Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Whats the best for weapon training?

• Thread starter Thread starter Counterstrike
  • Start date Start date
C

Counterstrike

martial arts which is best for weapon training of all kind

kung fu has a LOT of weapons in it but u have to learn the unarmed aspect of it first (time consuming)

same goes for karate

imm sure there are some arts out there that deal exclusivly with many types of weapions.....just not sure of any that deal with justthe weapons. there are lots of styles with say just sticks, stiicks and knives (kali, ecrisma etc), some with just big staffs, swords (kendo)....

also if you dont find someone who deals exclusivly with weapons u might find it hard to get an opportunity to spar IMHO. which is the best part :p

i do kali......its great fun and u can apply someof the prnciples to short swords as well, and some of the joint locking to unarmed/empty hands if ur style has none

I did many different weapons...

Bo Staff
Kama
Tonfa
Sai
Sword

Bo was my favorite by far...

B True

Yeah, if I wasn't so poor I'd join a class. I wanna actually go for shoot fighting. I think martial arts is definately fun, but too situational. I mean, I don't need to learn it for self defense. I can already kick swiftly, with good power, and got some techniques of my own down. I'd join for the fun.

But the Bo is my favorite as well. I have a homemade one from a 6' stalk of bamboo, decorated with this black tape in a spiral pattern around it. It's pretty sick lookin'. Bamboo is really lightweight and hard too. And I can always get another stalk from my girlfriend's backyard. ;)

Bo is probably the most common thing you'd get to use in a real lift fight. A broomstick, thick branch or whatever. Unless you happen to be standing outside a medieval fair. In that case -- en garde!

My best weapons experience came from my Muay Thai instructor. I was very lucky to have the opportunity to learn from him. He was also a body guard for years. He worked for many very important people in countries that were less than safe. Very high speed jobs. He's applied his knowledge numerous times under many conditions. He could disarm pretty much anything from you. Pretty cool.

I learned stick fighting from Kali. But I learned the most after class when a handful of us would gather with our two instructors and practice 'real' stick fighting.

I learned a lot of knife fighting from a phillipino guy I trained in submissions.

Anyway, Kali/Arnis/Escrima is a good place to start because many dojos will begin your training with weapons. The philosophy being that the weapon is an extension of your own body. Since you begin your training with this high speed movement of sticks and the threat of blades, you learn to fight in a very high speed environment. Then you train with empty hands and its like evertyhing is moving in slow motion. Its like being a racecar driver for a while, then getting back on the street where the speed limit is 1/5 that which you're used to. Avoiding an accident, or manuvering around problems or situations seems like absolutely nothing. Hmmm, kinda off topic sorry:)

Like Danielson said, your opportunities to truly learn practical weapons combat are going to be slim because you can't really spar with blades or full contact sticks. There are people out there that do train in full contact stick fighting, in which much of true Kali goes right out the window. There is a void created when you train with weapons(the void of actual impact). This void is typically filled by dance moves, or useless attacks on the weapons themselves. Finding someone willing to teach true weapons tactics may be hard, but well worth it.

what weapons and for what purpose ? For self-defence, just get a ASP baton/PR-24 class. 16 hours and that's it. You know the basic.

Top Bottom