Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Truth About Harvard

javaguru

Banned
Interesting article about grade inflation.

The Truth About Harvard - Ross Douthat - The Atlantic

Interesting excerpts...

"More than 90 percent of the class of 2001 had earned grade-point averages of B-minus or higher. Half of all the grades given the year before were As or A-minuses; only six percent were C-pluses or lower. By way of comparison, in 1940 C-minus was the most common GPA at Harvard, and in 1955 just 15 percent of undergraduates had a GPA of B-plus or higher."

"What lay behind this trend? Writing in the college newspaper, the Crimson, Mansfield posited some historical factors. "Grade inflation got started … when professors raised the grades of students protesting the war in Vietnam," he argued. "At that time, too, white professors, imbibing the spirit of the new policies of affirmative action, stopped giving low grades to black students, and to justify or conceal this, also stopped giving low grades to white students." (As you might imagine, this theory was hotly contested.) But the main culprit now was simply this: "The prevalence in American education of the notion of self-esteem." Mansfield wrote, "According to that therapeutic notion, the purpose of education is to make students feel capable and 'empowered,' and professors should hesitate to pass judgment on what students have learned."

"A Harvard graduate may have read no Shakespeare or Proust; he may be unable to distinguish Justinian the Great from Julian the Apostate, or to tell you the first ten elements in the periodic table (God knows I can't). But one need only mention "Mass Culture in Nazi Germany" or "Constructing the Samurai" and his eyes will light up with fond memories."

The last excerpt reminds me of a law professor of mine, a Harvard Law grad, telling the class, "If you want to learn about post deconstructionism then go to Harvard law, we're going to teach you legal theory."

ala bill gates

Indeed, in a free market for higher education everyone would have to make a decision about the value of higher education. Is going into debt 100k and losing four years of wages for a degree in english literature worth it?

Indeed, in a free market for higher education everyone would have to make a decision about the value of higher education. Is going into debt 100k and losing four years of wages for a degree in english literature worth it?

yes

if eng lit is your passion

yes

if eng lit is your passion

Indeed, I agree with subjective value in economics. How would that work in a non-government subsidized system? You work and pay as you go because you value it; You don't get grants and subsidies because every degree is considered equally valuable.

I actually work intimately with harvard and their affiliates, and funny enough i do have a degree in english lit though from a state school, and let me tell you those bastards are smart as hell, though they may be the dumbest smart people you ever meet, all brains no common sense lol

I actually work intimately with harvard and their affiliates, and funny enough i do have a degree in english lit though from a state school, and let me tell you those bastards are smart as hell, though they may be the dumbest smart people you ever meet, all brains no common sense lol

When your metrics are based on the average, which has an 8th grade reading level and even those on a college track in your average public school need remedial math and english to enter college level coursework, being at your developmental level makes you "wicked smart" in comparison to your peers. My best friend from high school had an academic scholarship to the University of Miami and he related a story about meeting his roomie. They were getting to know each other and his roomie asked what his father did for a living. He responded, "My father is a cars salesman." His roomie responded, "How many dealerships does he own?" His dad was a car salesman..:)He got his MPA and worked at the University of Chicago in admin dealing with student organizations and he had all kinds of stories about entitled rich kids.

It's all who you know and who you blow

Top Bottom