Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Traffic stop reveals $750,000 stash

• Thread starter Thread starter Spartacus
  • Start date Start date
S

Spartacus

A traffic stop in the small town of Beatty netted a large amount of cash for the Nye County Sheriff's Office on Tuesday.

More than $750,000 in cash was found in three hidden compartments built into a pickup truck that police stopped for speeding and failing to stop at a stop sign.

The driver of the truck, identified by police as Maria Villananeda, 33, of Iowa, claimed she didn't know the money was there and didn't know who it belonged to.

The woman, who had two children with her, told police she was on her way to California on vacation. She was released with no charges filed, but police kept the truck and the cash for further investigation.

Sheriff Tony DeMeo called it the largest cash seizure in Nye County history, surpassing a $676,000 haul during a traffic stop in Tonopah in 2002.

Deputy Dan Pineau spotted the truck while conducting a drug patrol Tuesday afternoon on U.S. Highway 95 in Beatty, 115 miles northwest of Las Vegas.

DeMeo said Pineau's drug-sniffing dog "hit" on the vehicle. No narcotics were found, but "the money was probably tainted with drugs," he said.

The cash was in various denominations and was sealed in packages with the amounts written on the outside.

"It took until 4 o'clock in the morning to count all the money," DeMeo said.

The $750,111 was taken to a bank in Pahrump and deposited on Wednesday, "under police guard of course," DeMeo said.

Once the investigation is complete, the sheriff's office should get to keep some or all of the money, which will be earmarked for drug enforcement, DeMeo said.

Late last year, police in Boulder City seized more than $500,000 that was stashed in the spare tire of a vehicle passing through that community.

In that case, the money was discovered after the vehicle's driver stopped at an auto parts store because he noticed that the spare tire had come loose. When he went to fix it, the cash started coming out and blowing around the parking lot.

DeMeo said this was the second large haul in a month for Pineau and his dog, Derek. A few weeks ago, the pair assisted in the seizure of a half pound of methamphetamine in Beatty.

"We usually don't come across that kind of quantity," DeMeo said. "We usually find it in grams."

"Late last year, police in Boulder City seized more than $500,000 that was stashed in the spare tire of a vehicle passing through that community.

In that case, the money was discovered after the vehicle's driver stopped at an auto parts store because he noticed that the spare tire had come loose. When he went to fix it, the cash started coming out and blowing around the parking lot."

I wish there was money hiding in my car..Hell I am gonna go outside and tear the whole car apart in hopes.

Why do the police get to keep it?

They have criminalized cash and gotten away with it
They have over the years through laws and the courts shifted the burden to the individual to show that the money is "legitimate" instead of the old, long standing principle, innocent until proven guilty
The burden used to be on them to prove a law was broken, and the mere presence of money was not sufficient evidence of a crime

For the same reason that they get to keep the drugs, and booze that they confiscate. Bullshit I know, but allowed.

Spartacus said:
Why do the police get to keep it?

They have criminalized cash and gotten away with it
They have over the years through laws and the courts shifted the burden to the individual to show that the money is "legitimate" instead of the old, long standing principle, innocent until proven guilty
The burden used to be on them to prove a law was broken, and the mere presence of money was not sufficient evidence of a crime

Yeah, its bullshit. When I worked for an airline in the cargo department we had some weirdo acting funny while shipping something. Well we have the right to search any packages we deem questionable. We open it up when he leaves and its a shitload of cash. One of our retarded employees calls the port police. They come out with a drug sniffing dog. They line some things up on the floor and let the dog go, dog shows no interest in any of the piles containing the cash. They do it again, no interest. They call for a new dog and tell us this one is still in training. New dog arrives, they line everything up, new dog shows no interest. They remove all the employees from the area, claiming we might be making the dog nervous. Police are alone with the dog and cash in our warehouse. They finish their test and tell us the dog smells drugs on the cash and they have to seize it. One of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.

scummy fucking cops... fucking sickens me..

half the old 50 and hundred dollar bills in circulation were tainted with coke.. would they have been ustified in siezing that money too?

Stopping a car for speeding should not be a valid reason to search a car, or bring out the dogs. See this case:

Oyez: Knowles v. Iowa, 525 U.S. 113 (1998), U.S. Supreme Court Case Summary & Oral Argument

Justices Question Iowa Law Allowing the Police to Search Cars in Traffic Violations - New York Times

From the article:

With a speeding violation, ''the offense is complete when the car is brought to a stop,'' Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist said, adding, ''There is no more evidence to look for.''

If the police have no other reason to suspect there was a crime committed, then they should have no standing to confiscate the money and place the burden on the driver to prove it was acquired legally.

Innocent until proven guilty should be the standard. Asking the driver to explain the origin of the money is guilty until proven innocent.

The cash is none of the police's business anymore than if the driver had bought a diamond necklace and was wearing it around their neck when they got stopped

Half the problem is that idiots consent to a search after the cop convinces them that they have no choice, or will be in trouble if they don't consent. Truth is, there pretty much has to be something illegal viewable in the car or the smell of drugs for the cop to have the right to search without your consent. If a cop asks if he can search your car, the right answer is always NO. He asks why, you don't have to give any answer other than "Because I know my rights, and you have NO RIGHT."

canadianhitman said:
Half the problem is that idiots consent to a search after the cop convinces them that they have no choice, or will be in trouble if they don't consent. Truth is, there pretty much has to be something illegal viewable in the car or the smell of drugs for the cop to have the right to search without your consent. If a cop asks if he can search your car, the right answer is always NO. He asks why, you don't have to give any answer other than "Because I know my rights, and you have NO RIGHT."

Exactly. Even as a highschooler I knew this and used it more than once to save my own ass :)

Top Bottom