Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

rugby

thriller

my friend just started playing rugby (switched from hockey) can anyone give me some sport specific excerises that i can offer him.
thanks

I myself am a huge rugby player. :)
Ummm, i don't know exactly what you're looking for... but for Rugby you need both speed and strength... i was always a quick mofo, but i work my legs like a mofo and my upper body as well to keep up with the big boys..... gain leg strength, but maintain speed as well.
I am the captain of my schools team... and i am only 5'7" and 160lbs.

I've played rugby for 10 years of my 18 on this planet and have been lifting weights for 3 years and done other fitness training for my sport for thwe last 2 or 3.

Basically, it depends on your position and the fitness components for your game. ALL PLAYERS NEED EXCELLENT ENDURANCE. aside from that factor, position speciffic training can varry greatly....thats why you see very difrent body types on the field.
The front row should concentrate on strength, power and scrumaging skills whilst a centre would concentrate on explosive power, agility, speed and strength.......

Cleans are a must with weights, squats, deads, bench press and lots of sprinting, jogs and most of all just play the game, you will get the fitness from just playing alot.......conditions your body to take hits too......

good luck

Sprint intervals work well for backs, Forwards do a lot more jogging around so perhaps 200-500 m intervals would work better

I used to play Winger at school. One of the finest Rugby Colleges in the country - Saint Josephs college Hunter Hill :)

Anyway at training we did lots of tackling practise and wind sprints. Back then I thought it was torture, but in hindsight it was well worth it. We didn't much organised weight training. So I basicly did the usual squats and bench work by myself.

Ahh if I had known half the stuff I know and do now, I would have been a monster back then!

Last edited:
Welsh power house said:
Forward?

eh?

Damn, welsh, were in the same boat here. Except for i think i'm the only guy in america who has played rugby since youth instead of football. I'm 20 and have played since i was 9 (played with a under 19 club ) .
I'm a back trapped in a forwards body. Pushing 255lbs, and play fullback or wing. Great deal of straight ahead speed. In the offseason I lift 3 days a week (M/W/F) , sprints and agility and plyometrics 2 days a week (T/TR), and endurance on saturdays. As the season nears, i normally switch endurance to 2 days a week and sprints to 1. hope this helps.

cheers

HAHA, yeah!

You are 255lbs and play full back or wing????!!!!
thats some serious weight for a back....even for a forward thats huge!

i play center or wing and im 175lbs!!! im only 18 and am still growing but wont get much above 190-200 at a push....well, dont want to......want to stay quick!!

at 255 are you quick?

whats your 100 metre sprint time?

Good luck with your training buddy ;)

Top Bottom