Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

So apparently Microsoft investors are pressuring them to drop Xbox, E&D division

hanselthecaretaker

High End Bro
Platinum
After J. Allard said peace-out it seems the shareholders are becoming more vocal about their thoughts-
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Microsoft's Latest Video Game Gamble
Investors think Microsoft would do better if it just exited consumer businesses

By Peter Burrows, Dina Bass, Adam Satariano and Cliff Edwards

On June 15, at a video game convention in Los Angeles, Microsoft (MSFT) will unveil a little box of outsize importance. Code-named Project Natal, the device will be an add-on to Microsoft's aging Xbox 360 game console, which has shipped 40 million units in five years. Xbox sales have been slowing since Sony (SNE) cut the price of the PlayStation 3 console last summer, but Microsoft hopes Natal will revive the Xbox—because it lets users play games without a controller. Just drive your pretend car or swing your virtual baseball bat and Natal, which sits in front of the TV and has built-in sensors, picks up the motion. Following the event in L.A., Microsoft is launching an ad blitz leading up to a consumer release in October.

Microsoft needs Natal—or whatever it's called by the time it goes on sale—to be a hit. The technology is inarguably cool, and is a rare bright spot in Microsoft's decade-old—and thus far mostly disappointing—push to move beyond PCs and into game consoles, music players, and smartphones. Operating income at its Entertainment & Devices unit, which is responsible for those products, is expected to come in at $773 million for the year that ends June 30, according to UBS Securities (UBS). That's a 10 percent operating margin, compared with 72 percent for Windows, its most profitable business. While the Xbox is a strong No. 2 in the video game market (after the Nintendo Wii), the entertainment division has lost $8.6 billion on sales of $49 billion since 1999, estimates Katherine Egbert of Jeffries & Co. An initiative to build Internet-based TV systems has yet to take off, and its iPod-like Zune music players have bombed. While Apple (AAPL) just sold its two millionth iPad, Microsoft recently scrapped a tablet code-named Courier. In smartphones, Microsoft's share in the first quarter was 6.8 percent, down from 10.2 percent the year before.

The Natal device, which is expected to retail for about $100, won't sell in volumes high enough to matter much financially for the world's largest software company. But since it works with the current Xbox 360 console, it could reinvigorate sales of that device. That means Microsoft could put off having to field a new console, which would lose hundreds of millions of dollars for a few years; profits come from higher-margin sales of games it creates such as the Halo franchise, as well as its cut on Xbox titles made by other companies. Natal could also fuel greater interest in Microsoft's most impressive consumer play, the Xbox Live online service. More than 23 million gamers use it to play each other over the Net, as well as to download movies and music.

If Natal takes off, Microsoft might be able to extend its reach into other platforms. It could be built into PC monitors and big-screen TVs, allowing consumers to control those devices by speech or motion, moving family photos the way Tom Cruise moved pictures and videos around in Minority Report. Forrester Research (FORR) analyst Sarah Rotman Epps envisions families synching their Natal-based Xbox console with Windows-based tablets such as the new model just announced by ASUSTeK, so each family member could easily download movies or books. "That would make Microsoft relevant for the next decade," she says.

Even as the company hypes Natal and its new mobile software, Windows Phone7, investors don't expect smash hits; in fact, they'd settle for small losses on these and other gadgets. "It's hard to make the case this has been a good use of shareholder capital," says Todd S. Lowenstein, who runs HighMark Capital's value fund. "I don't fault them for trying this stuff, but investors are getting impatient." Other investors suggest that, like IBM (IBM) a decade ago, Microsoft should refocus its efforts on its massively profitable PC and corporate software businesses. Its cash from operations last quarter alone was $7.4billion, a company record. Yet its shares are down about 50percent since Steve Ballmer took over as CEO on Jan.13, 2000. "The stock would go up if Microsoft exited its consumer businesses," says Bill Whyman of ISI Group.

Whyman knows Microsoft won't give up on entertainment. The company has long poured money into maturing markets from word processing to Web browsers, beating market pioneers by underpricing them into submission. "Ballmer's answer is always, 'We'll keep coming,' " says Whyman. "That's not a very comforting answer."

The bottom line: Despite pressure from investors and a flat stock price, Microsoft will keep searching for hits in games, phones, and other devices.

Microsoft's Latest Video Game Gamble - BusinessWeek
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If that were the case and Xbox went kaput along with Zune and Windows Mobile, then maybe they could finally put an honest effort into cultivating Game for Windows into something worthwhile, seeing as how it's still part of their bread and butter, which could only end up dominating even more. Why they didn't do this in the first place is a big wtf.

good...next up is sony. Once that corupulent anal refuse is out of the market we can get back to sega/nintendo....they way it's supposed to be. But I'm sure if microsoft exits apple will take a stab at it...they still might anyway. These companies that are beholden to their shareholders to the extent that sony, microsoft and apple are.....gotta go, no place for you in consoles.

good...next up is sony. Once that corupulent anal refuse is out of the market we can get back to sega/nintendo....they way it's supposed to be. But I'm sure if microsoft exits apple will take a stab at it...they still might anyway. These companies that are beholden to their shareholders to the extent that sony, microsoft and apple are.....gotta go, no place for you in consoles.

I agree to an extent but Apple wouldn't be any better than MS or Sony. Microsoft, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc. should start investing more in fortifying the PC gaming market and replace DRM with a less intrusive, more dynamic authentication process. IE think more like Valve/Blizzard. Any sales still lost to piracy would be small change compared to the ocean of marketshare available. Nintendo can have the consoles (I doubt Sega will ever get back into hardware), chump change next to what PC gaming could be.

Also, it'd be nostalgic to see arcade make a comeback. But that's wishful thinking.

man how epic those 2 were, wish they were still around as for nintendo atleast the way it used to be

XBOX is a hell of a more solid unit over FANBOY PS3, people just don't like to admit it. Hell they havent done any changes to their controllers since PS2. Let alone all the times that thing froze up on the internet on me and the 9 hour load times per game.

So why would Microsoft DROP xbox 360, when they admit all the loses are from other things such as those TERRIBLE ZUNE players. The investors are retarded, they need to tell them to make better OTHER products, no reason to drop something that actually SELLS just because they hate the REST of the division. Retards...

XBOX is a hell of a more solid unit over FANBOY PS3, people just don't like to admit it.

lol, xbox 360 failure rate vs ps3 - Google Search

Hell they havent done any changes to their controllers since PS2.

No point in fixing what ain't broke. I played through MW2 on Veteran just fine with the "horribly placed" analog sticks. Killzone 2 is even more challenging a game with the weighted aim but no problem there either.
Now, try playing a fighting game with that clunky ass Xbox 360 D-pad. Maybe they should've changed that.

Let alone all the times that thing froze up on the internet on me and the 9 hour load times per game.

I've had the internet freeze up too lol. Load times, it depends on the developer. When Xbox is lead platform, it loads faster. PS3 lead platform, it loads faster, or at least comparable. Exclusives are generally even better. Boot up a new game of God of War 3 and you won't find any load times, not to mention the game streams from the Blu-ray disc with no HDD install. That's what a good developer can do.

So why would Microsoft DROP xbox 360, when they admit all the loses are from other things such as those TERRIBLE ZUNE players. The investors are retarded, they need to tell them to make better OTHER products, no reason to drop something that actually SELLS just because they hate the REST of the division. Retards...

Sounds like you didn't even read the article, which explained all that pretty clearly.

lol, xbox 360 failure rate vs ps3 - Google Search

No point in fixing what ain't broke. I played through MW2 on Veteran just fine with the "horribly placed" analog sticks. Killzone 2 is even more challenging a game with the weighted aim but no problem there either.
Now, try playing a fighting game with that clunky ass Xbox 360 D-pad. Maybe they should've changed that.

I've had the internet freeze up too lol. Load times, it depends on the developer. When Xbox is lead platform, it loads faster. PS3 lead platform, it loads faster, or at least comparable. Exclusives are generally even better. Boot up a new game of God of War 3 and you won't find any load times, not to mention the game streams from the Blu-ray disc with no HDD install. That's what a good developer can do.

Sounds like you didn't even read the article, which explained all that pretty clearly.

LOL @ not reading, The division is shitty out money, has nothing to do with Xbox as it clearly states so Im not sure what you're referring to.

Those controllers are terribly designed, so just because you are used to them, that dual joystick non-sense is terribly designed...

I don't play arcade style fighting games, they bore me to death, and that d-pad only selects gadgets and things in shooters and minimally used for more than options in sports games. Works perfectly and perfectly placed to work for it's uses.

lol @ not bad load times, 95% of the games I played have 20min "updates" the first time I played them and god was online multiplayer laggy on the majority of games I played.

As I said, FANBOYS are what keeps PS alive...

LOL @ not reading, The division is shitty out money, has nothing to do with Xbox as it clearly states so Im not sure what you're referring to.

Those controllers are terribly designed, so just because you are used to them, that dual joystick non-sense is terribly designed...

I don't play arcade style fighting games, they bore me to death, and that d-pad only selects gadgets and things in shooters and minimally used for more than options in sports games. Works perfectly and perfectly placed to work for it's uses.

lol @ not bad load times, 95% of the games I played have 20min "updates" the first time I played them and god was online multiplayer laggy on the majority of games I played.

As I said, FANBOYS are what keeps PS alive...

LOL @ you being an MS fanboy.

I'll agree with you on the ps3 controllers.. that said, I play the same games on both consoles and don't notice a difference between my gameplay, it's just a comfort thing.

Top Bottom