Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

UFC fans...how would Tyson do?

dead_reggin_storage_fashi said:
one punch with no gloves on?

ouch

I heard getting by tyson back in the day was the same as getting with a wooden bat wrapped with a towel (ESPN ref.)
fuck you youngguns

Frisky said:
lol... I'd love to see some of these fools step in the ring and even go toe to toe with an amature MMA...

And before you all try to diss me... I did study MMA, for quite a few years. I am yet to devote myself back to the sport to get my black belt but it is in due time... I am only a belt away from it... and I must say, I've learned alot.

I'm really tired of explaining the benifit of it... even my beau thinks my training is :rolleyes: ... yet he will not watch my training video's. Thinks the fact that my Sensi allowed me to train against a guy close to two times my weight was insane... also the self defense test where I was subject to being stripped and yelled at etc... all real life things that I had to do over and over to become to immune to... these were insane. Yet... if I were to be attacked on the streets, this is basically what I am going up against. Not to say that it would have me winning, but would for sure have me more prepared.
wow....you definately got taken advatange of...prolly wanna either get a lawyer or just keep that to yourself from now on. :worried:

ouch

I heard getting by tyson back in the day was the same as getting with a wooden bat wrapped with a towel (ESPN ref.)
that would hurt so bad jesus

ouch

i heard its like putting a phonebook to your head and then having someone hit that as hard as they can with a bat..

SublimeZM said:
wow....you definately got taken advatange of...prolly wanna either get a lawyer or just keep that to yourself from now on. :worried:

LMAO.. nice find.. I didn't even see that shit.

manny78 said:
I doubt Tyson (in his prime) would be pwned. Yeah he doesnt have kick/ground/choke skills but it would only take one punch in those MMA gloves to KO someone...

just one punch....

People have this distorted perception that Tyson has some kind of "magical" punch that all it takes is one, no matter the circumstances, is going to KO his opponent.

Look at his rounds per fight from 1987 to his loss to Holyfield in '96:

Mar.7 -- James Smith, W 12

May 30 -- Pinklon Thomas, TKO 6

Aug. 1 -- Tony Tucker, W 12

Oct. 16 -- Tyrell Biggs, TKO 7

Jan. 22 -- Larry Holmes,TKO 4

Mar. 21 -- Tony Tubbs, TKO 2

June 27 -- Michael Spinks, KO 1

Feb. 25 -- Frank Bruno, TKO 5

July 21 -- Carl Williams, TKO 1

Feb. 11 -- James Douglas, Tokyo, Japan, KO by 10
(Lost World Heavyweight Title)

June 16 -- Henry Tillman, KO 1

Dec. 8 -- Alex Stewart, KO 1

Mar. 18 -- Donovan Ruddock, TKO 7

June 28 -- Donovan Ruddock, W 12

Aug. 19 -- Peter McNeeley, W DSQ 1

Dec. 16 -- Buster Mathis, Jr, KO 3

Mar. 16 -- Frank Bruno, TKO 3

Sept. 7 -- Bruce Seldon, TKO 1

Nov. 9 -- Evander Holyfield, TKO by 11
(Lost WBA Heavyweight Title)

As you can see, out of his 17 wins of 19 fights, there were six that ended in a 1st round KO. And I'm guessing those KOs didn't come from a single punch, but from a barrage of many punches.

Seven more wins on this list for Tyson came from KO or TKO, but they happened after the first round. So for some fighters to go down, it took SEVERAL rounds of repeatedly absorbing Tyson's punches before they went down. Again, an example that Tyson didn't have a "magic" punch, but had to wear down some opponents with his punches before they went down. The point being: for many fighters, getting hit by Tyson didn't instantly KO them, it took many punches over several rounds.

Then, another three wins for Tyson actually went the distance. Point being: a few fighters took a full 12 rounds of Tyson's punches without getting KO'd.

In a sense, it may be true that it will only take one punch for Tyson to end a fight. But the same can be said for MANY fighters. But the same is true about all these fighters, including Tyson:

The punch has to be timed perfect, it has to connect in the right target area, and it has to be a correct type of punch (Tyson isn't going to KO Cro Cop with a jab!!!).

And the only way to set this up is to do it right, including wearing the opponent out, throwing his fight game off, and outskilling him.

We've seen some devastating wins by fighters just by throwing punches. Tank did it. Liddel does it. Vitor Belfort gave an unforgettable performance against Vanderlei Silva.

Also, with todays fighters leaning more toward stand-up, Tyson may do better today that he would have during the "grappling" period of the UFC, because more fighters may just be more willing to try to stand and strike with him. What would Tim Sylvia's gameplan be against Iron Mike? Or Andrei Arlovski?

As far as what Tyson would do in the Octagon, I'm sure he wouldn't be so ignorant to think he can just walk in and box his way to a victory. Liddel uses takedown defense to keep it standing, crappy ol' Sylvia does the same. Tyson would have to attempt to do the same, probably without nearly the success though.

Point is, if Tyson fought in the UFC I wouldn't be surprised to see him tear apart a few people the same way Tank did in some of his fights.

But the bottom line is, it would take Tyson alot more effort to do it than to just land one single punch!!! A good skilled MMA heavyweight isn't going to go down from a Tyson jab, a Tyson glancing blow, or a Tyson body shot. Alot of fighters took alot of Tyson's power shots before going down, and some never went down. I don't see why it wouldn't be different for MMA fighters, MMA gloves or not.

HumanTarget said:
most of the guys here only remember him as an idiot fuck up. i remember him as a 17 y/o animal who was knocking out grow men like they were children. his last 10 years are going to define him, sadly. he should be remembered as a phenom, because no one ever, would have beaten him at his best.

I gotta agree with this...

Top Bottom