Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

War Dogs the Forgotten Heroes

javaguru

Banned
Here is a link that may be interest to my fellow dog lovers. It details the history of WWII war dogs. For those with real interest the entire page has a number of interesting links.

http://www.qmfound.com/K-9.htm

Occasionally, the Discovery Channel broadcasts the "War Dog" documentary about their service in Vietnam. Unlike WWII where the dogs were discharged with honor to loving homes the Vietnam War Dogs were left behind and forgotten when US forces withdrew.

JavaGuru said:
Unlike WWII where the dogs were discharged with honor to loving homes the Vietnam War Dogs were left behind and forgotten when US forces withdrew.

WTF!!

Assholes!

"Chips"

Probably the most famous War Dog was Chips. Chips was donated by Edward J. Wren of Pleasantville, New York, was trained at Front Royal , Virginia in 1942, and was among the first dogs to be shipped overseas. He was assigned to the 3d Infantry Division and served with that unit in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France and Germany. His assignments included sentry duty at the Roosevelt-Churchill conference in Casablanca in January 1943. Although trained as a sentry dog, Chips was reported on one occasion by members of Company I, 30th Infantry Regiment, to have broken away from his handler and attacked a pillbox containing an enemy machine gun crew in Sicily. He seized one man and forced the entire crew to surrender. He was also credited by the units to which he was assigned as having been directly responsible for capture of numerous enemy by alerting to their presence. In recognition of his service Chips was awarded the Silver Star and the Purple Heart, both were later revoked. In 1993 Disney produced a TV move about Chips called "Chips the War Dog".

Returning to Civilian Life

At the end of the war the Quartermaster Corps put into operation a plan for return of war dogs to their civilian owners. Dogs were sent to a reprocessing section for the purpose of rehabilitation for civilian life. Dogs were trained that every human was friendly and tested for such things as reaction to people riding around them on bicycles or placed in an area with a great amount of noise. Before return, each dog was given a final check by a veterinary officer. Shipment of the dog to the owner was made at government expense. Those dogs which the original owner did not desire were sold to the public by the Treasury Department with the assistance of Dogs for Defense. By early 1947 the return of all borrowed dogs was completed.

http://germanshepherds.com/articles/wardogdocumentary/

The year is 1969, and America is at war in Vietnam. Near Danang, a soldier and his "war dog," a German Shepherd named Bruiser, silently creep forward searching for any sign that the enemy is near. Bruiser suddenly stops dead in his tracks, his nose up and ears twitching — signaling that the enemy was near. His handler makes the pivotal decision to fire and seconds later, enemy bullets and grenades rain violently down on the soldiers.

Bruiser’s handler, John Flannelly, is gravely wounded — most of his left side now a gaping wound. Ignoring John's order to leave him on the battlefield, Bruiser drags John to safety while taking two rounds in the process. Other brave soldiers die that day, yet with Bruisers advance warning, many survive including John, who was later reunited with Bruiser in a field hospital.

Reflecting on the profound bond that existed between he and Bruiser during the war, John Flannel said, "Bruiser saved not only my life, but the lives of the other Marines I was working with. I never would have made it without him. I will never be able to thank him enough. I owe my life to that dog."

Bruiser was among more than 4,000 dogs recruited to serve and protect U.S. troops in Vietnam, preventing 10,000-plus American casualties in the process. Yet, only a few of these dogs returned to America at the close of the war. Since these canine heroes were classified by the military as equipment, they were declared "surplus armaments" and either unceremoniously euthanised or left to unknown fates in Vietnam

Top Bottom