be going over basics and a good instructor will pace you right.

I was given the same advice from a friend/ Kung Fu instructor, but I just can't bring myself to do it yet. I think I've been mentally conditioned to avoid situations I'm not well prepared for; in the boxing gyms I've trained in, if you are not at your absolute best, you get targeted. Coaches/Trainers treat you like shit, as if you're not serious. And don't spar, because opponents will fall over themselves trying to hurt you if they see you're out of shape (I know it's the object of the sport, but I mean going to the extreme: elbows,etc. It's seen as disrespectful to go against a guy, even sparring, if you aren't up to it).
However, I have noticed a little different level of respect and honor in the MA community, I have to admit.
Still, I would feel more confident if I got back in shape.
Thanks, Tom, I'm taking your advice into consideration.

IMO any good MA school will not treat a newbie like that so long as they are serious while on the mat regardless of there physical capabilities

in the last few months we have had several people who joined while out of shape and let me tell you watching there body transform earns everyones respect. its shows there dedicated and giving it there all. also watching how they progress in the endurance type drills and when sparring as well...

just join up it will gaurantee your diet and training will work.. you can even cheat a bit and loose lots of weight

its is not uncommon for adults in my classes (2x a week) to loose 20lbs in a month or so some loose less and some even more depending on certain aspects and it is very motivating for the whole club. these new students are the ones who motivated me to drop another weight class and try to do something difficult and challenging again.

Snypr said:
I was given the same advice from a friend/ Kung Fu instructor, but I just can't bring myself to do it yet. I think I've been mentally conditioned to avoid situations I'm not well prepared for; in the boxing gyms I've trained in, if you are not at your absolute best, you get targeted. Coaches/Trainers treat you like shit, as if you're not serious. And don't spar, because opponents will fall over themselves trying to hurt you if they see you're out of shape (I know it's the object of the sport, but I mean going to the extreme: elbows,etc. It's seen as disrespectful to go against a guy, even sparring, if you aren't up to it).
However, I have noticed a little different level of respect and honor in the MA community, I have to admit.
Still, I would feel more confident if I got back in shape.
Thanks, Tom, I'm taking your advice into consideration.

sometime I should go to your old boxing gyms
my trainers just call me fat (then again I am fat, and they are my friends, and they teach for free) so I guess they arn't the usual instructors

Snypr-valid point on the boxing gym mentality. MMA schools are much better with new students. Explaiing to the teacher what you want to get out of it and they usuallu do their best to comply.

WHen I swicth boxing gyms and went to one that was inner city I learned I had to bustr my ass twice as hard in the beginning. I think I might have been 1 out of three guys who wasn't black or spaninsh, so naturally I was sparring 3-4times a week against multiple opponents. After a month of so getting my ass kicked and holding my own sometimes they started to ease up and then I learned a lot...

Lord_Suston said:
Snypr-valid point on the boxing gym mentality. MMA schools are much better with new students. Explaiing to the teacher what you want to get out of it and they usuallu do their best to comply.

WHen I swicth boxing gyms and went to one that was inner city I learned I had to bustr my ass twice as hard in the beginning. I think I might have been 1 out of three guys who wasn't black or spaninsh, so naturally I was sparring 3-4times a week against multiple opponents. After a month of so getting my ass kicked and holding my own sometimes they started to ease up and then I learned a lot...
Way to hang in there.

I competed in full contact karate (kyokushin) karate for 7 years, did some fighting and sparring in japan.

just training aikido now and weights.

competing is great - everyone who is able to should do it, it puts a whole new angle on your training and your focus

Yarg! said:
i hope to make abu dahbi grappling championships- the mortal kombat of grappling, under the gracie barra banner in the next 4 yrs or so. if i can place in the top 3 there for my belt division/weight class, i will be very, very happy. maybe even pride one day... pride i consider being the highest honor a fighter can acheive.
How would someone enter Abu Dahbi? Are you selected? Do you have to meet certain conditions to enter?

I voted NO.
As I dont, but I did. Kempo tournaments when I was in my teens, and Muay Thai when in mid twenties.

My body is wrecked now, from car crashes, close combat & illicit substance use, and I feel like im 50, not 33. still have the reflexes and strength but cannot compete against those with endurance in the ring. street side its different, but we all know that.

thumbs up to those able to go to the ring and sustain it.

danbo said:
How would someone enter Abu Dahbi? Are you selected? Do you have to meet certain conditions to enter?

for abu dahbi you have to compete in regional type qualifiers or get a special invite.

big names or special competitors get the invites

i def would love to compete in that one day.. but i would need practice with there point system

a judo guy had some crazy big throws this year

also there format for placing is kinda strange.. a tournament like that should have a full repecharge system IMO

Top Bottom