Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ultimate Fight Night Live on Spike...TONIGHT!

I'm not too happy with seeing a match between Royce Gracie and Hughes; a guy like Gracie is a pure legend, but the skill level has moved WAY beyond where he was at. Matt will obviously dominate him, and in the end, no one will really win.

Although Mat Hughes is definately not my favorite fighter, I agree that he will easily beat Royce, but not because his skills are that much greater. I think Hughes will win because he will be able to power through most anything Gracie throws at him, unless he gets caught in a good choke, or a VERY solid arm bar.

Hughes skill set consists of mediocre boxing and good wrestling/takedowns (mostly because of his power) and some ground and pound, but only with an assist from the octagon cage. He falls into chokes and armbars occasionally, but only because people give them to him (ie GSP in their first fight, Trigg in their secong bout) His Jiujitsu/grappling skills really aren't that great compared to other top tier fighters. 60% of his game is his freakish strength. I think whoever wins the Penn/Saint Pierre fight will eat him for breakfast.

Can't wait for a GSP vs. Hughes rematch - I think the outcome may be very different this time.

The Hughes vs. Gracie fight is a great business move for Zuffa and will further help draw crowds to the fights and more popularity to the sport. I agree that Hughes will dominate unless he gets sloppy but this one will ring the registers for Zuffa $$$$$$$

Other fights I would like to see:

Griffin vs Bonnar II
Burkman vs Sanchez

UFC needs to cultivate some decent heavyweights because right now Arlovski is unstoppable - Silvia will get beated silly.

GA_Judoka said:
Although Mat Hughes is definately not my favorite fighter, I agree that he will easily beat Royce, but not because his skills are that much greater. I think Hughes will win because he will be able to power through most anything Gracie throws at him, unless he gets caught in a good choke, or a VERY solid arm bar.

Hughes skill set consists of mediocre boxing and good wrestling/takedowns (mostly because of his power) and some ground and pound, but only with an assist from the octagon cage. He falls into chokes and armbars occasionally, but only because people give them to him (ie GSP in their first fight, Trigg in their secong bout) His Jiujitsu/grappling skills really aren't that great compared to other top tier fighters. 60% of his game is his freakish strength. I think whoever wins the Penn/Saint Pierre fight will eat him for breakfast.

Matt Hughes isnt my favorite fighter either, but I have to disagree with you here. Matt realized he had to step up his game after losing to BJ Penn and has evolved into a damn good ground fighter. He trains with Jeremy Horn who is a ground wizard.

Just look at how he reversed a fairly tight kimura from st. pierre into an armbar. That isnt basic jui-jitsu. Thats advanced shit.

JL_204 said:
Overall a pretty solid show.

Bang's quick KO was cool.

I wish I could see more of Irvins standup.

Tim Sylvia didnt impress me at all. His footwork was bad and he seems a bit uncooridinated.

Although Leben annoys the shit out of me, hes one tough dude. Rivera is no slouch.

he's 6'8 how coordinated would you want him to be
Bang's KO was awsome lol

JL_204 said:
Matt Hughes isnt my favorite fighter either, but I have to disagree with you here. Matt realized he had to step up his game after losing to BJ Penn and has evolved into a damn good ground fighter. He trains with Jeremy Horn who is a ground wizard.

Just look at how he reversed a fairly tight kimura from st. pierre into an armbar. That isnt basic jui-jitsu. Thats advanced shit.

that's not quite how I remember it
also I was supirsed with Burkman
I'd like to see him and Josh Koscheck go at it
as well as him and Diego
or him and Joe Stevenson
the problem with GnP is it's usually a race to the takedown unless one of them can get a good reversal
well unless both of them have good reversals actually

Kane Fan said:
he's 6'8 how coordinated would you want him to be
Bang's KO was awsome lol
isnt Kobe Bryant 6'8" ?

Nothing stopping you from being Co-ordinated at 6'8" . Look at half the damned NBA , theyre ALL WAY more gracful , and half of them are 6'8" or better .

throwing a ball is not grace
I"m talking about at hand to hand combat
I've never understood why tall people tend to have trouble putting their fist where they want it but it's something I've noticed

Kane Fan said:
throwing a ball is not grace
I"m talking about at hand to hand combat
I've never understood why tall people tend to have trouble putting their fist where they want it but it's something I've noticed

Thats why its not called "Catch" , its called Basketball .

I can take from your post that youre not a fan of the game but there is more Grace in it than most sports . Certainly more than in Fighting . The Speed at wich the game isplayed , the elevation , the split second timing and Descision making ...

When you can kick a Basketball off the Rim call me ...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2749157703994289748&q=and1

Grace Personified :
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6345113955894512451&q=basketball+jordan

And making another person do THIS :

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8747460850563795738&q=streetball+hot+sauce

Grace in Action .

I think your definition of grace is a little iffy
the game isn't always played fast
tho speed isn't really grace either
nor is elevation
decision making is limited to social grace at best
timing also isn't grace
grace to me is more about a flow and a ryhtym
which you will find in a strike combination that goes off well or a nicely set up submissiontrap but only find in basketball with passing

Kane Fan said:
I think your definition of grace is a little iffy

Honestly , Im sort of thinking the same , here ...

the game isn't always played fast

Fights arent always Fast , either .

tho speed isn't really grace either

Agreed , Ive seen BEAUTIFUL Crossovers and Jukes perfomed in Slow Motion . You should look for a Streetball legend named "Hot Sauce" . A lot of what he does is deliberately slow , and yet exceptionally graceful .

nor is elevation

I didnt mean the Elevation ITSELF but the things done WHILE elevated in hte game are some of the most Graceful humans are capable of . Look at the Jordan clip and youll see what I mean .

decision making is limited to social grace at best

Youre not following me here : There was a shot that Jordon went for once , He had what he was going to do all planned out - a Jumpshot - then the defenders hands was suddenly ON the ball , and he Redirected it , adjusted his Body Posture , and went for (and MADE) an underhanded scooping layup from UNDER the basket on the other side of the hoop .

This is Grace Under Pressure . Similar things can be sighted in Combat arts , I grant you .

timing also isn't grace
grace to me is more about a flow and a ryhtym

Both of wich are , at the core , all about Timing . You can try to debate this with me , but Im a musician . I know the subject Intimately .

which you will find in a strike combination that goes off well or a nicely set up submissiontrap but only find in basketball with passing

You can find it in a beautifully Executed Crossover , or a Fadeaway , or in the Reamwork of a proper Pick & Roll . You can find it in someones Ball Handling skills , and in the Balletic Above-The-Rim perfomances of people like Jordan , Majic , and Dr. J . George Gervin's ability to change direction in Midair & Finger Roll were universally considered pure Poetry of motion . Pistol Pete Maravich was so beautiful in motion that he was once a one man Halftime Show !

Top Bottom