Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training for Submission Grappling

goofball

I posted this on the training board, but didn't get a lot of responses, so I'll try it over here. I apologize for the cross-post.

Original thread:

About a month ago I took up submission grappling and have gotten completely hooked. Naturally I want to modify my training to improve my game, but I'm not entirely sure how I want to go about it.

In my head I want to use a combination of the following:

- Compound movements for overall strength and muscle retention (I'm cutting at the moment, though I'm keeping the caloric defecit low)
- Olympic or modified olympic lifts for explosiveness
- Strongman type stuff for conditioning

Putting it all together is the problem. I have class two or three times a week and I'll lift three times a week. On the days I lift, should I just break it up by day (Day 1 - Power, Day 2 - Oly, etc...)? Or have a little bit of each every day? What specific movements would you use? Am I missing anything?

Any help is appreciated.

It would be best if you first started on working on grip and forearm strength, without a doubt the most important part of submission fighting is keeping hold of someone, speed is also important but that develops once you have the technique in muscle memory and have learnt to link and use techniques

so forearm strength.

1- Get a broomstick, drill a hole through the middle now get a long piece of string tie end to the hole drilled in the broomstick and the other to a brick or some weights around 6k is good. Then hold the stick like a motorbike handle and use your wrists to wind the string around the stick ... like revving a motorbike

2 - scrunch up newspaper

3 - get some of those grippers

4 - get a tennis ball and just squeeze that in your spare time ...

also include pull-ups, chin-ups, climbing etc

Also strong triceps are important

Quite frankly, you gotta be strong everywhere. Do a power-oriented workout, timing your split to best fit your grappling class schedule. Of course, you're going to have to have great cardio in addition to strong muscles, so you'll have to do interval sprints on the stationary bike in between classes. Pedal as hard as you can, to the point where you think your heart will explode, for 30 straight seconds. Then, pedal slowly for one minute. Repeat until you've done 15 repetitions of this cycle. Grappling, as you've figured out, most often happens in bursts of effort, followed by resting in a clinch. Oh, and stretch A LOT...flexibility is a must if you don't want to get hurt.

I know its a little late to be responding to this, but I'll do it anyway.

In my opinion, unless you're a 320 lb slob(which I doubt you are) ditch the cutting. Aesthetics are a hinderance for true athletes.

Stick to functional strength...power/oly lifting

I agree with Kryten about grip training. Its an extremely important and very overlooked aspect of training. However, I disagree with his training methods. Go to www.cyberpump.com and hang out there for a while. You'll learn a shitload about grip training. Its very complex, but fun as hell.

Good luck

Top Bottom