Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training Around Injuries

b fold the truth

Elite Strongman
Platinum
Training Around Injuries (post #1)

These are two very minor points taken from an article in the June 2002, Vol 10. No. 1 MILO Journal.

The general principles for dealing with these minor (wrist, knees, back, shoulders, elbows), invisible injuries are:
*ice it
*identify the cause
*treat it
*wrap it
*alter your training
*be persistent
*be patient
*be intelligent

Naturally, see a doctor, preferable a sports medicine doctor, if you think you need to. I will close with a few of my time-proven cliches:
* Everyone gets knocked down (injured), the champs get back up (heal) the fastest.
* To the young, suppress the pain; To the old, surrender to the pain.
* Whether it be psychological or physiological, it if works and feels good, do it.
* Light weights, no aches, and no medals.
* You have to be tough, but don't be stupid.

Jim Schmitz, U.S. Olympic Weightlifting Team Coach 1980, 1988, 1992

B True

ok......when after an injury do u know to start training again- so u start light and work up, or jump in once u've rested a lot

i injured my back, i can now do chins without any pain but am unwilliong to squat or row due to apprehension. i injured it where the lower back meets the upper back if that makes any sense (i.e. where the spinal errectors 'insert' into the lats andtraps)

Just continually work the area...lightly!!! Work around injuries...not through them. Work on reverse hypers, extremely light goodmornings, pull throughs, and standing abs.

YOU must push yourself at YOUR limits.

B True

standing abs?!?! whats that :confused:

thanx for the reply btw:)

Go to the lat pull down machine and grab the lat pull down bar or something similar. Spread your feet to about where your squat or deadlift stance...and do full range ab pull downs. Try with an arched back, with a rounded back, and with every foot position imaginable.

I do these before every workout...a light set or two of 20 reps to get my entire torso warmed up and stretched. It really stretches my spine, back muscles, and hamstrings a lot.

B True

When I was going through therapy for a couple crushed discs, the therapist showed me what B-Fold is talking about. I do them everytime I do abs. I stand like I'm at pushdown extension and move the bar around in different directions, angles, circular motions. It sounds weird, but try it. After you fall down from the ab burn you will be happy.:)

i injured my back, i can now do chins without any pain but am unwilliong to squat or row due to apprehension.

Danielson, I was booted out of the military for a couple crushed discs in my lumbar. I've been told by military and civilian docs that I should never do deadlifts, squat heavy(or deep, creating an unatural curvature), good mornings, etc, etc.

Some days I can't tie my shoes with falling on the floor and locking up for an hour. But, last week I deadlifted 515. Yesterday I bent over rowed 295 for 6 with good form. Not impressive numbers, but my point being, don't allow apprehension to cheat you, only to help you be wise about it. Get back into it slowly and cautiously.

My right rotator is my next obstacle. I can't flat bench at all, not even 1 plate. So, I tried everything, and found if I used the smith machine with a slightly narrower grip with my elbows in a little, I could go up to 315 for reps and no problem with my shoulder.

Be careful getting back into big movements, but don't waste too much time being apprehensive. I mean, how are you going to deal when that day comes that we run into eachother and spar it out? Better start squattin':D

b-fold = thanx for the explanation :) makes total sense now. thanx for the reply and the thread

thaibox = im gonna take it light and see what happens, and then work up.....im kinda sick of just waiting around not lifting any weights to train my back as its one of my favourite body parts to train :( i have to start traning legs properly soon, doing leg presses is making me sick (i.e. peeing me off)

and your lifts are still more than mine

and if we fight i plan to close my eyes and windmill. if u get hit its not my fault ;)

thanx 4 the reply btw :)

Thaibox: Now we gotta fix your shoulder. Although I don't like the smith machine...it is good to see that you are getting back into the swing of things and found a way to make it work for you.

B True

Thanks B. I have been stupid and assumed that since I have always had strong shoulders that my rotators would be good to go. So, I never isolated them. Now I'm paying for it.

But, I did free incline barbell for the first time in months. I cautiously got up to 275 and started feeling my shoulder at 7 reps , so I called it quits. But, its lookin' good.:) Still can't flat at all though.

Top Bottom