Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I have reached a plateau.

Williamaka1

I have been working out for about a year. I am currently benching 310 lbs max and working out with 240 lbs. My workout routine goes like this. I work out my chest, arms (biceps / triceps) 2 days and my legs 3rd day. I do 8 sets of benching, curls, triceps pull, etc. until I can do 10 reps in all 8 sets then I increase the weight by 20 lbs. I was increasing my weight by 20 lbs about every 2 weeks until I got to 240 lbs on my benching. I can do around 8 reps per set but I haven't been able to get the 10 reps per set to increase my weight. I am sure I will eventually but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

William Tefft
Bowling Green, Ohio:dance2:

Can you break your routine down day by day like day 1: blah blah day 2: blah blah so it is easier to comprehend. Looking at it right now looks like your workouts need some fixing. How is your diet?

More specific information brosky. Like they said.

I have been working out for about a year. I am currently benching 310 lbs max and working out with 240 lbs. My workout routine goes like this. I work out my chest, arms (biceps / triceps) 2 days and my legs 3rd day. I do 8 sets of benching, curls, triceps pull, etc. until I can do 10 reps in all 8 sets then I increase the weight by 20 lbs. I was increasing my weight by 20 lbs about every 2 weeks until I got to 240 lbs on my benching. I can do around 8 reps per set but I haven't been able to get the 10 reps per set to increase my weight. I am sure I will eventually but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

William Tefft
Bowling Green, Ohio:dance2:

So your routine, from what I can discern, is:

Day 1

Bench 8 x 10
Curls 8 x 10
Tricep Pulldowns 8 x 10

Day 2

Legs

Day 3

Repeat Day 1

The fact that you pointed out curls and bench whilst leaving day 2 to an ambiguous "legs" says a lot. Any back work? Squatting at all, and if so free weight to at least parallel? Any deadlifts of any sort? A lot of us around here squat two or three days a week and deadlift at least one as that is the foundation of everything. Also, without seriously hitting your lats, you are going to hurt your prospective bench in the long run.

Hello all,

Ok, let me break it down as requested. Remember this, I am not a hard core all into it die hard work out man like I am sure a lot of you are. I respect the fact that many of you take working out as seriously as you do. I am a novice and I will most likely continue to be one. I definitely want to get stronger and in better shape and this is why I am asking for some suggestions on how to do so. When it comes to working out my lats, dead lifts, etc. mentioned by some of the members who replied to my post I will admit I do not. I would like some suggestions and advice! Like I said I work out as a newbie. Here is how my work out goes and if you can give me some advice on how to improve my routine that would be great. I currently work out 2 days on for about an hour and a half. I do 8 sets of the most amount of weight I can bench until I can get all 8 sets at 10 reps. When I can do all 8 sets at 10 reps I have been increasing the weight by 20 lbs. I then do my curls in the same manner, 8 sets until I get all 8 sets 10 reps then increase by 20lbs. I then do my tricep pulls 8 sets until I get all 8 sets 10 reps then I increase by 20 lbs. I am currently curling 120 lbs and my tricep pull is roughly around 100 lbs. I have a home built tricep pull machine I built using a 5 gallon bucket I filled half with concrete, let it set and add 10 lb weights so this is a rough guess. Then on the third day I work out my legs on my leg press part of my weight bench and this is my routine for the past year. I know all of you know much more than I do in this area and I would love any advice on how to improve my routine. My curling strength and tricep strength goes up all the time. It just seems that ever since I have reached the 240 lb mark of 8 sets, I can not get past the 10 reps to increase by 20lbs. As bblazer, Big_BK, http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/members/big_bk.htmldabuffguy and trauck1506 requested I am 5' 10" tall, weigh 220 lbs, 36 " waist and in pretty good shape. I eat pretty well but not on any sort of routine. I eat steak, and lots of vegetables not because of the benefits only because I love vegetables, rice, potatoes etc. Lots of orange juice, fair amount of coffee and I am a non smoker and occasional drinker. Now that I have broken down pretty much all that I can any advice on a realistic workout routine for a serious plan of action with the understanding that I am only going to commit myself to roughly an hour and a half a day to a routine would be greatly appreciated. Like I said before, I know many of you on this forum have tons more experience than I and that is why I am hoping to get some sound advice!!

Thank you for your time and I look forward to learning a few things from any of you who are willing to throw me a bone.

William

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/members/dabuffguy.html

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/members/trauck1506.html

You desperately need some back work. Everything you are doing aside from the bicep stuff is for a push motion, and you are completely ignoring your back. You need to work on it not because we are trying to get you into "hardcore" weightlifting, but because you are literally developing only half of your body. Barbell or dumbbell rows at the very least need to be added somewhere.

The other problem I see it that you have only one serious lift in your whole routine, bench press. While arguably the best test of pure push strength there is, out of all the big lifts, bench is probably the least useful for building everyday strength as you rarely push anything at 90 degrees with only your chest. Adding any kind of shoulder press would be of great help to. Out of the four exercises you mentioned, two are for arms. A lot of us around here don't work arms at all because compound lifts hit them so well. Rows and chins work the biceps as well, and everything with a push is hitting your tris. This isn't to say that there is no room for arm work, just that 50 percent of your lifts shouldn't be for arms. For instance, if you were going to do only one tricep exercise, why not do dips? They not only give your tris a pounding, but they hit your lower pecs as well. If you want to build over all strength, deadlifts, squats, and overhead press are your bread and butter, even if you are a novice. Keep in mind that we don't all swear by these lifts just because we aren't novices; we swear by them because they are the quickest way to get results, period. We try to get those just starting to learn them because most of us wish wasted our time with inefficient splits in the beginning ourselves and wish we would have just started early on training these lifts.

William think about this, what do you think your triceps will respond best to? a tricep pressdown of probably less than 100lbs or a 240lb benchpress in which your triceps are under tension throughout the all reps? Obviously the benchpress. This is called a compound exercise as it works more than one muscle group and you move more than one joint at the same time. The tricep pressdown you only move your elbows and so you are limited to the amount of weight you can move. An even better example would be the dip in which you lift your whole bodyweight and the triceps are heavily involved, you obviously weigh alot more than 100lbs and so this makes the dip a much better option to build your triceps than your pressdowns. The same applies for your biceps, doing chinups in which you move your whole bodyweight will heavily involve your biceps especially if you use an underhand grip. I did alot of underhand chinups when I first started lifting and they made my biceps blow up like balloons.

I would suggest you join a gym and take a notepad with you, write down everything you do and how you liked them and things like that. That way you can look back and see what you enjoy and what seems to work for you.
Especially as a novice you could make a good weekly routine out of the following:

Legs - Back Squats, Romanian Deadlift
Back - Deadlifts, barbell rows, chin-ups
Chest - Flat Benchpress, Dips
Shoulders - Standing Military Press
Biceps - these are worked in the barbell rows and chin-ups
Triceps - these are worked strongly in the dips and also in the bench and shoulder presses.

Now if you look at those exercises, all of them are compound exercises like mensioned above, for example the standing military press, you move your shoulder joint and your elbow joint, this means you can lift alot more weight and the potential for growth is much bigger.

Now take a look at a weight lifting program for beginners called the "Madcow 5x5", if you havnt heard of it here is an easy site in which you can make your own 5x5 routine - 5x5 Calculator

Look at the lifts in that routine, squats, flat barbell benchpress, barbell rows, military press, deadlifts, dips, barbell curls, tricep extensions, situps and hypers. Just about all of these are compound lits.

Where it says "assistance" these are exercises in which you do at the end if you have enough energy left, but make sure you put everything into the main lifts as these will be the ones that will build you muscle and strength.

I would suggest you took away the situps on wednesday and replaced them with a couple of sets of romanian deadlifts, 2 sets 8 reps, then 2 or 3 sets of chinups, either wide overhand grip to hit your back or a shoulder width underhand grip, 2 sets 6-8 reps. These romanian deadlifts will help you get stronger on your squats and your deadlifts, two very important lifts whilst the chinups will help you get stronger on rows and benchpress. I would also suggest on Fridays instead of doing tricep extensions, you did flat benchpress again but with a close width grip, about shoulder width is good and this will heavily work the triceps and help you add more weight to your benchpress and military press, again two very important lifts.

So in all I would take a few days off to recover, join a gym and spend a session doing some warmups then a max effort set of squats, benchpress, rows then go again either the next day or a few days after and try some warmups and max effort sets of standing military press and deadlifts. Write all of your max effort sets down and then enter them into the website mensioned above (5x5 Calculator) This will give you the weights to use for the next 12 weeks of your 5x5 routine and you should be good to go! Just take a few days off before starting the 5x5 routine and make sure to start eating as much as you can, especially quality meat and complex carbohydrates, some cottage cheese before bed wouldn't go a miss either.

I think thats everything?

Instead of 8x10 do 5x8 once you manage 5x8 with a weight increase by 10lbs not 20lbs. Obviously you wanna keep doing your thing, even though I wouldn't advise you to keep doing it permanently, if what you want it's that, 5x8 with 10lbs increments will suffice.

Top Bottom